PDA

View Full Version : a question on dedication and progress

bigsean06
04-02-2006, 03:46 PM
I have a question regarding full body transformations. can anyone describe the amount of mental focus and dedication it takes to go through a full body transformation. As well as the physical hard work that it takes?

I am a former athlete that has let himself go. weight 340lbs at 6'3. I am trying to get the mental focus to get my health back in order. I am having the hardest time jump starting things. I do not have a workout partner to help me in a gym and can only afford a personal trainer from time to time.

I am not in a rush to lose weight and get into shape. I do understand that I have years of hard work ahead of me. But I am having a hard time staying focused and it just gets frustrating.

Can anyone give me some information. Maybe methods that helped them stay motivated.

AphtaLyfe
04-02-2006, 03:51 PM
When I used to be fat my motivation was looking in the mirror and seeing a disgusting object. Whenever I would feel inclined to eat something counterproductive to my weight loss, I would grab my stomach and eventually the urge to eat would fade.

I went from 180-145 in about 4months. Nothing close to what you're trying to do, but still a transformation.

One of the most important things to losing weight is consistency. Make sure your diet is tolarable, otherwise you will end up binge eating.

Good Luck

bigsean06
04-02-2006, 03:58 PM
i know what you mean about looking in the mirror. it is almost depressing. thank you for the advice

Tomek
04-02-2006, 03:58 PM
Back in July 05 i was 280 pounds today im at 199.6 pounds..

Basically the clock is ticking, days are going by.. months are rolling by and years are passing... the sooner you start the sooner you'll enjoy a great body.

Good luck

Phreek
04-03-2006, 07:53 AM
Back in July 05 i was 280 pounds today im at 199.6 pounds..

Basically the clock is ticking, days are going by.. months are rolling by and years are passing... the sooner you start the sooner you'll enjoy a great body.

Good luck

I have to bump this up. This is one of the best post's I've seen in a long time.

KeepintheFaith
04-03-2006, 11:40 AM
Yep, good post by Tomek! bigsean06, I saw your age (31) and that struck home with me. I was about 300lbs at the age of 31 and was fed up with how I felt. I began jogging and shed a good deal of weight. I recognized after a while that I needed to incorporate weight training too. I struggled with doing things right and gathered info along the way. I realized that food wasn't bad if it was the right kind. I started the weight training, eating protein, etc and made good strides at dropping fat and adding muscle. THEN, I discovered BodyBuilding.com and learned tons of great info, especially when I began reading this forum. I am now 33 and at 210lbs and about 15% body fat (estimation). I want to get down lower on the body fat and keep adding muscle. Now, by no means is accomplishing your goals going to be easy. If they were, they wouldn't be worth very much would they? I am glad it requires a lot of hard work because those of us who end up with good bodies deserve to stand out. If for no other reason you exercise, do it to live longer. I personally feel that the more results you get, and the more compliments on your results you get, that you'll keep striving to be the best you can be. Don't be intimidated by the amount of time it may take to lose the weight properly. You are still young, don't let anyone tell you otherwise, but time eventually will play a factor (don't look past that either). You have made the first steps in the right direction by showing interest, now follow up on it! Be a student of things. Read these forums, they are priceless in assisting with the best way to proceed! Most of all, ask for support and encouragement here or from friends when you need it. Remember, keep the faith! Best wishes!

blinky99
04-03-2006, 11:56 AM
Ya it may take a while but all the info you need is out there or here. you just need to start and keep it up dispite anything that happens until you reach your ideal goal/apperance. for me its about appearance, was the fat kid practicaly since i started school,poor nutrition in retrospect. finished highschool and that **** ass food i ate there ,free gym at college decided to change everything and i did. lot i learned through trial.error lot on msg boards like this. but if you dont have dedication/determination nothing will happen. finish of highschool id say i was 175 5'7 no muscular definition now im 150 about 13 bf% pretty muscular

KeepintheFaith
04-03-2006, 12:44 PM
Ya it may take a while but all the info you need is out there or here. you just need to start and keep it up dispite anything that happens until you reach your ideal goal/apperance. for me its about appearance, was the fat kid practicaly since i started school,poor nutrition in retrospect. finished highschool and that **** ass food i ate there ,free gym at college decided to change everything and i did. lot i learned through trial.error lot on msg boards like this. but if you dont have dedication/determination nothing will happen. finish of highschool id say i was 175 5'7 no muscular definition now im 150 about 13 bf% pretty muscular

You're right about the dedication and determination blinky99! bigsean06,I want to follow up a bit more on my first post. The amount of success you have totally depends on what YOU put into it. If you are serious, you can reach incredible goals and you have to stay focused. Some may even accuse you of going overboard, they just don't get it or understand the level of discipline it takes. Don't let that referred discipline intimidate you though because it gets easier to stay disciplined once things get rolling. You may have to do things like buy/bring food to certain social occasions that is different from what EVERYONE else is having. You may then catch yourself at the wrong end of a verbal jab or two, but don't compromise as you will have the last laugh when you look good and they don't! How satisfiying is that notion? You'll even have a lot of the "nay sayers" asking you for advice as you achieve. It's been worth EVERY drop of sweat for me thus far and I trust it will be for you!

HYP3R
04-03-2006, 01:07 PM
Good posts above mine, so I wont bore you too much with mine.

What I found to help me was something very simple. You are already doing it now. You are reading! Thats the first step, congrats! Now to move on to other steps that are just as simple. DIET!! You are what you eat? Yep, if you eat like a fat slob you will be a fat slob. If you eat healthy and wisely, you will start to 'feel' better. What do I mean by 'feel' better? Well if you are eating like crap, you are no doubt causing insulin spikes and your blood sugars are going ape ****. You feel good for an hour or so then come down and feel depressed. That happened alot to me before I found this site. So look into a diet that you can stick with. I love the body for life diet myself. I love the fact that I can eat 5-6 meals a day and lose weight while doing it. Also I have energy throughout the day.

Here is something very simple also. Make sure you wear an MP3 player while lifting. Music is a driving force and so are you!

Next take alot of 'before pics'. DONT FORGET TO DO THIS!! I regret not taking certain pics when I was at my heaviest. Take a pic like every 1-3 months. You will see a difference then. Also dont weigh yourself to often. It gets depressing. Weigh in at once every month or every other month.

Well thats about it. Oh ya, LIFT HEAVY AND PROGRESSIVE!! Dont start out trying to impress people in the gym. Most don't even care about you anyways. So get in the zone with your MP3 player and ROCK THE WEIGHTS!

Damn that sounded cheesy..lol oh well... :D

KeepintheFaith
04-03-2006, 02:02 PM
Yup, nothing like some of those "Before" pic's to get the drive put into high gear!

El Pena
04-03-2006, 03:28 PM
Definitely take some pics I know when you are really big its not something you really like doing, but if I hadn't found some of my old pics this past December I would have quit, sometimes life will make you rethink things and some days you just feel like its not worth it, but always keep looking forward and don't forget why you started down this road.

One thing that I recommend to maintain motivation is buy a pair of pants that are a size smaller than what you wear now, every 2 weeks or so try them on, once those fit buy the next size down, it gives me alot more motivation than a damned scale. Just watch that your legs don't get too big because I can't fit into 32's due to my legs being too big, actually I can't fit into most 34s unless they have really wide legs :D.

garlichead
04-03-2006, 04:06 PM
Don't think that far in advance Sean.Start with a proper eating routine that will ensure you get all the nutrients you will need and start thinking about making a permanent change in your eating and lifestyle habits.This will definately shed lbs slowly each week.Of course just controling what you eat will only take you so far,you need to start exercising at least 3 times a week
for about 30 minutes at least,then take it from there,who knows where you'll end up.....one thing is for sure if you do...... you'll be healthier and happier.

I know my transformation that I started Jan 02,2006 is in full swing and when I look in the mirror....that is motivation enough.....I will never go back,ever.
I wish you luck.

onlyiron
04-03-2006, 04:35 PM
I have a question regarding full body transformations. can anyone describe the amount of mental focus and dedication it takes to go through a full body transformation. As well as the physical hard work that it takes?

I am a former athlete that has let himself go. weight 340lbs at 6'3. I am trying to get the mental focus to get my health back in order. I am having the hardest time jump starting things. I do not have a workout partner to help me in a gym and can only afford a personal trainer from time to time.

I am not in a rush to lose weight and get into shape. I do understand that I have years of hard work ahead of me. But I am having a hard time staying focused and it just gets frustrating.

Can anyone give me some information. Maybe methods that helped them stay motivated.

Sean,
I feel a lot of your pain. I'm 30 and weighed close to 300lbs when I started in January of this year. I'm a former athlete (football player) who has also gotten really out of shape. The worst part is, in college I got down to a real healthy weight but blew it and got fat again.

You are realistic in that this takes time. However, results happen along the way and that is a great motivator. You have to find sources of motivation in your life. My dad is 65, type 2 diabetic, and doesn't give a crap about it. He pounds ice cream and chocolate and just shoots up more insulin. I look at him and I know that will be me unless I make changes NOW. I have two kids as well. I want to be around when they get married and have kids of there own. I want to be able to play with them and not collapse from walking 100 feet. I have a nice weight bench in my apartment so I can't walk past it without seeing it. There's no way I am going to let that thing that cost so much money just sit there.

You can do this. But remember, it is ultimately up to YOU. This site is a great source of knowledge, information, and motivation. Use it.

Good luck!

Tomek
04-03-2006, 05:17 PM
Too add to the array of motivation here, i've got to throw in that it is you who has to do it... you have to get the ball rolling all we can do is support you.. sure we can give you advice, compliments and constructive critisism but bottom line is your the one who determines if your shedding the weight or not... I can say its the worst feeling in the world lieing in bed thinking about your weight problems as you soon realise your in on the project alone... but at the same time it can be one of the most rewarding feelings in the world... lieing in bed knowing that you put in 100% today and you couldn't do anything better.. it's an awesome feeling mate, it's something i do each night!

Good luck mate..

this might be worth a geezer

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=656995

Sherazad
04-03-2006, 09:01 PM
October 04, I was 305 Lbs, today I'm 207 and healthy. One thing that will contribute to your success, is that the fact that you HAVE to want it. If you want it deep down, you'll attain it. I've seen people try and fail, and try again, only to fail again. If YOU want to change, you will. To help me change, I've thought about how it would feel to take my shirt off and feel good about how I look, and I've set rewards for myself when I reach my "perfect" body. My Reward is a Motorcycle, but I'll probably never reach my idea of a "perfect" body. Just do this much, for one month, give it all you have. I mean eat EXTREMELY well (go to the forums to get help on a meal plan), and wor your ass off in the gym (lifting hard, and doing cardio), after a month you'll see a difference in your body and you'll be rolling. Keep going month after month and you'll do it. I understand the beginning is the hardest, but once you are rolling you keep going. You see the results day by day. DO NOT keep putting it off and say "I'll start tomorrow" or "Next week souds good". Plus, you don't need a trainer to succeed. The least you can do is start running outside (don't even need a gym membership). One of the biggest thing that pushed me to make my transformation was the fact that I want to bee at my greatest genetic potential. I hope what I have said has helped.

Confucius Taoka
04-03-2006, 09:13 PM
It depends on the individual, but since you said that you "let yourself go", I'm pretty sure you have adapted to a rather lazy mindset, hence you may need to enforge all your mindstrength to make it successful...

I've been losing body fat lately, and though my numbers on the scale have been dropping rather slowly ( a pound a week on average), I have noticed considerable changes in my body, I'm losing belly fat. It takes a lot of mental focus... you have to push yourself to not to get tempted to eat what you buddies are eating (burgers etc), its like smoking for me, I recently tried again to quit, I only had like half a cig (a few puffs) recently, but other than that, some of my fds I hang around smoke, and I try not to smoke...
I'll give you one more example... I used to be lazy with my cardio, I'd only got 15 minutes max... and even if I do a 30 minute sessions, I spend a lot of time stopping and walking, but recnetly, I've been pushing myself out of bed early in the morning, and running non stop...

Jim_Gym
04-03-2006, 09:59 PM
With dedication, I have made a big transformation in as little as a fifteen months. Went from 35 years old and 5' 7", 187 lbs., out of shape 25% b.f. down to 142 lbs. and pretty lean and somewhat muscular, maybe around 12% on this first cut I am on. I look completely different with proper diet, weighthlifting and cardio. Anyone can make a big difference in as litttle as even six months or a year if they want it bad enough. Do it!

bigsean06
04-18-2006, 04:29 PM
Wow, all these posts and information is great. it took me 2 weeks to find the post I made so I could see the replies. Thank you for all the information. I have already started doing some things that you all suggested. I am currently about to tighten up my diet. I am not making a drastic change in my diet. I am making changes every week. I take one thing out such as sugar, excess carbs, excess calories. and I am replacing them with the correct foods. I started doing weights and started too hard. felt like i pulled every muscle in my body.

I dont want to ramble on too much. I am keeping a journal on my PC and I will post my results. I am also going to refer back to this thread whenever I need some motivation

THANK YOU EVERYONE

haleluyah
04-18-2006, 06:51 PM
if you really want to lose weight, i find that your body reacts naturally with your mind. If you want, you will. Keeping a journal or some sort of database sure helps some people out.

Then again, if you are strong in your mind. Those paper work arent necessary.