PDA

View Full Version : About 50 Lbs Overweight

George Costanza
02-22-2008, 09:43 PM
Well, as of 3 weeks ago I weighed 234 pounds (I'm only 5'11")..

I started lifting and changing my diet...and I've lost 9 pounds so far (down to 226) but to be honest I still look like a fatass (though no one can believe I weigh 226...).

Anyway, what do you guys suggest? The goal is to get down to about 180 pounds by June 1st. Is there any way that's possible? If there isn't, what's a more realistic goal? If there is, what would you guys suggest for me to accomplish that? Cause at this rate I'll only be down to about 200 by summer.

Braindrop
02-23-2008, 11:12 AM
Long term, expect to lose 1-2 pounds/week. More than that and you're likely cannibalizing muscle. You didn't put it all on overnight, it won't go away overnight either...

minexdy1013
02-23-2008, 11:31 AM

I started lifting and changing my diet...and I've lost 9 pounds so far (down to 226) but to be honest I still look like a fatass (though no one can believe I weigh 226...).

Anyway, what do you guys suggest? The goal is to get down to about 180 pounds by June 1st. Is there any way that's possible? If there isn't, what's a more realistic goal? If there is, what would you guys suggest for me to accomplish that? Cause at this rate I'll only be down to about 200 by summer.

High intensity interval training (sprints, biking, swimming)...on top of your workouts. Cut your cal intake.

George Costanza
02-23-2008, 01:30 PM
Long term, expect to lose 1-2 pounds/week. More than that and you're likely cannibalizing muscle. You didn't put it all on overnight, it won't go away overnight either...

Oh I know, which is kinda depressing...considering you don't realize when you're putting it on.

1-2 lbs per week I can live with I guess...especially if I start looking different and clothes start fitting different.

Just that I've read things about people who were in my boat who just can't seem to get rid of the weight :x

cjgeth
02-23-2008, 02:08 PM

I went from 243 to 200 over the summer of '07. The key is to be *consistent*
I just went on realllly long walks (3-4 hrs) since I was too out of shape to run. I started doing push-ups and sit-ups too. I also avoided white bread and sugar, and in general tried to eat little.

Now, I am doing things differently
Rippetoe's workout program works well
Eat small meals as often as you can

Losing weight is pretty easy actually, but a better thing is recomposition. I'm still 200 lbs now after my spring cut, but I've gained some muscle (about 10-15lbs)

Whatever you do, don't worry about rushing it. Good luck. :)

Mr.Zen
02-23-2008, 05:55 PM
Im in a similar boat, and I'm doing the starting strength/rippetoe workout aswel. Pretty much same stats and goals 230-180.

This is my schedule

monday workout a & 30 mins cardio
tuesday 45 mins cardio
wednesday workout b & 30 mins cardio
thursday 45 mins cardio
friday workout a & 30 mins cardio
saturday 45 mins cardio
sunday rest
cardio is either on the bike/elliptical/stairmaster

replicat0r
02-23-2008, 06:15 PM
can anyone link to riptoe?

Bo DeLone
02-23-2008, 06:40 PM

Remember that putting on the 50 extra pounds-took some time to do that.

It will take some time to take it off as well.

9 pounds in 3 weeks is a good start.

George Costanza
02-23-2008, 06:44 PM
I went from 243 to 200 over the summer of '07. The key is to be *consistent*
I just went on realllly long walks (3-4 hrs) since I was too out of shape to run. I started doing push-ups and sit-ups too. I also avoided white bread and sugar, and in general tried to eat little.

Now, I am doing things differently
Rippetoe's workout program works well
Eat small meals as often as you can

Losing weight is pretty easy actually, but a better thing is recomposition. I'm still 200 lbs now after my spring cut, but I've gained some muscle (about 10-15lbs)

Whatever you do, don't worry about rushing it. Good luck. :)

Sorry for being a n00b but what is Rippetoes?

Mr.Zen
02-23-2008, 06:50 PM
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224
there you go

George Costanza
02-23-2008, 10:32 PM