PDA

View Full Version : Can any Rice experts help me please?

ionias
03-26-2006, 03:57 PM
Are you a Rice expert? If so can you please help me determine if this bag of rice I just got is whole grain?

Brand: Uncle Ben's Converted Orginal Enriched Parboiled Long Grain Rice.

Ingredients: Long grain parboiled rice enriched with iron (ferric orthophospahate), thiamin (thiamine mononitrate) and folate(folic acid).

I know how to spot fake wheat bread. If it doesn't have the word "whole" in the ingredients list its a scam. But this stuff has me puzzled its not white rice but is it whole grain?

TammyPAS
03-26-2006, 04:52 PM
Unfortunately, items that say Whole Grain might not be whole grain at all. To be whole grain, the grain contains the germ, the bran, and the endosperm of the plant. Most wheat and grain products have been refined so that they might only contain the endosperm.

To spot a whole grain, make sure there is 2 or more grams of fiber per serving (this is true for cereals too).

The only whole grain rice is brown rice. I go to Whole Foods market (or health food co-op) and buy Jasmine (long grain) brown rice from their dry bulk section. You can steam it with a food steamer or pot-boil it (2:1 water to rice ratio. Bring to boil and cook on low for about 55 min).

Tammy Thomas
www.proactivitysupport.com

ionias
03-26-2006, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the info. Just checked the pkg and it doesn't say anything about the fiber. Just lists 38 carbs, so I assume this isn't whole grain then. :(

Next question: I'm on a bulk right now. How important is the whole grain rice? One of my mid day meals is a cup of rice w/ some chicken. Do I have to pitch this bag of rice and go get the real deal?