PDA

View Full Version : Eat your fish..no mercury worries :-)

wanaBsedated
03-22-2006, 12:55 PM
CT-Journal inquirer Wednesday March 22, 2006....

"Eating fish at least once a week is supposed to be good for the heart, but doing it three or four days a week supposedly isn't right? The fear in Mercury poisoning, especially from large predator fish like swordfish according to the governments national health and nutrition examination survey that every two years examines mercury levels in a wide range of fish and its affects on thousand of people who regularly eat them. But that may NOT be true at all, according to the nonprofit center for consumer freedom. The CCF group is using a full-page ad in this week's US news and world report to announce that concerns over trace amounts of mercury in fish are based on a scientific study whose participants ate lots of whale-meat but little fish. "Environmental scares about trace amounts of mercury in fish rely on a study of island natives who eat huge amounts of whale meat", the CCF explains. "however scientists who study heavy fish-eaters find no health risks from mercury. So unless you're lunching on a moby dick sandwich, there is no reason to worry"...

Fear mongers cite research covering whale diet eating citizens of the faroe islands to justify warnings about hypothetical health risks from mercury in fish the CCF reports. But a competing study in Seychelles, an Indian ocean island group has found no harm from elevated mercury levels in children who's mothers ate 10 times the amount of fish as typical Americans-but NOT whale meat. CCF officials cite the latest findings from the ongoing Seychelles study, which were presented at a feb 18 meeting of the American association of the advancement of science. "after tracking some 770 children for nearly 16 years, scientists found that higher mercury exposure produced no negative affects at all, and appeared to benefit some children's development. the ccf says.

"fish is health food" CCF director of research says, "whale meat isn't". In fact whale meat contains so many pollutants that its impossible to isolate teh affects of mercury. When scientists study heavy fish-eaters, they find NO mercury related health problems. But also he says, in a study done at Harvard in NOV reported in the American journal of clinical nutrition, the researches found that chief health risk is not eating enough fish and overreacting to government advisories. What's more, in the faroe islands the governments danger levels had a 1000 percent safety factor built in. which means you'd have to exceed them 10 x over before your health was at risk. Computing from those levels, the chief director lists the following danger levels for men and woman...

salmon 9.5lbs per week
swordfish 1.3lbs per week
canned tuna 9.7lbs per week
talapia 114.8lbs per week....

I asked University of Ct nutrition professor dr carol about the claims. she is very familiar with the two studies and another ongoing study.."the most important point is that people dont exhibit any signs of mercury poisoning or contamination".."they don't show any signs that causes me to wonder if we need be that concerned when you have populations living in that kind of environment."..and they don't show signs of damage to the central nervous system"...In fact she says "If I could convince all women to eat fish 2-3 x per week I would be doing a bang up job." "people freak out when they hearthe words cancer and brain damage but Nobody tells them that you have to eat an enormous amount of fish to be in danger."

Just use common sense..dont eat shark, too much tuna or swordfish...it took me forever to copy and type this out...
Jason

unclejeff
03-22-2006, 01:33 PM
canned tuna 9.7lbs per week

i am screwed.
:)

t_dats
03-22-2006, 01:50 PM
i am screwed.

so u eat ~20.04 cans of tuna a week

unclejeff
03-22-2006, 03:29 PM
so u eat ~20.04 cans of tuna a week

exactly, sometimes 21.3 cans a week

grapemaster
03-22-2006, 03:43 PM
hmm that can't be accurate, there is quite a bit of difference in just albacore and chunk light tuna... also ... swordfish danger level at 1.3 lbs?! i've ate over that in one sitting ordering a swordfish steak at seafood restaurants... I don't get it. so basically the bigger the fish, the greater chance of mercury then eh?

lifterohio
03-22-2006, 07:04 PM
The higher up the food chain, the higher the level of toxins, swordfish is a predator fish, that eats other fish, some of which have eaten other fish. Each step produces a higher concentration. Which is why D.D.T only really effected the big birds, it wasn't present in strong enough concentrations to do any real damage lower on down the food chain.

Strange stuff, too bad there is no direct study, there is one on fish exposure(Seychelles) in which the fish themselves were of unknown mercury content, and one on the consumption of wale fat(Faeroe Islands) which also contains other contaminates beyond mercury.

Good article though, thanks!

boyscouT
03-22-2006, 07:10 PM
exactly, sometimes 21.3 cans a week

That's actually not too far off. Someone on a clean bulk who stocks up on tuna cans could potentially eat 3 cans a day.

wanaBsedated
03-22-2006, 07:43 PM
hmm that can't be accurate, there is quite a bit of difference in just albacore and chunk light tuna... also ... swordfish danger level at 1.3 lbs?! i've ate over that in one sitting ordering a swordfish steak at seafood restaurants... I don't get it. so basically the bigger the fish, the greater chance of mercury then eh?

The more fish the fish eats the more toxins :-)..however no worries for us. if youre worried about mercury..drink tea the flavenoids remove heavy metals from the body.