PDA

View Full Version : What kind of pasta am i looking for? Wheat Flour okay?

ironstrife
03-22-2006, 12:18 PM
I've been looking to explore the world the pasta. But, i'm not sure which kind im looking for. Just got some pasta and main ingredient is wheat flour. Is this same as just eating white bread?.. or is this okay?

t_dats
03-22-2006, 12:26 PM
i eat Barilla Plus, just make sure the ingreadients say whole wheat i guess, sorry other than Barilla Plus im not a big pasta person

ironstrife
03-22-2006, 12:32 PM
so my take is that it has to be "whole wheat" just regular "wheat" pasta...

GSP
03-22-2006, 12:35 PM
so my take is that it has to be "whole wheat" just regular "wheat" pasta...

The whole wheat will have more fiber. I personally like the taste of it better for most pasta dishes, but pasta made out of white flour or semolina isn't going to kill you or anything.

ironstrife
03-22-2006, 12:41 PM
The whole wheat will have more fiber. I personally like the taste of it better for most pasta dishes, but pasta made out of white flour or semolina isn't going to kill you or anything.

yea.. i'm just trying to keep my carbs clean...

GSP
03-22-2006, 12:46 PM
yea.. i'm just trying to keep my carbs clean...

Then wash the pasta before you cook it!

Seriously though, Flour is by definition pretty heavily processed, even whole wheat flour. Really though, the biggest problem with pasta is that it's so easy to over eat it, ever see a single portion measured out? It's a pretty sad bowl of spaghetti!

t_dats
03-22-2006, 01:14 PM
Then wash the pasta before you cook it!

Seriously though, Flour is by definition pretty heavily processed, even whole wheat flour. Really though, the biggest problem with pasta is that it's so easy to over eat it, ever see a single portion measured out? It's a pretty sad bowl of spaghetti!

good one :rolleyes:

good poin about servings though

ripped_holla
03-22-2006, 01:20 PM
It really is hard not to overeat pasta. I put the dry, uncooked pasta in a one-cup measure before I dump it in the water. I see people eating huge plates of pasta all the time that have to be 2-3+ cups - over 100g of carbs alone PLUS tons of sauce too...

My whole wheat pasta (just the store brand) says "wheat flour" for the ingredients and that's it. I have some of the Barilla Plus too (10g protein per serving!) that I've yet to try.

grapemaster
03-22-2006, 02:58 PM
yeah I always measure mine out evenly after I cook it and store it in containers...you also can't go wrong with whey pasta, its typical in some of the "low carb" pastas.

superhombre2k
03-22-2006, 03:28 PM
I love Barilla Plus. I can't wait to start eating again once I'm done with X-Factor!

Jim_Gym
03-22-2006, 04:08 PM
100% whole wheat pasta and the Barila Plus pasta are both good, you just have to watch portion size. Lately, since I am cutting I substitute spaghetti squash for pasta. I cook it and add tomato sauce and low fat parmegan on top and eat it with a coupla meatballs, and it tastes just like spaghetti and meatballs. Very low calories too!

mommy*2*3
03-22-2006, 04:12 PM
If you want to explore your pasta options further try Ezekiel Pasta. It's a complete protein and completely unprocessed. Great stuff..

http://www.shopnatural.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=20639

bodybuilder45
03-22-2006, 04:31 PM
barilla plus is money and IMO, the healthiest pasta available. ezeikal is a very close second though.

dwatts
03-22-2006, 05:18 PM
Has anybody tried the green tea pasta ? I got some at our local Trader Joes and it was pretty decent. It's whole wheat and green tea flavored...It didn't really taste any different than whole wheat pasta but just looks funky.