PDA

View Full Version : How do Strongmen eat?

MarkA15
03-19-2006, 01:33 PM
There was a thread in another topic about powerlifters. I said that I eat 1g of protein per bodyweight which is 225lbs. Then somebody says that I'm eating like a Powerlifter and not a Strongman. So my question is the same as the thread title. How do Strongmen eat?

Thanks. Reps.

www.HardBass.us
03-19-2006, 02:10 PM
Thanks. Reps

WowStrongTestys
03-19-2006, 02:43 PM
There was a thread in another topic about powerlifters. I said that I eat 1g of protein per bodyweight which is 225lbs. Then somebody says that I'm eating like a Powerlifter and not a Strongman. So my question is the same as the thread title. How do Strongmen eat?

Thanks. Reps.

As far as I know, Strongmen eat 1.5 - 2 g of carbs and 1 g of protein per body weight. Their fat intake is 20%. I read Mariusz Pudgionaski's diet along time ago so that's as much as I can remember. The difference between a Strongman and a Powerlifter is that a Strongman needs more carbs. The strongman is not just tested for strength but there is also an endurance elemnt to it. i.e. Flip the tire the longest distance in two minutes. I know that's not much of an answer but I hope that helps.

Locarius
03-19-2006, 02:56 PM
They eat everything they see. Seriously, if you want to be a strongman EAT EAT EAT and LIFT LIFT LIFT.

MarkA15
03-19-2006, 04:27 PM
They eat everything they see. Seriously, if you want to be a strongman EAT EAT EAT and LIFT LIFT LIFT.

Well see I'm really lifting because I play high school football and not because I want to compete in a Strongest Man competition. So my workouts will be way different, focusing on the body parts I use on the field. But I still put myself into the Strongest Man catergory and not Powerlifter. I don't spend more than an hour working out and I believe Strongmen train for hours, so I'm not exactly like them.

So still, as a hs football player should I still do what you just suggested Locarius?

I'm gonna do research on how Carbs help a Strongman, like how much to take and all that, unless anyone would like to answer it for me. I think I know a lot about Protein already.

MarkA15
03-19-2006, 07:20 PM
more help would be appreciated :)

payton34
03-19-2006, 07:24 PM
how fast are you?

MarkA15
03-19-2006, 07:25 PM
Be more specific..

hypnotikk
03-19-2006, 09:09 PM
how fast are you?

you mean like, PIIyB fast?

MarkA15
03-19-2006, 09:13 PM
I don't know what you guys are talking about. Back to my question, what should I look for in food if I'm training for strength increase?

Cortic
03-19-2006, 09:33 PM
I don't know what you guys are talking about. Back to my question, what should I look for in food if I'm training for strength increase?

Food does not increase strength. Training does.

Food increases the size of you. With strength training its more to do with your program and providing your body with enough carbs for optimum energy and enough protein for good recovery. Shoot for around 1.6 protein per lb and about the same for carbs. Keep fats to a minimum.

Train hard and heavy and your strength will rocket!

p.s. dont forget water!

mrdiaz
03-19-2006, 09:40 PM
Mariusz Pudgionaski's is the man, he has single handly changed my view on where I want to go and how I want to workout. I dont want to be that huge, but I just saw him for the first time on tv and was amazed.

WowStrongTestys or anyone know exactly what his diet entails, perhaps read it somewhere? He sees to be the most ripped strongman, which just makes him even more awesome.

His training clip is insane.

MarkA15
03-19-2006, 09:47 PM

Food increases the size of you. With strength training its more to do with your program and providing your body with enough carbs for optimum energy and enough protein for good recovery. Shoot for around 1.6 protein per lb and about the same for carbs. Keep fats to a minimum.

p.s. dont forget water!

So is Carbs like Calories? What am I dealing with here?

So I should start looking at Protein and Carbs now. How about Sodium? The meats I eat have a lot of Sodium.

Cortic
03-19-2006, 10:15 PM
Providing your not eating a lot of bacon and adding salt to youre meals the amount if sodium your consuming should be fine.

Carbs is like fuel for your car. You need it to go places. Same as ur body. And oil is like protein. It keeps wear and tear down and maximises recovery.

Fuel your body with carbs and have enough protein to keep you going. Eat a surplus of calories of what ur mainteneance is however dont go over my too much (200 cals should be fine.)

getgot211
03-19-2006, 10:41 PM

p.s. dont forget water!

why would you keep fats to a minimum?

Cortic
03-19-2006, 11:35 PM
why would you keep fats to a minimum?

Well not a minimum, just not 100-200gms of fat a day. Its just easier than explaining the 40/40/20 concept.

boyscouT
03-19-2006, 11:38 PM
There was an MTV True Life special about the youngest strongman in the USA or something. Try to see if you can download the episode somewhere. It had his training & eating habits... the guy was poundin 7000 calories a day to maintain.

saw14
03-20-2006, 05:00 AM
There was an MTV True Life special about the youngest strongman in the USA or something. Try to see if you can download the episode somewhere. It had his training & eating habits... the guy was poundin 7000 calories a day to maintain.
yeah but he was also training 7 plus hours a day doing some extreme stuff. the poster said he isnt training for strongman competitions but just for football so i doubt his cals will need to be that high unless he wants to huge, but in the end put on much more fat than muscle.

MCconditioner
03-20-2006, 05:47 AM
so i doubt his cals will need to be that high unless he wants to huge, but in the end put on much more fat than muscle.

Sixteen years old, 225lbs at 5'6" holy ****--must be pretty hefty already. I'd recommend slimming down some for health and athletics.

MarkA15
03-20-2006, 06:18 AM
Sixteen years old, 225lbs at 5'6" holy ****--must be pretty hefty already. I'd recommend slimming down some for health and athletics.
Yeah man. But football tryouts are this April!

So eating 1g of carbs and protein per bodyweight will increase my bodyfat?

I've thought of slimming down before so I don't have to eat as much and make it easier but I feel that it's too late and scared that if I stop eating to keep my strength up and do more cardio (which is no problem with me) then I will lose overall strength.

I'll be much lighter than before and I'll get smashed because I'm weak, and I don't want that!

I've been to the Nutritionist before weighing in at 240lbs and at that time I was close to getting diabetes. Well I'm 225 now and I believe I'm far away from getting it! :)

MarkA15
03-20-2006, 06:21 AM
I'm lost what should I do!? Tryouts this April!

Lose weight and lose strength?

Gain weight and gain strength?

Can't I keep the same weight and gain strength?

Oh man!

saw14
03-20-2006, 07:05 AM
why are you associating fat loss with a decrease in strength? just because the scale goes down doesnt mean your bench will as well.

MCconditioner
03-20-2006, 03:19 PM
why are you associating fat loss with a decrease in strength? just because the scale goes down doesnt mean your bench will as well.

good point.

the whole idea of a BB cutting diet is to preserve strength and size while shedding bodyfat.

MarkA15
03-20-2006, 03:42 PM
Well I thought because of the less food I'll start eating, meaning not enough protein.

What's this diet you speak of?

MarkA15
03-21-2006, 06:22 AM
Cmon we are almost there.

So I can eat less, meaning less protein, doing more cardio, keep the same workout, and I can still increase my strength and lose fat?

Should it be like this everyday? Or only in my Off days/workout days?

boyscouT
03-21-2006, 06:25 AM
Cmon we are almost there.

So I can eat less, meaning less protein, doing more cardio, keep the same workout, and I can still increase my strength and lose fat?

Should it be like this everyday? Or only in my Off days/workout days?

This thread will help you with bulking/cutting basics:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=8571622&postcount=2

OBeast
03-21-2006, 06:38 AM
what kind of training do you do?

MarkA15
03-21-2006, 03:34 PM
This thread will help you with bulking/cutting basics:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=8571622&postcount=2
It would be better if you just answered my question and end this. But thanks for the link.

MarkA15
03-21-2006, 03:36 PM
what kind of training do you do?
I train for strength. I want to be able to increase strength obviously by working out but also without having to eat all the food that helps me get enough protein. I want to cut and I don't want to eat all that to help myself get my strength up. That's my question, is it true?

NorBerg
03-21-2006, 03:47 PM

Thanks. Reps.
ehem......

With theire mouths....:D:D:D

bwahahahahahahahahahahahahah hohohohohohohoh hihihhihihihihi

Big_Spaz
03-21-2006, 04:10 PM
WOW, 5'6" and 225. That's what I am, and I've been training hard for 8+ years. I would like to see a picture of you if you have one.

-Spaz

MarkA15
03-21-2006, 07:56 PM
Let me see a picture of you and I'll tell you if my body looks like yours. :)

MarkA15
03-22-2006, 05:54 AM
Anyway, I find it hard to cut and keeping high protein. They say to consume 400-500 calories a day. Well my protein shake contains 100 Calories already. I take four servings in one day equaling over 100g of protein already, plus the milk which also contains Calories. That's over 400 calories just from shakes and I still didn't meet my Protein intake.

It's impossible to consume that many calories and meeting your protein intake.

.. WTF?