PDA

View Full Version : Injury Frustration

triscuit32
03-19-2006, 09:21 AM
This week I finshed up an eight week bulk, and it was hands-down the most effort and commitment I've dedicated to bodybuildng in my entire life. Not only was I setting PRs in the gym this week, but I felt so ****ing proud of myself. The plan was to cut to take off all the extra weight. But....

Life decided to **** on me I suppose, and I dislocated my elbow snowboarding. That means a cast for two weeks before I can even START physical therapy, so realistically, I wont be lifting any significant weight for at least a month, if that. I am so damn angry and frustrated thinking that all I put into the last eight weeks will be for nothing.

The reason I am posting this in nutrition is because I need advice on what to do to in terms of my calories... I won't be able to lift so I am worried that if I cut my calories my muscles will atrophy with no stimulation for a month...

On the other hand, 14% BF is not really were I want to be, especially with beach weather coming around the corner...

Sorry for the rant, but any suggestions would be great!!

Alex88
03-19-2006, 09:26 AM
Eat at maintenance or a bit over with moderate carbs and protein. You'd only recover slower if you try and cut during this period.

Xantrael
03-19-2006, 09:31 AM
Man I hate to have to say this, but no matter what you eat you're going to atrophy a little. The good news is that it really should not be too bad...

Calorically, you should adjust for the decreased activity (maybe 300-400 lower than your maintenance on days that you would lift). After the cast comes off, ask the doc if you can start doing light weights and/or stabilization exercises using either really light weights and/or resistance bands to try and stave off some of the atrophy. I don't know what they will say, because I am certainly no expert, but ask the professionals what they think. Again, though, eating more will not stop atrophy from occuring, but don't cut your cals too severely either, 300-400 really should do the trick I believe. And by the way, once you start lifting heavy again, most of those gains will get back right quick, its got memory.

All in all, don't let it get you down, but do what you can

**just saw Alex88's post... I guess in part it comes down to metabolism too, my post is from an endomorph's perspective