PDA

View Full Version : Cooking/baking splenda?

sokrispy
02-15-2008, 02:18 PM
I want to make some splenda cheesecake for my mom who is trying to lose weight, and the recipe (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=294171&highlight=cheesecake) calls for 'cooking splenda'...I'm wondering if I can use the typical packeted kind, which I have a ton of, or if there is a special kind used for baking I need to get.

On their website they have a few different products for baking, but they are blended with sugar and that's clearly not what the recipe calls for. so can I just tear open a bunch of packets into a measuring cup, or is there a different kind for baking I need to go buy?

will-work4ANDRO
02-15-2008, 02:36 PM
yes i believe you can. that's the way they would have you believe on there website anyway.

Jules Verne
02-15-2008, 03:32 PM
You can cook with any splenda, unlike aspartame it won't break down (I guess it will at some temp, not sure what this is though).

The packets have sugar in them (sucrose) as well as dextrose. The granulated only has dextrose as a filler.

Only the granulated is 1 to 1 as far as volume/sweetness is concerned with respect to sugar. But if you just want to add a certain number of packets, no problem.

But 1 cup of the packets is not equal in sweetness to a cup of sugar. That's 1 cup of granulated = 1 cup of sugar (sucrose).

Tussmann57
02-15-2008, 03:48 PM
it tastes gross, not gonna lie.