PDA

View Full Version : drunk on water

Pridehurtsform
02-13-2008, 11:35 PM
i know this sounds really stupid. but im feeling really light headed and i think it's because i've been downing hella water. my diet has been ****ed until recently and i dont drink much water. however i started bulking today and told myself i'd drink 2 gallons daily. well i've been slacking most of the day so i've been drinking a massive amount of water to meet this goal. and now i feel slightly drunk. it's not about how much you drink. but how quickly you drink it. anyone else ever feel like this?

jay415
02-14-2008, 12:38 AM
i know this sounds really stupid. but im feeling really light headed and i think it's because i've been downing hella water. my diet has been ****ed until recently and i dont drink much water. however i started bulking today and told myself i'd drink 2 gallons daily. well i've been slacking most of the day so i've been drinking a massive amount of water to meet this goal. and now i feel slightly drunk. it's not about how much you drink. but how quickly you drink it. anyone else ever feel like this?

No, but what you are refering to is water intoxication, and it comes from an imbalance of electrolytes and is potentially fatal. I don't remember what show is was, but there was a radio show that had a stunt to win I think it was a Wii game system. Two females had to drink a large amount of water and whoever urinated first lost. Well one of those women died of water intoxication.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

edit: here's the radio show article
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/01/13/woman-dies-of-water-intoxication-after-radio-contest/
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6164191.html

MassAppeal
02-14-2008, 01:30 AM

dude, i get this a lot too and i only drink like 1-1.5 gallons of water a day.

Doobalips
02-14-2008, 01:33 AM
If you have gone from drinking little water to none, then I suggest you slowly up your water intake, not all of a sudden drinking 2gallons of it a day.

Can be pretty fatal drinking to much water if your body isn't used to it.

Baseball_Guy
02-14-2008, 02:40 AM
No, but what you are refering to is water intoxication, and it comes from an imbalance of electrolytes and is potentially fatal.

The news reported a college kid died from water intoxication. His frat thought chugging water was better than chugging beer to avoid charges of hazing.

B_and_Ts_Dad
02-14-2008, 03:04 AM
Wikipedia: The electrolyte disturbance hyponatremia (British hyponatraemia) exists in humans when the sodium (Natrium in Latin) concentration in the plasma falls below 135 mmol/L. At lower levels water intoxication may result, an urgently dangerous condition.

I was hospitalized for this 2 years ago after biking 35 miles and running 8 to prepare for a duathalon. I knew i was dehydrated but drank water rather than gatorade and it started out with a bad headache, then really bad bloating as my body couldn't use all of the water i was ingesting so it was just sitting in my stomach.

I ended up in the emergency room really out of it and close to siezuring. I take hydration very seriously now.

Pridehurtsform
02-14-2008, 09:10 AM
Wikipedia: The electrolyte disturbance hyponatremia (British hyponatraemia) exists in humans when the sodium (Natrium in Latin) concentration in the plasma falls below 135 mmol/L. At lower levels water intoxication may result, an urgently dangerous condition.

I was hospitalized for this 2 years ago after biking 35 miles and running 8 to prepare for a duathalon. I knew i was dehydrated but drank water rather than gatorade and it started out with a bad headache, then really bad bloating as my body couldn't use all of the water i was ingesting so it was just sitting in my stomach.

I ended up in the emergency room really out of it and close to siezuring. I take hydration very seriously now.

thats exactly what happened last night. i got this wicked headhache, then got really light headed and loopy. i was kinda scured to go to sleep but it made me kinda dizzy and tired so i did. not feeling bloated today though. but thansk for the advice im gonna drink some gatorade today and count that as some of my water intake, and maybe put some salt on my food.