PDA

View Full Version : Lab study ties artificial sweetener to weight gain

prop42
02-11-2008, 08:56 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23097135/

WASHINGTON - Using an artificial, no-calorie sweetener rather than sugar may make it tougher, not easier, to lose weight, U.S. researchers said Sunday.

Scientists at Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana, studied rats that were fed food with the artificial sweetener saccharin and rats fed food with glucose, a natural sugar.

In comparison to rats given yogurt sweetened with glucose, those that ate yogurt sweetened with saccharin went on to consume more calories and put on more weight and body fat.

Richie_Awesome
02-11-2008, 08:58 AM
The rats don't understand the concept of portion control.

matth87
02-11-2008, 09:01 AM
went on to consume more calories and put on more weight and body fat.

Yes they ate more food so they gained more weight and more body fat. Tell me something i dont know?

prop42
02-11-2008, 09:09 AM
The rats don't understand the concept of portion control.

This may be true, but if they both ate equally the same amount (if possible) it seems the RAT that ate the yogurt with the artificial sweetner gained the weight.

Not trying to debate, just thought that this was an interesting story.

matth87
02-11-2008, 09:10 AM
consuming the "same amount" is not what it says though, it says "went on to eat more calories" thats more food then the other ones.

DarkDefender
02-11-2008, 09:16 AM
so the lesson here is that you should be smarter than a rat.

stay in caloric deficit and you won't gain weight.

Belloc
02-11-2008, 09:23 AM
perhaps the sweetener was not as fulling as the sugar

or it messed with ghrelin/leptin

who knows

Jules Verne
02-11-2008, 09:26 AM
or they are sponsored by the sugar industry and repeated the experiment until they got the desired outcome and we get 1/10th of the real story though the 'unbiased' and excellent hype-the-****-out-of-everything media.

or something else......

-Aaron-
02-11-2008, 09:33 AM
consuming the "same amount" is not what it says though, it says "went on to eat more calories" thats more food then the other ones.

This is what happens when people post an article without understanding it... Referring to the OP.

Haywood Jablome
02-11-2008, 10:17 AM
doesnt it make you wonder though, why they went on to eat more food than the sugar group?

eddiebo
02-11-2008, 10:32 AM
doesnt it make you wonder though, why they went on to eat more food than the sugar group?

Not at all actually, I don't hold the judgement of lab rats or mice in any regard. I recall a study on rats or mice where they we given the option of either a dose of cocaine or a food pellet. Every last one proceded to eat the cocaine until they died of starvation. I think the simple fact is the little buggers were satiated or satisfied to enough excess when they had the sugar. The others were not and continued to eat.

Sleepstream
02-11-2008, 10:33 AM

I've seen information where sucrose tends to satiate more than artificial sweeteners, but I'm unable to find the article stating that.

Haywood Jablome
02-11-2008, 10:37 AM
Not at all actually, I don't hold the judgement of lab rats or mice in any regard. I recall a study on rats or mice where they we given the option of either a dose of cocaine or a food pellet. Every last one proceded to eat the cocaine until they died of starvation. I think the simple fact is the little buggers were satiated or satisfied to enough excess when they had the sugar. The others were not and continued to eat.

it makes me wonder still........

not really sure why you brought up the cocaine/food experiment?

Sibrek
02-11-2008, 10:47 AM
Well just a possible reason, sugar is actually very satiating, initially.

BlueFenix13S
02-11-2008, 10:49 AM
so the lesson here is that you should be smarter than a rat.

Lol and repped for truth

MassAppeal
02-11-2008, 10:54 AM
i was watching this earlier. its 0 calories how can u gain fat unless u eat something else with it

eddiebo
02-11-2008, 10:55 AM
it makes me wonder still........

not really sure why you brought up the cocaine/food experiment?

Just not sure it is practical to say it may be harder to put down the fork while dieting because you opt to not ingest a refined sugar. Especially from a test on rats that have the kind of behavior as the cocaine study proves. How conclusive could such results be. I do not believe the study proves results for someone who is truly watching their calories. I think the study proves the possibly for someone who already is glutenous, they may be less for a short period because they feel filled from a momentary sugar load, thus suppressing the hunger response.

Haywood Jablome
02-11-2008, 10:58 AM
I do not believe the study proves results for someone who is truly watching their calories. .

agreed
with that said though, if I'm in a calorie deficit I would rather be satiated most of the day, rather than not satiated on the same amount of calories.

eddiebo
02-11-2008, 11:02 AM
agreed
with that said though, if I'm in a calorie deficit I would rather be satiated most of the day, rather than not satiated on the same amount of calories.

I am thinking the sugar in the blood would be short lived. It may be the food was taken out of the cages by the time the blood sugar lowered.
Reason I say is that supposedly rats will eat continuously. I bet both groups would have eaten everything in sight had they left the food in the cage indefinitely.

The Solution
02-11-2008, 11:49 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23097135/

so you trying to tell me 1 packet of splenda will lead to serious fat gain? hah

people have no control sometimes over what they take in or care to think about what their putting in their bodies

that is what leads to fat gain.. lazy and obese americans

Richie_Awesome
02-11-2008, 09:10 PM
Yes, you are going to not be as full. But if you understand portion control, you're fine.

thepointman
02-11-2008, 09:39 PM
This story is pretty much the best example of why studies today are a load of crap. The conclusion they draw from this is so just so stupid.

a) They use saccharin (and say it "may" be similar for other sweeteners)
b) It's tested on rats
c) The equivalent human dosage isn't given

And all this and it turns out it doesn't cause weight gain - they eat more food, which causes weight gain! And of course the title in the media is "ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS MAKING YOU FAT?!!?!? MORE AT 11!"

Gah. I hate people.

matth87
02-11-2008, 09:46 PM
now if they came out with a study artifical sweetner kills you i would be dead ummmm a long time ago cause i eat alot of splenda lol, like 4 packets in my coffee in the morn, 4 in my oats, hmmm what else, if i eat CC thats another 4, ahhhhhhhhh

baby matty
02-11-2008, 09:56 PM
or they are sponsored by the sugar industry and repeated the experiment until they got the desired outcome and we get 1/10th of the real story though the 'unbiased' and excellent hype-the-****-out-of-everything media.

or something else......

word to that- you know how often someone sees me drinkin' somethin' diet and says "you know, artificial sweetener actually makes you GAIN wait, not lose it".

Dietitian
02-11-2008, 11:19 PM
word to that- you know how often someone sees me drinkin' somethin' diet and says "you know, artificial sweetener actually makes you GAIN wait, not lose it".

Same thing happens to me all the time... but I always figured it was because i have too many hippie friends.

Dietitian
02-11-2008, 11:20 PM
Quote from author of this study, Fowler:

"People think they can just fool the body. But maybe the body isn't fooled,"
she says.

"If you are not giving your body those calories you promised it,
maybe your body will retaliate by wanting more calories."

http://sci.tech-archive.net/Archive/.../msg01172.html

LMAO. Retaliates by wanting more calories? Gimme a break.

metaldrummer
02-11-2008, 11:50 PM

or something else......

I couldn't agree more

Dr. Horse
02-11-2008, 11:55 PM
I recall a study on rats or mice where they we given the option of either a dose of cocaine or a food pellet. Every last one proceded to eat the cocaine until they died of starvation.

Citation? I think this one might be urban legend.

Richie_Awesome
02-12-2008, 09:35 AM

Really?

Haywood Jablome
02-12-2008, 09:52 AM
And all this and it turns out it doesn't cause weight gain - they eat more food, which causes weight gain! And of course the title in the media is "ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS MAKING YOU FAT?!!?!? MORE AT 11!"

Gah. I hate people.

there's no way I'm going to resume dumping loads of sugar in my coffee and on my oatmeal in exchange for splenda because of this study. Thats for sure

Jules Verne
02-12-2008, 10:08 AM
Some people do say artificial sweeteners makes them crave more sweet food. I've never found this to be a problem. It probably also depends a lot on what the rest of one's diet is like. If you are eating enough of the right foods to be satisfied then clearly there is not going to be a problem.

I've tried cutting out diet sodas for a while and it didn't make any difference to me, so I'll just go ahead and enjoy them.

Rats may be close enough biologically to humans for some experiments, but eating habits and cravings? That seems a bit far fetched. I hope my brain doesn't function in the same way as a rat. Although I was born in the Year Of The Rat!

nakedsnake
02-12-2008, 10:19 AM
Some people do say artificial sweeteners makes them crave more sweet food.

for someone who used to dump 2+ spoons of sugar in his cup of coffee every morning and eat 2+ king size candy bars a day after work, artificial sweeteners make it possible to avoid cravings for sugar ..personal experience tho i guess, if you have no self control you're going to fail no matter what...

Sleepstream
02-12-2008, 10:19 AM
Does anyone have the full article for this?

Also, when you think about it, shouldn't many of us be craving food more than the average person considering most of this forum consumes a great deal of artificial sweeteners through our supplements?

There was also a study released a few years ago showing that a fructose-sweetened water increased body adiposity in mice more than sucrose and artificially sweetened beverage.

Jules Verne
02-12-2008, 10:23 AM
for someone who used to dump 2+ spoons of sugar in his cup of coffee every morning and eat 2+ king size candy bars a day after work, artificial sweeteners make it possible to avoid cravings for sugar ..personal experience tho i guess, if you have no self control you're going to fail no matter what...

Totally.

Well I was never quite like that, but I do have a sweet tooth and to me having something like Splenda probably does a lot more good than harm too.

I can fill up on quality foods and get my 'sweet fix'.