PDA

View Full Version : Weight Watchers

Bonfire
03-02-2006, 02:11 PM
My GF stared to do Weight Watchers last week and I am trying it with her.
I also go to the Gym 4 days a week and play basketball for 1:30 hours 1 day a week. I lift weights 4 days a week and do cardio on 3 of the 4 days. Last week I lost 4 pounds by folling the weight Watchers points. has anyone else has luck with Weight Watchers? and has anyone been on Weight Watchers and serious lifing weights as well? and what kind of results did you see?

gecko2424
03-02-2006, 02:54 PM
It works great if you stick to it. It does not take carb/fat/protein ratios into account though. For fat loss, good, muscle gain, eh.

It's basically a calorie deficit program.
How to do it w/o points:
eat 5+ day fruit/veggie
3 servings low fat dairy
keep other calories below your BMR.

Basically it's just a journal and support group. Works though.

Results, lost 30lbs in 5 months before my wedding.

Tomek
03-02-2006, 03:50 PM
it works if followed definately.. but like said about gaining muscle not a chance in hell... calories are too light and taken up by other ****...

Everyones got diferent goals though.

nithos
03-02-2006, 04:33 PM
When WW members know that a Wendy's Kids Meal is 13 points, you know there is a fundamental flaw in a nutritional system.

It allows for way to many processed foods and doesn't always teach proper macronutrient breakdowns.

That being said, most of the memebers are overweight middleaged women who don't lift weights.

Stand Ablaze
03-02-2006, 05:00 PM
It only allowes processed foods if you choose to eat them, just like a bodybuilding diet. They prefere you to buy their food, because it caters to the general public who want puddings without the calories, but for people who have no interest in alternatives to their favorite foods (in packets), fresh food is welcomed and used for even better results.

PissingQuietly
03-02-2006, 05:01 PM
When WW members know that a Wendy's Kids Meal is 13 points, you know there is a fundamental flaw in a nutritional system.

It allows for way to many processed foods and doesn't always teach proper macronutrient breakdowns.

That being said, most of the memebers are overweight middleaged women who don't lift weights.

Amen to this,

It teaches to eat less, but leaves you starved pretty much the entire time.

snissors
03-03-2006, 07:55 AM
I'm counting WW points right now, and I think it can be done in a way that would line up with bodybuilding principles during a cutting phase.

The reason I'm counting WW points is because my wife is using the WW program to lose weight, and there is something to be said about strength in unity . I'm finding that it works for me, because my weakness is overeating when I get home from work. With us both counting WW points, I've found it to be much easier to resist temptations to overeat when I'm home at night.

Mind you, even though I'm counting WW points throughout the day, my food choices for the first 5 of my 6 meals are not processed and high in bad fats. For those 5 meals, I eat things like broccoli, natural peanut butter, cottage cheese, yams, peanuts, etc.

Bottom line - if you're not in a bulk phase, WW can be a good tool to be used, if it works for you, and if you work it in the right way.

gecko2424
03-03-2006, 08:28 AM
In the program they stress the benefits of fresh veggies, but the program is tailored to people who live the regular office/home lifestyle and are failing at their health. When I did it, I'd go to Sonic and get a 2 grilled chicken sandwiches w/ mustard and extra veggies, and throw one bun away. Compared to a normal burger/fry/drink, it was a huge improvement. It's a checks and balances system. Even subway is high in points depending on what you get. The only way to stay within points is to eat veggies, and lots, or starve yourself. It tricks members into eating well, without conciously saying "no more fried/lard/etc"

On my weight loss diet, based on BMR+some lifting, I'm eating an average of 30-38 points a day but still within my calories. If on WW, i'd be limited to 27 a day.

Joenonymous
03-03-2006, 12:08 PM
I don't think it's a long term solution, but it can be very helpful to people who are just starting out. Really, the foundation to healthy eating is learning to keep account of what you put in your body, and simultaneously, to know what is the best stuff to put in your body. I think the WW system can help establish habits that create this foundation. But once you have the habits/foundation, it's easier and more effective just to do so on your own.

Chipman
03-03-2006, 12:32 PM
My guess is you will lose all the weight you want but your bodyfat will be almost the same as when you started..Why don't you just get a rough BF estimate just to prove me right...It will only be a few points lower when you stop.
I have seen it before you end up a skinny fat man.