PDA

View Full Version : Squat rack ideas for steel fabricator...

SV1000
03-01-2006, 04:56 PM
...I worked for an equipment manufacturer back in the 80's. Since I MIG various projects around the house now I'm thinking I may build some of my own equipment. There are some used steel shops in town and I can pick up most tubing by the pound and pretty cheap.

Give me some ideas and post pics of squat racks you like...or squat/power rack/bench combos that will be most useful.

ectohell
03-02-2006, 05:38 AM
I actually work for a company that does steel mfg'ing. I too was once a production welder stick/mig/tig. Thanks for the idea. I can build my own rack. I wonder why the hell I never thought of that before.

GimpyPaw
03-02-2006, 07:23 AM
I'm currently building one. My brother is the certified welder, so I have to wait for him to free up with some time to weld it up. Basic idea, .095 x 2" tube steel for the base and angled kicker. 1" pipe for the upper brace/pull-up bar, and the tall uprights are made of .095 x 2" sign post steel. The sign post steel is that stuff that's got 3/8th holes drilled on 1" center, all sides. The sleves are just 2 1/4 material of the same stuff. Should be finished in a few weeks, paint and all. I will post up some pics when it's done.

There is an interesting thread in the workout equipment forum about this type of thing, called "Ghetto Rack" if your interested in that sort of thing.

edit: Can't upload my plans for the rack, because it's an Adobe PageMaker file. I will see if I can save it in some other format.

GimpyPaw
03-02-2006, 07:35 AM
I think you have the wrong idea. For me, at least, I'm just talking about making my own. I want a half-rack, but none of the one's I've found are deep enough for a spotter to comfortably stand behind the bench, and I wanted a pull-up bar. Since what I want isn't sold, I'm making one.

ectohell
03-02-2006, 08:16 AM
I'm currently building one. My brother is the certified welder, so I have to wait for him to free up with some time to weld it up. Basic idea, .095 x 2" tube steel for the base and angled kicker. 1" pipe for the upper brace/pull-up bar, and the tall uprights are made of .095 x 2" sign post steel. The sign post steel is that stuff that's got 3/8th holes drilled on 1" center, all sides. The sleves are just 2 1/4 material of the same stuff. Should be finished in a few weeks, paint and all. I will post up some pics when it's done.

There is an interesting thread in the workout equipment forum about this type of thing, called "Ghetto Rack" if your interested in that sort of thing.

edit: Can't upload my plans for the rack, because it's an Adobe PageMaker file. I will see if I can save it in some other format.

Download a free PDF generator and print it as a pdf.

joed
03-02-2006, 10:05 AM
SV, I recall seeing plans for a rack, etc. on another site but can't think of it right now. Let me know if you want me to look for it. The obvious advantage of building your own is you can customize everything for your height & what you want to do; cool idea.

Minotaur
03-02-2006, 10:45 AM
Man, what I wouldn't do for a rack and bench in my garage! Well, I'd have to clean the garage out first, but if I knew I had a rack and bench waiting for me that garage would be cleaned out faster than sh** goes through a goose. :D

ectohell
03-02-2006, 12:21 PM
If someone wants to gather up some good ideas for a rack and post them here I can ( when my time permits ) turn it into a full building schematic in Autocad ( 2d of course). I would be intersted in seeing some designs.

GimpyPaw
03-02-2006, 02:10 PM
OK, this "should" be a pdf. file of my plans for the weight rack.

SV1000
03-02-2006, 02:40 PM
It looks very similar to the "open rack" from NY Barbell. I like it and the fact that you added the rear brace from the top back down to the base.

CROWLER
03-02-2006, 03:19 PM
I like the one from NY BB problem with that company is even if you find something that they say ships for free they tack on a fuel charge up to $40.

CROWLER

GimpyPaw
03-02-2006, 07:29 PM
It looks very similar to the "open rack" from NY Barbell. I like it and the fact that you added the rear brace from the top back down to the base.

Yes, I looked at that rack when I was shopping, but my rack will be deeper, will have a pull-up bar at the top, and I will weld on some steel pipes to the rear brace for racking the plates. Also, because all my seams will be welded, I don't need the additional metal band across the bottom, so my Parabody Incline/Decline bench will slide in and out easier. I will admit that rack lended a lot to my design.

GimpyPaw
04-15-2006, 11:23 PM
Update:

My rack is operational and in use. I haven't painted it yet as I'm waiting for A) the weather to improve so I can spray it outside, and B) for my wife to forget how many hours I already put into the thing.

A few pics:

30-A rider
04-17-2006, 10:33 AM
I dont mean to jack this threaed but it got me to thinking about when I was doing my undergrad in college and paying for school, car, insurance, gas, eating I had no $$$ and couldnt afford the $40. month for a gym memebership. SO if any of you want to build something for yourself here is what I did as a college student and dont mind sating it worked great.

I bought 4 4x4 fence posts. In a basement I attached these posts with carriage bolts, lock washers and nuts to the above floor joists. I used anged steel brackets at the bottom and achors into the concrete floor to attach at the bottom. Making sure all were parallel and plumb. Using a 1.5" wood drill bit I drilled holes ever 6" from about 2' from the floor up to the top on each post. I then bought gavlinized steel piping in a 1.25" diameter with threaded ends. I used threaded pipe cap end of the pip on one side to hold the bar from rolling off...the other side was left alone as you could pull them out of the drilled holes and adjust them to whatever height you wanted. I used this as a squat cage. Bought an olympic set for $100 which included 310lbs of wegiht and bought an additional 4.. 45 lb plates. for $150 I bought a incline delcine bench from body solid with a leg extension/ leg curl attachement. Everybody that saw this thing could not beleive how well it worked and came out....many firends copied it.

I did my squats off this, bench, babrbell overhead presses, pull ups, bent over b bell rows etc...eveything I did off this thing that I build...ready get this for a whipping $35 bucks...add another $5 for the drill bit...$5 for the concrete anchors and drill bit, $4 for the cariage bolts.......and yeah the olympic weight and bench were additional. Point is for about $300. I worked out off this thing for about 4 years ...that basement, and that home made cage are some of my best work out memories.

SV1000
06-22-2006, 06:39 PM
Nice job GimpyPaw!

I will post a photo of mine shortly.

SV1000
06-22-2006, 06:44 PM
OK, after a few months of doing lots of projects other than the one I need the most, here it is...

http://home.earthlink.net/~cummins_isb/Rack.jpg

After I bolted it together for the photo, I see that I need to shorten the cross braces about 4". A few minutes with the horizontal band saw and a few more with the Lincoln and it will be ready.

I will shorten the braces, paint it and fab some j-hooks and a bench this weekend.

Next project will be a plate holder that will bolt to each side.

Frank_The_Tank
06-22-2006, 08:17 PM
After that you should add a dip station and some pullup bars. That would make it perfect.

FJ and G
06-22-2006, 08:25 PM
Paid hundreds of dollars for my full squat rack from Fitness Resource; could have purchased a welding set for $100 from Harbor Freight (then would have had cool power tool for other stuff too).

Live learn