PDA

View Full Version : Do you count protein from non-main protein sourced towards your protein intake?

Nyyankz123
02-09-2008, 09:06 PM
i dont know whether i should count protein from oatmeal, peas, pasta, bread, fat sources, or any food besides lets say a chicken, or eggs towards my daily intake? do you guys count it? i am talking about protein from things like carbs sources, or fat sources (cocoa powder, granola, etc.) discuss the topic. thank you.

sublime4510
02-09-2008, 09:06 PM
I don't know why you wouldn't. I do and I'm sure everyone else does.

TheRealCartman
02-09-2008, 09:08 PM
Yes, all that stuff adds up so it should be counted

Nyyankz123
02-09-2008, 09:12 PM
because, im not sure if its "real protein" or not. like muscle building protein. i want high quality protein, and im not sure if these kinds of proteins should be counted towards my intake. ? ? ?

Sim882
02-09-2008, 10:16 PM
If u consume say oat protein with other complete protein, the protein is most likely to combine and most of the oat protein will be useable.

So I would count it, but I'd still ensure most of the protein is coming from complete sources just to be careful

RU4A69
02-09-2008, 10:32 PM
No. Incomplete proteins cannot be efficiently utilized (compared to complete sources e.g. animal sources).

As you said, plant and grain proteins are not "real proteins."

cell technical
02-09-2008, 10:43 PM
I count the protein from oats, seeds, and beans, but not from fruits, vegetables, or nuts.

The first three I mentioned have good scores on the Amino Acid profiles on nutritiondata.com, which is my reasoning behind counting htem.

derickonfire
02-09-2008, 10:46 PM
You eat it, you count it.

No. Incomplete proteins cannot be efficiently utilized (compared to complete sources e.g. animal sources).

It's not hard to eat something in addition to your incomplete proteins which will therefor make the incomplete proteins fully usable.

Who eats a carb strict / heavy meal ONLY anyways? We usually always have a protein source.

Nyyankz123
02-10-2008, 09:45 AM

thank you for your input. this is what i was thinking more along the lines of.

I count the protein from oats, seeds, and beans, but not from fruits, vegetables, or nuts.

The first three I mentioned have good scores on the Amino Acid profiles on nutritiondata.com, which is my reasoning behind counting htem.

i even count protein from nuts, and im the one asking this question. I thought that nuts were a great source of protein, but mainly fats(surely) am i wrong? or missing something here guys?

You eat it, you count it.

It's not hard to eat something in addition to your incomplete proteins which will therefor make the incomplete proteins fully usable.

Who eats a carb strict / heavy meal ONLY anyways? We usually always have a protein source.

so what are you trying to get at?

derickonfire
02-10-2008, 09:46 AM
so what are you trying to get at?

I'm saying eat your rice with your meat and you'll get use of your proteinzzz.

amgdoc
02-10-2008, 10:28 AM
To make MY life easier, I actually don't count anything that isn't dairy, fish or meat. If I was on a cut, maybe things would be different.

Rodzilla
02-10-2008, 10:29 AM
I count everything.

Pridehurtsform
02-10-2008, 10:34 AM

wtf....yeah it is a real protein....despite what you think not every protein your going to eat is going to be used to build muslces. protein is the most abundent macromolecule in your body and is used in transportation of other molecules, coenzymes, enzymes, catalysts, repairing of cells and yeah even repairing of muscle tissue. thankfully our body uses the least atp taxing processes. in otherwords animal proteins will more then likely be used to repair muscles while other proteins such as plant proteins may be used for one of the other numerous activities that a protein takes part in. if you only eat animal proteins in fact then your body is required to break them down (using atp) in order to perform a task that would have been idealy performed by another source protein.

so yes protein is protein is protein

Nyyankz123
02-10-2008, 11:54 AM
I'm saying eat your rice with your meat and you'll get use of your proteinzzz.

basically what i assume you all are getting at is that, if im not eating the carb source alone, and its with a real protein source, that i should count it ? ? ?

derickonfire
02-10-2008, 02:21 PM
basically what i assume you all are getting at is that, if im not eating the carb source alone, and its with a real protein source, that i should count it ? ? ?

Yes.

Count it all the time.

RU4A69
02-10-2008, 02:41 PM

It's not that simple...

derickonfire
02-10-2008, 02:46 PM
It's not that simple...

Perhaps it's easier to just say that worrying about something this trivial is pretty pathetic?

I was vegetarian for 3 years, and I also started bodybuilding while still being vegetarian, and I made some great gains.
I'm sure I consumed many incomplete proteins..

Nyyankz123
02-10-2008, 06:58 PM
Perhaps it's easier to just say that worrying about something this trivial is pretty pathetic?

I was vegetarian for 3 years, and I also started bodybuilding while still being vegetarian, and I made some great gains.
I'm sure I consumed many incomplete proteins..

i think i am going to count all proteins, except for ones from lets say a jello pudding packet, or cocoa powder, or a condiment, etc. i will count the ones from carb sources like oats, rice, sweet potato, veggies etc. how does this sound?(or not count veggies)

NCK MIZ
02-10-2008, 07:56 PM

this is only true if they are not combined with a complete protein. If you have whole wheat pasta with chicken or lean beef the pasta can be counted as protein, because it can be fully utilized. I never eat a meal without the majority of my protein coming from complete proteins so I always count it.

Jules Verne
02-11-2008, 06:23 AM
As long as you are consistent and eat enough complete protein it doesn't really matter. I count it, but aim for 1.25-1.5g/lb. I know I get at least 1g/lb from 'complete' protein sources. I certainly don't worry about getting 'too much' extra protein from veg and grains.

Nyyankz123
02-11-2008, 06:18 PM
Thanks verne. i think just from eating and not counting alone, i must get about 1g of protein per lb. of my bodyweight, and the rest, may be from the rice/oats/potatoes/veggies etc. How does this sound. ? ?