PDA

View Full Version : I need some ways to add more calories to my diet...

MagicCarpet
02-08-2008, 01:30 PM
I started bulking earlier this week, and one of the things I've always had trouble with was my meal plan. My calorie maintenance level is around 2900 according to a few sites, but I meal plan is barely under that. I already have a lot of fat and carbs in my diet, so I want to avoid adding any more of that (my bf% is around 13, but most of that fat makes up my gut). I'll go ahead and post my meal plan, and if you guys have any suggestions to adding more calories, please feel free to post them.

Breakfast
---
Egg Whites, 5
Egg Yolk, 1
Cereal, 2 cups
1% milk, 1 cup

Lunch (at school, so I had to add extra things to get more calories)
---
Chicken, 1 serving
Baked fries, 1/2 serving (these are for extra calories)
Roll, 1 medium (also for extra calories)
Apple, 1
1% milk, 1 cup

Preworkout Meal
---
Tuna, 1 can
Bread, 2 slices
Peanut Butter, 1 tablespoon
Whey, 1 scoop

Postworkout Meal
---
Whey, 1 scoop
Chicken patty, 1 serving
Vegetables, 1/2 cup
Brown Rice, 1/2 cup

Late Meal
---
Salmon fillet, 1 serving
Turkey, 3 slices (added this for more calories too)
Bread, 1 slice

OR

Ground turkey enchiladas, (not as unhealthy as they seem)
Fat free refried beans, (for extra carbs and protein)
Turkey, 2 slices
1% milk, 1 cup

Before Bed
---
Cottage cheese, 6 oz
1% milk, 1 cup (only when I have the salmon meal)

Totals (avg):
Fat: 66 g
Carbs: 308 g
Protein: 260 g
~ 2850 calories

I tried to keep fat under 70 g, and carbs under 300 g (but that didn't work). I wasn't aiming for so much protein, but I can live with how much there is lol. But it looks like I still need at least 150 calories. Also if it helps, I'm about 6'2" and 160 lbs. Again, I'd appreciate any help you guys can offer.

Dracoy
02-08-2008, 01:32 PM
Up it to 10 Egg Whites => What I eat every morning.
Up it to 2 pieces of chicken...

Thats 200 calories of protein right there. Drink a class of skim milk. Thats another 200. It is very easy to do.

sportyhp
02-08-2008, 01:35 PM
Up it to 10 Egg Whites => What I eat every morning.
Up it to 2 pieces of chicken...

Thats 200 calories of protein right there. Drink a class of skim milk. Thats another 200. It is very easy to do.

lol he should eat the whole egg not more egg whites

MagicCarpet
02-08-2008, 01:35 PM
10 egg whites? Wow, I just recently went from 3 to 5, and my mom was thinking that was a lot. And the chicken patties I eat are kinda expensive, but I'm not the one who pays for em, so... >_>

Dracoy
02-08-2008, 01:38 PM
He said he doesn't want any fat, I was gonna suggest just take a spoonful of peanut butter.

MagicCarpet
02-08-2008, 01:43 PM
Yeah, I thought of adding some more yolks before, but they have a lot of fat and a load of cholesterol, so I'd rather not add those to my diet.

And I tried putting in two tablespoons of PB, but that added a lot more fat than I wanted, so I just lowered it to one.

k9nacl
02-08-2008, 01:49 PM
Yeah, I thought of adding some more yolks before, but they have a lot of fat and a load of cholesterol, so I'd rather not add those to my diet.

And I tried putting in two tablespoons of PB, but that added a lot more fat than I wanted, so I just lowered it to one.

uhm, why don't you need fat? you just talked about how you need to add more calories to your diet, but you are reducing your fat intake (the highest caloric density healthy foods) and are saying you need more protein/carbs, but in your original post, you said that's too much carbs/protein as it is. what are you trying to do, confuse yourself and us/

eat your egg yolks. add in 1-2 more yolks with breakfast, eat 2tbsp of peanut butter with your pre-workout, and eat more rice with your dinner. also, ditch the milk pre-bed and eat some nuts or a healthy fat source instead. fat does not make you fat, that's one of the worst misconceptions ever.

sherdi
02-08-2008, 01:51 PM
Based on your height, weight, bf%, you could up your fats a tad! Fat is good for you and does help with lean mass. Instead of 5 egg whites in the morning, have 4 with another whole egg (2 in total).

For your lunch, you could take out the baked fries and add some good fat: avocado would work well with the chicken roll. Or you could have peanut butter, nuts, olive oil, etc.

If you preworkout meal is about 1 hour before your workout, ditch the fat and have them later on. Add some fruit or take out the bread/tuna and just have a shake. You could also have some yoghurt with fruit and whey here. Milk would be good here too (maybe take it out of your lunch meal).

PWO: (immediately after training) Try to have some carbs with your whey like fruit, honey, dex, etc

Then have the other meal with fat about 1 hour later:
chicken patty, vegetables, brown rice, **add fat here**
Olive oil would be good here.

Then just make sure your other meals in the evening have fat added to them.

MagicCarpet
02-08-2008, 02:04 PM
Well, I guess what I meant to say was that I was aiming for about 200 g of protein, but ended up with over 250. That's not a problem at all, I just wasn't expecting the total to be that high. I did want to keep carbs under 300 g though, but I went over a little bit. I was just saying that it was a little more than I would have liked.

And also, with my lunch, I really have no other choice for more calories, since I'm at school and there's only fruit and fries to choose from. I guess I can eat the peanut butter after my workout though instead of before.

And really, I didn't want to eat a lot of fats because basically ALL the fat I gain goes right to my stomach, so even a small fat gain's gonna go right there. But I guess I can add some more since you guys said it's alright. I'm gonna try to revise my meal plan and see how much more I can add to it.

BlueFenix13S
02-08-2008, 02:14 PM
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/c/ce/180px-Skippy_jars.jpg

Fat doesn't make you fat

MagicCarpet
02-09-2008, 12:42 PM
Okay, another problem now. I don't know what to replace my school lunch with on weekends. It accounts for about 650 cals, 18g fat, 85g carbs, and 33g protein. I can get the apple and milk easy, but that still leaves me about 450 calories to replace. Any ideas?

Belloc
02-09-2008, 01:24 PM
you need more calories yet you are throwing away 4 egg yolks a day?

why not simply just eat 3 whole eggs, that's around 7 g sat fat

won't kill you

I used to be afraid of eggs just like you

tinyman5000
02-09-2008, 01:34 PM
lol hes a retard he thinks fat is gonna make him fat

BlueFenix13S
02-09-2008, 01:39 PM
you need more calories yet you are throwing away 4 egg yolks a day?

why not simply just eat 3 whole eggs, that's around 7 g sat fat

won't kill you

I used to be afraid of eggs just like you

MMMMM egg yolk = 4.5g of healthy yummy fatty goodness. EAT YOUR EGG YOLKS!!! :D

Distance
02-09-2008, 02:08 PM
add a glass of skim milk to each meal = easy extra 500 cals, and some good protein too

BlueFenix13S
02-09-2008, 02:09 PM
add a glass of skim milk to each meal = easy extra 500 cals, and some good protein too

I'd prefer a tbsp of peanut butter to each meal personally lol

willldabeast
02-09-2008, 03:09 PM
I'd prefer a tbsp of peanut butter to each meal personally lol

haha it is rare fidelitas wont throw in a pb rep. lol i love it. you still eat 1/2 jar a day bro?

BlueFenix13S
02-09-2008, 03:11 PM
haha it is rare fidelitas wont throw in a pb rep. lol i love it. you still eat 1/2 jar a day bro?

I've had 3 servings, still gonna have another one PWO :D