PDA

View Full Version : Reaching my goals

gecko2424
02-24-2006, 06:36 AM
As stated in my diet thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=8932412#post8932412

My goals are 1) lose weight (fat) 2) gain strength 3) gain lean mass, in that order

Also as I stated in that post, I'm doing this without supplements except vitamins. Why, because I gain mass very quickly on creatine and I've already gained a lot in 2 months.

Question: I'm reaching strength plateaus. I've been able to still work myself well with variety of exercises, machines, free weights etc, but I think I'm overtraining and need to let my muscles rest.

My idea is to do my heavy lifting in 3 consecutive days. Back then Legs then Chest with maybe a 4th day, after a break, for arms. On the heavy lifting days, load up with high protien and after-workout high carb foods to help the muscles. On the other 3-4 days, cut like crazy. Lower carb, high fiber, clean eating and lots of cardio/endurance exercise. In all cases I will eat about 1600-1800 cal a day. I'm 5'9" 223lb What do you think?

nithos
02-24-2006, 06:40 AM
The calories are pretty low for someone your size. Start bumping them 100-200 calories a week until you get up in the 2500-3000 range.

Try alternating between Lifting and Cardio. Don't do 3 days of one, followed by 3 days of the other.

You might also look at your pre/post workout nutrition and the routine you are currently using.

gecko2424
02-24-2006, 07:16 AM
cool, thanks.
On: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
I get: 28/5'9"/223/3timesaweek
Maintenance: 2708 Calories/day
Fat Loss: 2166 Calories/day
Extreme Fat Loss: 1776 Calories/day

I have one or three cheat meals/week due to situations I'm placed in where there is no salad to be eaten.

My workout schedule is like that because I'm in grad school thursday night and work 8-5 M-F. I live 30 miles from my gym, but it's right next to work. I lift Mon-Wed Back/Legs/Chest, ride my exercise bike at home when I get back from school thursday and sometimes make it to the gym on Friday. Sat&Sun are in the air. I have freeweights at home, but want to let my muscles rest over the weekend so I can hit it hard MTW.

I'll try switching it up though.