PDA

View Full Version : A different Vegetarian Post

spookyct
02-06-2008, 04:21 PM
Hey guys, I'm a new member here... first off I'd like to say that I'm very new to this.

After a very long break... several months.... I've been going to the gym (4/5 days a week) for about 3 weeks now... and I'm really enjoying it.

A small shortcoming of mine, is that I am currently a vegetarian. This is something that I really do not want to compromise. I do eat eggs/dairy however. After reading through some of the posts on here it seems as though a target daily protein intake is somewhere around your own weight in grams.

I am a 24 year old guy, currently weigh 215lbs(as of this morning) and am at a height of 6'4". Of that 215 lbs, not much is muscle... it would be my goal to change that completely. I would say my overall goal is to become a lot bigger as far as muscle. I'd like my friends and co-workers to talk behind my back about how I must be doing steroids or something to get to the point I got to... from what I was before, because it is that unbelievable. :-)

Realizing that fruits and vegetables alone are not going to help me... I know I need to make some changes. Unfortunately, I still do not want to abandon the vegetarian lifestyle. I've been thinking about this for a while, and I may consider eating Tuna.

Can someone on here please give some advice? Possibly something other than, quit being a vagina and eat meat... ;-) Has anyone heard a similar story that had success? Also, would it be possible for someone to post up a meal plan that would get me to a daily protein intake of 215g? Also, along those lines... what is a good weight for me?

Thanks a lot!

PyroBurns
02-06-2008, 04:23 PM
Have you looked in to balancing your veggies to make more proteins? (Lentils thrown on millet, and stuff like that)

Also you should consider lots and lots of nuts.

DarkFlames
02-06-2008, 05:35 PM
Use fitday.com to calculate your macros. Im a vegetarian to and iv got decent macros atm for bulking just need to add alittle calories and test it.

Some things you can eat are:

Nuts
eggs
milk
tofu
seitan
tempeh
Cottage cheese
oatmeal
Peanut butter
Boca
Beans
lentils
Dhal

And alot of other stuff that isnt coming to my mind

Dont let anyone tell you vegetarians cant become big, because they can. Good example is drjoe (who is a vegan!!). It might take alittle longer though. Vegetarians also dont get complete amino acids that meat contains. But you can eat different types of food to complete amino acids. Watch your marcos!!!! vegetarians tend to eat alot of carbs, which can screw you over. I should know.

King of all vegetarian/vegan threads: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4360853&highlight=vegetarians

Good luck, and train hard.

eddiebo
02-06-2008, 06:20 PM
I personally try to get protein at every turn, tempeh, tofu, beans, soymilk and even cereal with high protein. It can be done though I aspire for a 40:40:20 Carb:Protein:Fat Ration it comes out more like 55:30:15, simply for the fact eveything vegetarian has a good deal of carbs and fats.

I suggest if you want to better control and increase your protein intake supplementing with a protein isolate may be the ticket. Oh, and don't foget the usual suspects Minerals like Iron, calcium, magnesium, Vitamins like B's etc. the things you don't get much of having a meat free diet. Do your homework and though take a little discipline you will find it quite easy to up the protein.

Belloc
02-07-2008, 11:06 AM
you don't need that much protein if you are taking in enough carbs

in fact that much protein with a high amount of carbs will only contribute to make you fat

finehaymakerday
02-07-2008, 07:43 PM
Coming from one veg to another I can tell you that the preconcieved notion that you must eat meat to get your daily protien couldn't be farther from the truth. Milk, cheese, Nuts, beans. all soy products... and eggs (the most complete form of digestible protein) are all readily available and fit within the constrains of you diet!

Never give up on your other goals, or sacrifice your beliefs because others doubt you... instead, prove them wrong!