PDA

View Full Version : Who here cuts and bulks, and who here 'culks?'

syvnick
02-06-2008, 04:15 PM
I recently read the BB round table with Alan A. and Will Brink and Alan brought up the idea of 'Culking.' Instead of bulking and cutting, you do basically from what I understand is a slow bulk where you eat just over your maintenance and do cardio to keep the fat at bay. That's obviously way too simplified, but i'm curious about who here actually goes through bulking and cutting phases, and who here does the slow bulk method?

What're the advantages to the culking method? I think it may be for me.

Josh5442
02-06-2008, 04:23 PM
I guess you could say I'm trying a similiar method. I'm eating to bulk, but I'm doing a lot of cardio to keep fat gains to a minimum. Reason I'm doing this is I was very fat before and it's a lot easier for me to gain fat then your average person.

baarat
02-06-2008, 04:30 PM
That's the way I manage my diet/weight. I feel I'm in better control. It's a slow process though, so it might not suit everyone.

TheoAKAJShoota
02-06-2008, 04:30 PM
Im currently doing that, works alright but is really slow. What I basically do is eat what I eat for a cut, but double everything

Mr.Hombre
02-06-2008, 04:40 PM
I recently read the BB round table with Alan A. and Will Brink and Alan brought up the idea of 'Culking.' Instead of bulking and cutting, you do basically from what I understand is a slow bulk where you eat just over your maintenance and do cardio to keep the fat at bay. That's obviously way too simplified, but i'm curious about who here actually goes through bulking and cutting phases, and who here does the slow bulk method?

What're the advantages to the culking method? I think it may be for me.
Culking is pretty much just matching supply and demand, instead of standard linear intake. For example, if you're 150 pounds and have a maintenance calories at 15 x lbs bodyweight, that would mean a linear intake of 2250 calories per day. With culking, you would eat more than that on workout days and less than that on off days, but still eat an average of 2250 calories per day. Hyperfeeds involve adding extra calories, primarily from carbs, on specific workout days.

On a side-note, cardio is not necessary on a culk. Alan doesn't even do it.

mridgley
02-06-2008, 04:46 PM
I believe that I am hitting the peak of my culk. For a while, I was gaining mass and loosing fat. Now, my gains are very slight and fat loss is beginning to slow. I am now in the process of switching to a maint-cut. Maintain muscle but cut the fat. It's a bitch.

PansyLad
02-06-2008, 04:47 PM
My question is whether or not there is enough advantage in the culking method to warrant its use of the traditional two phase method.

rainieravesouth
02-06-2008, 04:50 PM
Culking is pretty much just matching supply and demand, instead of standard linear intake. For example, if you're 150 pounds and have a maintenance calories at 15 x lbs bodyweight, that would mean a linear intake of 2250 calories per day. With culking, you would eat more than that on workout days and less than that on off days, but still eat an average of 2250 calories per day. Hyperfeeds involve adding extra calories, primarily from carbs, on specific workout days.

On a side-note, cardio is not necessary on a culk. Alan doesn't even do it.

so is culking basically calorie cycling? or am i mistaken? is there more to it than that?

ChristianMcNeely
02-06-2008, 05:43 PM
i prefer slow, gradual bulking then cut for a few weeks if i feel i've gained a little too much fat. my one problem with culking is that your body grows on off-days, and taking in below your daily requirement of calories on these days which you should be growing seems to be counterintuitive in my opinion.

Rhino_JC
02-06-2008, 05:45 PM
I culk but i do it as in workout days i eat over and non i eat under.

grapemaster
02-06-2008, 06:18 PM
i just try to keep putting on lean mass at this point, but that being said, i do wayyy more cardio than most people on here. at least an hour a day, sometimes 4-5

nakedsnake
02-06-2008, 06:29 PM
Not sure of how culking works, but right now I am on a steady diet of 6 meals a day each 500 cal (3000 cal a day) until the 1st of march to see if 3000 is enough to put on some mass slowly and possibly burn fat. So far my weight has been steady for the past week on this diet, and my waist went down 1" in one week (i'm skeptical about that tho, perhaps measured wrong or something last time, we'll see in 3 weeks).

Basically, you can try it out and experiment with it, but according to most ppl here they don't think it's worth it.

and i do cardio on my days off for 20 mins each time, then I'll drink creatine mix to kind of even out the calorie loss.

RUTGERS KID
02-06-2008, 06:44 PM
When you guys "culk" how many calories over maintenance do you eat?

Mr.Hombre
02-06-2008, 09:18 PM

I pretty much go by feel. I'm satisfied with where I'm at right now, so I only go above maintenance by about 500 on upper body days twice per week. most cals come mostly from carbs before my workout and the meal after my post-workout shake about 3 hours later.

Josh5442
02-06-2008, 09:24 PM

I eat around 1300 over my BMR and roughly 600 over maintenance, equates to 3000 calories per day. But, like I said, I do a ton of cardio.

gatsby121
02-06-2008, 09:30 PM
link to article?