PDA

View Full Version : just how important is it to split your meals into 6 a day?

SpAcEmAn Spliff
02-05-2008, 09:30 PM
i understand that it's optimal, but just how big of a difference would it be if i ate 3 meals a day. my lifestyle makes it really really hard for me to split it into 6 a day (unless i wanna sit in the middle of company meetings munching on snacks)

i just wanna know how much im missing out on from not doing this. i used to do 6 meals a day, but ive had to go back to 3-4 and i feel no difference...

biodarwin
02-05-2008, 09:36 PM
If your cutting it isnt a big deal. It does help in for bulking.

TheDukeUSMC
02-05-2008, 09:36 PM
I like to eat every 3-4 hours

bookv
02-05-2008, 09:46 PM
Splittling your intake into 6 meals instead of 3 just keeps your blood sugar levels steady and is better for nutrient absorption. If you're only eating 3 meals, they're likely to be pretty big and your body may not absorb it all.

joeflex73
02-05-2008, 10:23 PM
Splittling your intake into 6 meals instead of 3 just keeps your blood sugar levels steady and is better for nutrient absorption. If you're only eating 3 meals, they're likely to be pretty big and your body may not absorb it all.

Its also more conducive to put on weight. Lets say you can absorb around 40g of protein every 3 hours and had 6 meals youd get 240g. If you ate 80g of protein 3x a day, youd still have the same amount, but wouldnt absorb most as protein. A lot would oxidize and turn into sugar/fats. Thats a hypothetical number....just shown as an example.

Definitelynotme
02-05-2008, 10:56 PM
If your cutting it isnt a big deal. It does help in for bulking.

not only is this wrong, but its totally backwards.

if you are cutting, it is very benificial to eat many small meals throughout the day.

regardless of whether you are bulking or not, shoot for 6 meals a day.

SpAcEmAn Spliff
02-06-2008, 03:45 AM
ok, you guys arent really understanding the question. i dont need people to tell me to eat 6 meals a day, i already understand that its optimal. i want to know how much im setting myself back by not doing it, because im unable to do it on my schedule more than half the week.

rotlex
02-06-2008, 04:02 AM
ok, you guys arent really understanding the question. i dont need people to tell me to eat 6 meals a day, i already understand that its optimal. i want to know how much im setting myself back by not doing it, because im unable to do it on my schedule more than half the week.

Your fine. I've done anything from 2-6 meals per day. No difference in my performance, weight loss, weight gain, or whatever it is I'm trying to do. While I DO prefer to eat more often, it's only because I actually enjoy eating, not that it seems to make a difference in anything.

This is of course my opinion and experience with this. I'm sure most people here will disagree with me however.

-Aaron-
02-06-2008, 04:54 AM
There is virtually little benefit from eating 5-6 meals a day, to 2-3 meals a day. It doesn't stabilize your blood sugar, it doesn't rev up your metabolism, etc...

People need to start doing some research on this forum :rolleyes:

Rodzilla
02-06-2008, 05:29 AM
There is virtually little benefit from eating 5-6 meals a day, to 2-3 meals a day. It doesn't stabilize your blood sugar, it doesn't rev up your metabolism, etc...

People need to start doing some research on this forum :rolleyes:

not trying to start anything Aaron, but I think 2 vs. 6 may stabilize blood sugar.

to the OP 3 is fine, just make sure your calories/macros are set, and maybe make room for a snack if you would like.

Goni
02-06-2008, 05:40 AM
What kind of job do you have where you are in meetings all day and don't have a 5 minute break?

Distance
02-06-2008, 07:08 AM
Whats more important is overall cals/protein. The next most important is proper pre/post wo nutrition. Number of meals doesnt really matter too much if those are good