PDA

View Full Version : First cut, help appreciated.

Zepphire
02-04-2008, 02:47 PM
I'm a tad above 6ft, weigh 176 lbs. Bodyfat I'd say is 12-15% max. Definitely not over 15%. I started at a skinny-fat 110 lbs 3 years ago so I guess I did alright.
I'm not that strong yet (deadlift 315*8-10) but it's time to get clearly visible abs for the first time in my life. I really need some help with changes in my diet to make this a successful cut and to preserve as much muscle as possible. Hopefully I'll be able to get slightly stronger or at least stay the same in strength. My workout program will be HST.

This is what I've been eating to maintain weight at 174-178lbs:

Breakfast: oatmeal, whey shake

Snack If I'm up early (otherwise nothing): 2 slices of whole wheat bread with 2 slices of light cheese.

Lunch: chicken/turkey/tuna with wheat bread/brown rice and peas and carrots. Sometimes eggs or roll with healthy toppings if I'm at uni all day and there's no time to get something else.

Snack: apple, 2 slices of wheat bread with 2 slices of light cheese.

Dinner: chicken/turkey/tuna/steak with brown rice/potatoes/wheat pasta and vegetables

Snack: Peanut butter mixed with milk

Before bed: 2 cups of cottage cheese

I have another whey shake randomly throughout the day, or after the workout on workout days. I bought a jar of BCAA pills to use during the cut. (I'll just open the containers into the whey shake because the pills are fukin huge to swallow)

I also take 4-6 Omega 3 pills randomly throughout the day.

I'm open to any suggestions regarding my diet and how to alter it for my upcoming cut (which will start this Wednesday when I start my HST cycle and resume training)

I've been bike riding for cardio around 3 times a week for 20-30 minutes. I'm thinking of keeping my diet/caloric intake largely the same and just increase the cardio time to 40 mins and add a Tabatha cardio session once every 2 weeks. (very high intensity cardio in which you do around 80 reps of front squats in 4 minutes) I think just doing a bit more cardio will really spike my metabolism (I have an easy time losing weight, slightly harder time gaining it)

I plan on losing 0.5 kg a week (1.1lbs) and will get on the scale every day at the same time and evaluate every week, and adjust accordingly. (my weight tends to fluctuate a lot so I'm looking at the general trend) I'll keep cutting till I hit 160 lbs or lose significant strength.

Thanks for reading and please help.

Zepphire
02-05-2008, 02:10 AM
bump

FendersRule
02-05-2008, 02:18 AM
You might want to remove some carbs. Your carbs should be lower than on a bulk. I'm seeing too much wheat bread, and i've even seen pasta on there.

"Dinner: chicken/turkey/tuna/steak with brown rice/potatoes/wheat pasta and vegetables"'

You really should MINIMIZE the pasta/potatoes, brown rice, etc. You shouldn't be eating more than 20-30 carbs here.

Instead of eating a full potato with a large glass of milk, and chicken, you should be eating a small glass of milk, water, half a potato, veggies, and the same amount of chicken. See the change?

"Snack If I'm up early (otherwise nothing): 2 slices of whole wheat bread with 2 slices of light cheese."

Replace this low protein, high carb, and medium fat item with a high protein, low carb, low fat item. Cottage Cheese, Beef Jerky, and maybe a slice of toast. No need for two slices. That's like 50G of carbs.

Low carb wraps are a good alternative on a cut rather than all that bread you are still eating in a day. (I've counted 6 slices).

"Snack: apple, 2 slices of wheat bread with 2 slices of light cheese."

Ditto here. You have an apple, which has sugar. You have 50G of carbs with your wheat bread as well. This isn't low carb at all. Same as above.

Your Macros currently are medium-high carb/ Medium Protien / decent fat

You need again to change it to low carb / high protein / and low fat.

Zepphire
02-05-2008, 02:40 AM
Thanks, I'll go to the store later today and try to find some beef jerky and low carb wraps. (I live in Belgium so I'm not sure my supermarket carries these items)
When should I eat the apple then? I don't think it'd be very wise to have no fruit in my diet whatsoever.
I'll change the wheat bread + cheese snacks to Beef jerky + sunfower+pumpkin seeds. Is there no place for the cheese? content:
28.8 g protein, 19.3 g fat (13.9 g saturated) in 303 kcal for 100 g of cheese.

EDIT: It seems beef jerky isn't widely available here in Belgium so I'll have to find something else. I'm thinking 3-4 slices of "chicken" (this is the white part of a chicken that's sold in little slices at the butcher's) on half a slice of wheat bread (just to have something to keep the chicken in.)

FendersRule
02-05-2008, 02:55 AM
Some of my favorite lunch time things during a cut was a turkey or roast beef wrap. Same thing as sandwich, but with 20G of carbs tops instead of 50G of carbs (which is what wheat bread is).

I believe the notion is to keep fruits low on a cut. Maybe eat after a workout, or in the morning would be the best time for an apple.

EGG WHITES are a huge trick to any bulks/cuts. I don't think I could live without them.

Cheese is great. Cottage cheese or String cheese should be ate several times a day. Cheddar is fine, just in smaller quantitates.

I wasn't necessarily complaining about the apple per say. I was complaining about pairing up an apple with 2 slices of wheat bread. Just doesn't make any sense from any standpoint.

Just remember that your main priority is protein. Whenever you go to the pantry, protein-bound food should be on your mind. Carbs/Fats should a distant second.

Your late night meal looks great. That's what I have too, whether I'm bulking or cutting. (Cottage cheese, PB, cup of milk, etc).

Another tip is wraps. Make sure you grab lots of low carb wraps.