PDA

View Full Version : Wrestling workout

Varsity 130
11-05-2002, 08:22 PM
Wrestling season's coming up and I always lose a lot of strength during season, mainly because we lift like once, maybe twice a week, and even then we don't work hard at it. So I was wondering what kinds of workouts would be beneficial during season. I would be doing two workouts a week immediately before practice and probably 1 or 2 a week immediately after practice. Does anyone have any ideas on routines? HIT? Should I incorporate O-Lifts? I would also take whey protein before practice and glutamine after so I don't lose muscle. I mean I've been able to out-technique a lot of people, but they would overpower me. I dont want to screw my senior season over because I couldn't make time to lift. Thanks a lot in advance.

RonaldAsad
11-06-2002, 07:04 PM
dude i had the same thing in high school, most important part is have a great diet, with HIGH protein, and always eat lots of protein right after practice, and lift hard , monday wednesday and fridays,

Varsity 130
11-06-2002, 07:28 PM
Fridays are when tournaments are and we have them like every weekend, so those are out. There are two days which are going to be set anyway (most likely Tuesday and Thursday). So I was thinking maybe Monday after practice is when I would lift. I could do it Wednesday also but I think I would burn out or something. I was thinking volume on Tuesdays and Thursdays (that would be with the team and my intensity is never that high with the team because of whatever distractions). Then on Monday HIT when I can concentrate better (I'd be doing it alone). Does anyone have any suggestions or modifications?

Satan666
11-06-2002, 10:36 PM
My training drastically changed from football to wrestling season. For football, I tried increase mass and bulk up. I would do lower reps with heavier weights usually 3-4 sets. For wrestling, I tried to increase endurance by doing higher reps and higher sets (usually with less than a 30 second break between sets). Of course this took alot off how much I could max or rep during football but it can give you the edge you need for the third period of a match.

dez\null
11-07-2002, 05:47 AM
ever herd of the weights workout from minnasota?

you use a regular weigfht "one with grips" and you do a varaity of exercises with itl. pretty neat

SIZMTRZ
11-07-2002, 01:46 PM
Man, if your gonna lift to mantain strength through the season then hit the weights in the AM before your first hour. Cause lifting after Wrestling practice (If your are anything like mine were in HS) would be redundant. Your muscles would be so depleted from practice that lifting after words would begin to have a reverse affect (i.e.: Over training could lead to the body breaking down muscle for energy once the carbo stores are used up.) So If you lift in the AM when your strong, then carb up through the day prior to practice you should be good! Good luck this season!!!

spideydude
11-14-2002, 03:46 AM
In the days when I used to wrestllllleeee.

Smitty285
11-14-2002, 05:12 PM
Our team benches on Monday and Thursday, squats on Tuesday and Friday, and pullups/sit-ups on Wednesday and Saturday. We have a stupid "strength coach" who has the idea that after 72 hours of not lifting, your body will start to lose strength. This guy is huge and a prick, so no one wants to go against his word for fear of their life. I'm still trying to work up the courage to tell him that working a bodypart once a week will give us better results. Also, we do close-grip palms facing you type of pullups which don't do jack**** for your back (he claims it should only work your biceps, and pullups aren't for your back). Hell, we don't even have a back day (I throw one in on Sunday, my "day off"). But anyways, sorry for ranting about this guy. He's just another dumbass personal trainer, he can't help it.

SIZMTRZ
11-15-2002, 07:13 AM
hey Smitty, he sounds like most HS wanna be strength coachs. Too many time in HS the AD sees a Really Big guy come in as a teacher and they pounce on him to be a "strength coach" cause they assume that Size=Knowledge.

Honestly though, I think Bench, Squat, and DL are three GREAT lifts for people just begining to train do to the Broad Range of Muscles each of them Spans... maybe that is this coaches goal. Get with him one on one and explain to him that you are a little more of an experienced lifter and maybe he will allow you to modify your training?? Good Luck!

hawkpfc2
11-15-2002, 10:44 AM
In theory, it takes 72 hours for muscles to heal. 48-72 per group but you have to keep your volume fairly low for that to work effectively. No more than 6-7 exercises per workout. What your coach said is true IF your life was oriented around training. Since it is not, it would be best if you worked each body part less frequently. Bodybuilding strategies don't work too well for wrestling and your coach does sound stupid, but not for the 72 hour reason. More for the pullup and not working your back and abs for wrestling is just plain stupid!
Cheers,
Ben

If you want, I will give you a list of effective exercises tht will help with wrestling.

Varsity 130
11-15-2002, 06:08 PM
Hawk, I'd appreciate it. I think my coach is going to have us do circuit training like twice a week but I'll try to throw in another workout if I can.

sizz
11-16-2002, 09:16 AM
what your "stupid" strength coach is doing is pretty much a powerlifting routine :rolleyes:

dez\null
11-16-2002, 10:12 AM
mine does a bodybuilding routine. works like a charm

Smitty285
11-16-2002, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by sizz
what your "stupid" strength coach is doing is pretty much a powerlifting routine :rolleyes:

If there was a back day, then I'd have nothing against it.

BrockBoiPaul
11-18-2002, 12:20 PM
Well here is my schedule.

I have practices Mon - Fri at 4 pm every day, and on Saturday mornings at 9.

I usually hit our school gym at 6:30 am every week to work out, 5 days a week, Mon - Fri

Still use the same old split i do in summer

Mon - Shoulders & abs
Tues - Back and Forearms
Wed - Legs
Thurs - Chest
Fri - Arms

Also have to find time for cardio in there. I also would recommend supplementing with Prolabs Glutamine! It will help you to keep your muscle and is natural with no side affects. Diet is also important, as my diet is about 45% protein, 45% carbs and 10% fat. Also keep well hydrated with water.

Though your looking for a 2 day split, i would probably do a split like this

Tues - Chest, Back, quads/thighs, & abs
Thurs - Shoulders, Arms, Calves & abs

Alot to squeeze into one day and well past the prime 1 hour work out range.

Best of luck to you though!

Paul

Grapplers Gym
11-11-2004, 08:05 PM
Guys your better off training total body 2-3 times a week to maintain your strength and increase your endurance.

We like to use dumbbell complex's with 1:30-2 mins rest preseason then slowly reduce the rest time as the season goes on.

WhyBigH?
11-12-2004, 05:46 PM
Wrestling season's coming up and I always lose a lot of strength during season, mainly because we lift like once, maybe twice a week, and even then we don't work hard at it. So I was wondering what kinds of workouts would be beneficial during season. I would be doing two workouts a week immediately before practice and probably 1 or 2 a week immediately after practice. Does anyone have any ideas on routines? HIT? Should I incorporate O-Lifts? I would also take whey protein before practice and glutamine after so I don't lose muscle. I mean I've been able to out-technique a lot of people, but they would overpower me. I dont want to screw my senior season over because I couldn't make time to lift. Thanks a lot in advance.

It is up to you to work hard in the weight room, just because everyone else is slacking off doens't mean you have to.