PDA

View Full Version : How do you prepare brown rice??

tkatka70
02-16-2006, 05:05 PM
I was wondering what the best way to prepare brown rice is. The first time i had it i just boiled it and ate it plane and that was tough to take in. Can i fry it or something. Also do some of you guys cut up your chicken and put it in your rice.

pinay
02-16-2006, 08:02 PM
This is how I make mine. It comes out perfect everytime, I store it in single servings in the fridge so I can grab and go. :

3 cups long grain brown rice
4 3/4 cups chicken broth (Swanson's Natural Goodness - no salt added)
some chopped onion, garlic, chili flakes, pepper, cayanne pepper, poultry seasoning, etc for flavor
drizzle of olive oil (optional ~ I usually don't add this because it's really not necessary)

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Place the rice into an 9x13 glass baking dish.

Bring the chicken broth just to a boil in a kettle or covered saucepan. If you put the seasonings in with the broth, it'll steep like a tea and make it more flavorful. Once the broth boils, pour it over the rice, stir to combine, and cover the dish tightly with heavy-duty aluminum foil. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 1 hour.

After 1 hour, remove cover and fluff the rice with a fork.

~~~~~~~~~~~
The original recipe can be found here: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_30663,00.html

Jim_Gym
02-16-2006, 08:12 PM
I just cook a ten minute (actually eight minute for me) parboiled quick brown rice pouch in a pot with boiling water and mix it with hot black or red kidney beans to eat it. Yummy!

Casey1300
02-16-2006, 10:07 PM
What I do is just cook about a weeks worth of brown rice at a time.

Just boil some water and put a package of brown rice and cook on low for about 30-45 minutes until all the water is gone. Then I store it in a big dish in the fridge and take 1 cup out when I need it. That way I don't have to get out the uncooked rice and cook it everytime I need some. I do the same things with eggs. Ill boil a bunch of eggs and put them back in the carton of eggs to eat during the week.

Never2cut
02-16-2006, 10:09 PM
easiest for me is just brown rice and chicken broth in a rice cooker. They are cheap, like 15 bucks, can cook about 5 cups rice at a time. Fast easy and tastes good. Also, mixing in a can of low sodium black beans as well is really good. More fiber and protein.

odoreater
02-16-2006, 11:24 PM
i really hated eating brown rice until i started throwing in a teaspoon of olive oil for every 2 cups of rice. it makes it taste much better.