PDA

View Full Version : Pasta Bad Food For Belly Fat?

Surfgod
02-04-2008, 11:27 AM
How good of a food is pasta (with sauce and grated cheese) for losing belly fat and protein consumption?

tse
02-04-2008, 11:44 AM
IMO not too good. wholewheat pasta with no sauce or just some olive oil is what I eat sometimes which works ok, I'm cutting though so no cheese or sauces for me really. For protein I'd say it's pretty low, and depending on the sauce and cheese it could be quite high in fat.

There are definitely better choices you could make for protein and fat loss.

RU4A69
02-04-2008, 12:13 PM
almost as bad as fruit during a cut

tinyman5000
02-04-2008, 01:05 PM
Oh it's terrible for belly fat, i eat almost a box a day and look at my gut

snorkelman
02-04-2008, 01:39 PM
Oh it's terrible for belly fat, i eat almost a box a day and look at my gut

My guess is that's because you are 19. When you get older you will look back on these days and think, "damn, I remember when I could eat a box of white pasta and still have flat abs."

Oddball8945
02-04-2008, 01:44 PM
My guess is that's because you are 19. When you get older you will look back on these days and think, "damn, I remember when I could eat a box of white pasta and still have flat abs."

or because he eats less then he burns or the surplus in calories isnt to much to make him a fatty.

Does anyone realize that a particular food isnt going to make you fat and thats an excess calories in ANYTHING will?

oubobcat20
02-04-2008, 01:45 PM
yea when you are 19 it doesnt really matter what you eat so enjoy it bc someday you will have to engage in a practice called will power.

id stay away from pasta on a cut unless you want to do 1/2 a cup pre-workout

ConanHC
02-04-2008, 01:49 PM
or because he eats less then he burns or the surplus in calories isnt to much to make him a fatty.

Does anyone realize that a particular food isnt going to make you fat and thats an excess calories in ANYTHING will?
Pasta has lots of calories and even if what you say is true (and I agree with you), pasta will tend to tip your caloric intake and thus give your more chances of tipping your calorie balance over the top.

Pasta also has alot of starch that are complex sugars that turn into fat if not burnt.

But yes, if you burn it all, then no problem. you'll just have to run more. and if you eat pasta on a given day, your calorie might be higher that day and you wont have schredded as much fat.

tinyman5000
02-04-2008, 02:03 PM

I eat Whole wheat pasta

I am currently bulking up, my bf has gone down

its got nothing to do with my age

one food cannot make you fat

You're all retarded (except for oddball)

Issa4you10
02-04-2008, 03:12 PM
Whole wheat pasta isnt too bad every once and a while.

I come from an Italian family that eats pasta ALL THE TIME. After cutting my pasta intake to only once a week and switching to wheat with very little sauce, I noticed a difference in my body weight. My family freaked out about it but oh well haha.

You need carbs in your diet but you have to control how much of the carbs you actually eat. If it comes to pasta I usually eat a small hand sized portion with grilled chicken breast and salad.

user5145
02-04-2008, 03:40 PM
Pasta has lots of calories and even if what you say is true (and I agree with you), pasta will tend to tip your caloric intake and thus give your more chances of tipping your calorie balance over the top.

Pasta also has alot of starch that are complex sugars that turn into fat if not burnt.

But yes, if you burn it all, then no problem. you'll just have to run more. and if you eat pasta on a given day, your calorie might be higher that day and you wont have schredded as much fat.

ALL carbohydrates are broken down into glucose, and ANY MACRONUTRIENT will turn into fat if not used by the body. So you can't just say that it only applies to pasta, because that is what you are implying.

Surfgod
02-04-2008, 04:05 PM
Okay thanks for the tips guys.

US_Ranger
02-04-2008, 04:30 PM
Pasta itself won't make you fat but pasta is a tricky business because it's very calorie dense. That little bowl you think you just enjoyed or a snack could have hundreds of calories. That's why it can be considered a dangerous food for cutting. If you want to be really strict with it and still enjoy pasta, weigh it out so you can see how many grams of carbs you're getting from it. A nice solid 60g of carbs won't hurt you but eating a big bowl and getting 200g of carbs is overkill for a cut.

Also, try eating pasta sauce, low fat meat, veggies WITHOUT the actual pasta. It takes really good and you can save a lot of the calories.

pezking
02-04-2008, 04:33 PM
Whole wheat pasta is fine if it fits in your macros. The problem is that to fit it into your macros you'll likely end up having a very small amount of pasta. Not very good for cutting unless you don't mind feeling hungry

ConanHC
02-04-2008, 05:45 PM
ALL carbohydrates are broken down into glucose, and ANY MACRONUTRIENT will turn into fat if not used by the body. So you can't just say that it only applies to pasta, because that is what you are implying.

err no. Not all carbs turn into glucose; they turn eventually in monosaccharides, which is what I think you wanted to say. More monosaccharides include fructose, galactose, xylose and ribose.

But I digress. What I said was that pasta contains alot of complex carbs so you have more chances of them turning into fat. You are absolutely right to affirm that any macros turn into fat if not used. Therefore, if you stay in your designated macros, you should be fine. For someone that doesn't count his macros though, pastas can be dangerous as they provide alot of carbs and if not burnt, turn into fat.

A good example of what I said, but explained perhaps in a better way is what Pezking said:

Whole wheat pasta is fine if it fits in your macros. The problem is that to fit it into your macros you'll likely end up having a very small amount of pasta. Not very good for cutting unless you don't mind feeling hungry

taf1968
02-04-2008, 06:00 PM
its got nothing to do with my age

You just keep telling yourself that . . . and check back with us on this theory in 10 or 15 years when your metabolism starts taking naps and/or long vacations.

:)

FendersRule
02-04-2008, 06:12 PM
Pasta is not good for a cut. The only time it is good, is in little servings, which is not worth the fixings.

That being said, I never eat pasta on my cuts. It's LOADED with carbs.

It's best to stick to Chicken, Vegetables, and a small serving of potatoes + lots of water.

trueaussie
02-04-2008, 06:13 PM
How good of a food is pasta (with sauce and grated cheese) for losing belly fat and protein consumption?

the thing is....pasta contains alot of carbs and ur body can only process a limited amount of carbs to glycogen at a given time...the rest is turned to fat...so say if u eat 250g of pasta...then that is equal to around 180grams of carbs which is too much for the body to process...eat around a maximum of 150g of pasta at a given time and ull be sweet...i do it :)...the cheese however does contain alot of fat but remember that if it is in ur macros and u eat it in moderation then u should be fine with eating cheese aswell....if u want pasta sauce then go with a natural sauce without too much fat and/or sugar...

Oddball8945
02-04-2008, 06:14 PM

this post should be the end all of this thread, any other advice / theories about carbs going to fat instantly or after a certin point are wrong.

FendersRule
02-04-2008, 06:16 PM
this post should be the end all of this thread, any other advice / theories about carbs going to fat instantly or after a certin point are wrong.

Exactly. Carbs are STORED of for energy usage. After a certain period of time if they are not used, it is stored as fat.

Doesn't instantly go to fat.

user5145
02-04-2008, 06:48 PM
err no. Not all carbs turn into glucose; they turn eventually in monosaccharides, which is what I think you wanted to say. More monosaccharides include fructose, galactose, xylose and ribose.

But I digress. What I said was that pasta contains alot of complex carbs so you have more chances of them turning into fat. You are absolutely right to affirm that any macros turn into fat if not used. Therefore, if you stay in your designated macros, you should be fine. For someone that doesn't count his macros though, pastas can be dangerous as they provide alot of carbs and if not burnt, turn into fat.

A good example of what I said, but explained perhaps in a better way is what Pezking said:

http://www.unisanet.unisa.edu.au/08366/h%26p2carb.htm#gluc_fates

Digestion in the gut converts all carbohydrate to monosaccharides which are transported to the liver and converted to glucose. The liver has a central role in the storage and distribution within the body of all fuels, including glucose.
Glucose in the body undergoes one of three metabolic fates :

http://www.faqs.org/nutrition/Ca-De/Carbohydrates.html

Sugars such as galactose, glucose, and fructose that are found naturally in foods or are produced by the breakdown of polysaccharides enter into absorptive intestinal cells. After absorption, they are transported to the liver where galactose and fructose are converted to glucose and released into the bloodstream.

You are saying if it does not fall into the macros, then pasta is bad. The same can be said of ANY food. I just think you make it sound like the reason is converted to fat is because it is pasta, when a better reason would be to say it is because it does not fit the macros.

ConanHC
02-05-2008, 07:52 AM
I just think you make it sound like the reason is converted to fat is because it is pasta, when a better reason would be to say it is because it does not fit the macros.

Nope, never said it was converted to fat because it's pasta. Yep, I did say, like you, that it's because it doesn't fit the macros.

I'm done repeating myself, if you want the last word, then be my guest.

And about the monosachharides issue and Glucose, well, we have contradictory sources. Mine is wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monosaccharide

user5145
02-05-2008, 08:01 AM
I know that there are various monosaccharides, but the point I was making was that they are converted to glucose in the liver.

tinyman5000
02-05-2008, 08:07 AM
how about the fact that people are going on and on about the mother****ing carbs in pasta, 2 oz of pasta (a serving size, small bowl) has as many carbs as two pieces of whole wheat bread or a tiny ****ing sweet potato, something people on these boards eat a ton of

Jim_Gym
02-05-2008, 08:55 AM
how about the fact that people are going on and on about the mother****ing carbs in pasta, 2 oz of pasta (a serving size, small bowl) has as many carbs as two pieces of whole wheat bread or a tiny ****ing sweet potato, something people on these boards eat a ton of

Nobody eats two oz of pasta! Most people eat way more!

baarat
02-05-2008, 08:56 AM
There's nothing wrong with pasta whether your bulking or cutting, geez us.........

ChingChang
02-05-2008, 10:36 AM
I have been eating sbarro's pasta 5 days a week and 1-2 days a week I have a huge plate of pasta before I go to bed. It hasn't affected my body fat at all.

tinyman5000
02-05-2008, 10:43 AM
I have been eating sbarro's pasta 5 days a week and 1-2 days a week I have a huge plate of pasta before I go to bed. It hasn't affected my body fat at all.

but you have to understand most people in the nutrition section dont train hard

user5145
02-05-2008, 11:25 AM
but you have to understand most people in the nutrition section dont train hard

I LOL'ed.

It's true to a certain extent.

c.g.
02-05-2008, 11:49 AM
im on a cut and enjoy pasta onc every week or 2. still getting good results. might isee better without it? sure. but i dont workout only to look nice, i like to stay healthy. theres plenty of health benefits to eating pasta.

US_Ranger
02-05-2008, 12:13 PM

Lol, who eats 2 oz of pasta?

tinyman5000
02-05-2008, 12:25 PM
Lol, who eats 2 oz of pasta?

Someone who understands moderation

I usually eat my 16 oz in this manner

6-8 before i workout

4-6 at dinner

2 after my pwo meal

2 before cardio

If i had a slower metabolism i'd still make the bulk of my carbs from pasta

baarat
02-05-2008, 12:32 PM
Someone who understands moderation

I usually eat my 16 oz in this manner

6-8 before i workout

4-6 at dinner

2 after my pwo meal

2 before cardio

If i had a slower metabolism i'd still make the bulk of my carbs from pastaVery true. Most people don't know how much 2 ounces of dry pasta equates to, which is about 1 cup cooked.

tinyman5000
02-05-2008, 12:34 PM
Very true. Most people don't know how much 2 ounces of dry pasta equates to, which is about 1 cup cooked.

4 oz is a ****load, especially if you put a small amount of sauce cheese and some kind of chicken. if you put a cup of veggies in it it'll take like 15 minutes to eat just for 2 ounces. People have no self control in these forums, they're all food addicted slobs who compliain about fat gain and i bet most dont even train with any kind of intensity