PDA

View Full Version : Excess protein... why is it bad?

JayKid
02-14-2006, 09:50 AM
Well, I've heard more than once that you should have 1g of protein per 1 pound of your weight. However, when you go above this - is it bad? If so, why?

I tried searching, but couldn't find anything that answered the question.

It seems that all excess calories are always carbs. You keep fats to about 15-25% of your diet, proteins are 1g-1lb and carbs are the rest. So basically when cutting and bulking, the excess or deficit is in carbs, mainly.

Why? Say you have more like 1.5g per 1lb of weight and this makes up some of the calorie excess - why is this bad? Even if the protein isn't being used for protein sysnthesis to help the muscles because it's too much, can't it be used for energy (like carbs)??

The main reason I ask is because I'm trying to bulk and at 130 pounds, it's easy for me to go past that. With 2,400 calories daily I'm up to 190-200g of protein (a bit less if I don't continue to eat these soba noodles).

My ratio is about 50/30/20 though, would I be better off trading some protein for something else? Or will it really not matter in the end?

I just don't get why excess protein is bad. So if someone can explain this, it'd be helpful.

Mister_A
02-14-2006, 10:05 AM
200g of Protein would be fine for you.

People bulking eat much much more cals than 2400 even for your same weight.

JayKid
02-14-2006, 10:31 AM
ok, 200g is fine... that's good.

phikappa
02-14-2006, 10:35 AM
Supposedly, it taxes your kidneys. But I think that's only theory. No definitive proof of that (documented cases).

shrugs or drugs
02-14-2006, 10:38 AM
i read your supposed to get 1.5g per lb but doesnt matter...

make sure you dont take in over 30 grams in one serving cause your body only can take in 25-35 grams in one sitting so u will be pissing away those grams u went over on

Analyst
02-14-2006, 10:41 AM
Supposedly, it taxes your kidneys. But I think that's only theory. No definitive proof of that (documented cases).

There's a study that was completed a couple of years back that followed several subjects over a decade or so. Those who had pre-existing kidney problems and who ate high levels of protein over that time period supposedly had further reductions in kidney function. Those who had no existing kidney problems were fine with high levels of protein; they experienced no reduction in kidney function.

So to sum up: you need a pre-existing kidney problem, and you need to consume high levels of protein for years to cause further kidney problems. And even then, we're talking a reduction of roughly 20% in a certain kidney function (don't recall what it was).

The one thing to be aware of is that you may have mild pre-existing kidney problems, but not be aware of it. So if you're concerned, go to your doctor and get your kidneys checked (always a good idea to visit your doctor before beginning a new exercise routine in the first place).

JayKid
02-14-2006, 11:05 AM
Blah, I dunno what to do now cuz I don't wanna get kidney problems :(

Also, 25-30 a meal? a 5-6oz piece of chicken has 45g or protein or so and that's pretty average for most people in a meal.

Also, what happens to the excess that isn't used that meal? I personally don't need the excess protein anwyay, but need the calories I'm eating - so does it matter?

Example: I eat eat 45g or protein from chicken and about 15g of protein from pasta one of my meals during the day. This is 60g (it is my biggest protein meal and biggest meal in general).

Should I try eating less calories/protein this meal and put more somewhere else in carbs?

Btw, i am only going to be bulking for about 10 pounds, which is hopefully no more than say 2 months or so. After that the protein levels (and calories levels) will drop down and I'll be taking in 1g per pound and be cutting.

What do you think I should do?

-and btw, I plan on telling my doctor at some point, he'll be able to help hopefully.

Analyst
02-14-2006, 11:23 AM
Blah, I dunno what to do now cuz I don't wanna get kidney problems :(

Also, 25-30 a meal? a 5-6oz piece of chicken has 45g or protein or so and that's pretty average for most people in a meal.

Also, what happens to the excess that isn't used that meal? I personally don't need the excess protein anwyay, but need the calories I'm eating - so does it matter?

Example: I eat eat 45g or protein from chicken and about 15g of protein from pasta one of my meals during the day. This is 60g (it is my biggest protein meal and biggest meal in general).

Should I try eating less calories/protein this meal and put more somewhere else in carbs?

Btw, i am only going to be bulking for about 10 pounds, which is hopefully no more than say 2 months or so. After that the protein levels (and calories levels) will drop down and I'll be taking in 1g per pound and be cutting.

What do you think I should do?

-and btw, I plan on telling my doctor at some point, he'll be able to help hopefully.

The "25-30 g of protein at once" is a myth. There probably is an upper limit, but remember, what you eat spends a lot of time in your digestive system. The protein you're eating now is sharing space in your DI with meals you had this morning, and yesterday. So "at once" is pretty hazy.

And you're right: a single steak or chicken meal can have a lot more protein than 25-30g. If we could only handle that much protein in one sitting, most of our food would go to waste, which would be pretty bad from a survival standpoint. So no, you can most likely handle more than that at once. :)

As I posted above, unless you already have kidney problems, excess protein should be fine for you.