PDA

View Full Version : Teenage girl died of low carb diet

deantheaussie
11-02-2002, 03:42 PM
In my local newspaper there was an article about a teenage american girl dieing of a low carb diet!!!

It doesnt really refer to keto being the diet but the atkins diet... but basically it talks about the fact that ur brain needs glucose to function... u dont get much of that with keto... this causes an electrolight inbalance and irregular heartbeat <-- the reasons for her death...

I dont know but u guys but im off keto as of now im not gonna take any chances... im going 40/40/30 .... good luck

bachovas
11-02-2002, 03:53 PM
My bet's on anorexia

Blindfaith
11-02-2002, 04:14 PM
they are just using the atkins diet as a scapegoat...she might have been anorexic like bachovas said or she could have been doing or using a number of different things....the media only gives you the candy coating of the story...never the entire thing!

tcs1366
11-02-2002, 04:19 PM
well, here is the link to that article
http://www.reuters.com/news_article.jhtml?type=healthnews&StoryID=1663648

there are so many things that are unclear, and having been a teenage girl, way back when... we certainly don't tell our parents everything and most will do just about anything to lose weight or to get thinner - even if they are already thin. (pills, drugs, starvation, etc. and electrolite balance was never a concern)

there is probably a logical explanation, and as Blind stated, they are using this *diet* as a scapegoat.

aprildawn
11-02-2002, 04:23 PM
The electrolyte imbalance and heart problems definitely sound like bulimia may be involved.

MsFit
11-02-2002, 05:26 PM
Reference is made to an eating disorder and diuretic abuse as well as low-carb dieting. What the media is going to focus on is the dieting approach to make it look bad. They are hitting the low-carb approach at every angle to destroy it.
MsFit

Luke530
11-02-2002, 06:04 PM
yeah... I'll definately put any money on it that it was an eating disorder...

I mean, a teenage girl? diet? 2+2= annorexia or bulemia...

Fatass
11-02-2002, 06:53 PM
Well, the eating disorder thing is probably true, but a Keto diet doesn't entail absolutely no carbs. You have a carb up day every week. I doubt it would be good for you to skip that day. I doubt she even did Atkins correctly. I wouldn't go off a diet because some teenage girl abused her body. If you do things with research and knowledge, you should be safe.

Malgavito
11-02-2002, 07:11 PM
yeah, she had to do something wrong
or lots of bbers would die
especially with the weight lifting
im sure she didn't lift heavy.

I dont know but u guys but im off keto as of now im not gonna take any chances... im going 40/40/30 .... good luck
is there a 40 40 30 diet?
I thought it was 40 40 20
as in 40 % 40 % 20 %?

:-\

anyways
you can get electrolytes other ways

Jeffinchico
11-02-2002, 07:16 PM
If youre going to write about something as serious as this and make the sort of claim you did why dont you leave a link to the document instead of having someone else do it. You certainly did leave out alot information from the article. I find it funny that this sort of diet has been going on for 30 years and not one report of death or even serious illness has been docutmented ?? No it was definitely not the diet it was something else. But I think you may have a job as a journalist in the enquirer.

aprildawn
11-02-2002, 07:21 PM
I don't mean to stereotype or generalize but many teen girls go on horrible diets and take them to the extreme. I used to go to women's forums for fat loss and exercise and you should have seen some of these diets. They were basically starving themselves. And they would never listen to any common sense about nutrition.

Luke530
11-02-2002, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by aprildawn
I don't mean to stereotype or generalize but many teen girls go on horrible diets and take them to the extreme. I used to go to women's forums for fat loss and exercise and you should have seen some of these diets. They were basically starving themselves. And they would never listen to any common sense about nutrition.

it's sad...

Richie
11-02-2002, 10:58 PM
the article says "high protein" diet. a proper keto diet is a high FAT" diet. there is a big differance and all the critics who trash a low-carb diet and tell about all the bad things don't understand. i failed twice with a keto diet because my fat intake was too low. once i increased my fat my bodyfat started dropping among MANY other positive things. i agree with everyone else about the eating disorder thing. they're disastrous for a persons health. Richie

97LT1
11-03-2002, 04:55 AM
Originally posted by aprildawn
I don't mean to stereotype or generalize but many teen girls go on horrible diets and take them to the extreme. I used to go to women's forums for fat loss and exercise and you should have seen some of these diets. They were basically starving themselves. And they would never listen to any common sense about nutrition. BUMP

Too many teens go overboard with self appearance issues. Keto is not dangerous, nor is any other diet. The main rule of any form of diet for newbies is to go at it slow, and at a controlled pace.

Either way, it is unfortunate for her family. :(

Mrs.Fitness
11-03-2002, 11:15 AM
Not only that but the fact that she was a teen says it all .She had no clue what she was doing...or if what she was doing was safe...all she cared about is looking like Britney Spears or some other size (1) celeb.

It boils down to the fat that low carb is not bad...NO carb is and I am sure she took it to the extreme.

Luke530
11-03-2002, 11:20 AM
personally, I don't like those model type figures that model for like CK or Raplph Lauren... they need to have some fat on them... so they have a figure... not chubby, but not bony...

Britney is HOT :D

97LT1
11-03-2002, 11:26 AM
Hopefully some teens will be spared a fatal outcome by this situation.

Learn to love yourself. :)

I didn't know how until i became an adult. Damn peer pressure and lack of confidence in myself prevented me from doing so. :o