PDA

View Full Version : Can you lose 1000 calories a day safely?

JohnPaul
02-02-2006, 02:28 PM
Hey guys i was wondering if you can help me out. I'm pretty chubby and finally decided to take a inititive to lose fat. I have been doing this workout everyday. What do you guys think?

I use the treadmill for 1 hour (500 calories)
I jump rope for 30 min (200 calories)
I hit my punching bag for 30 min (100 calories)
And i weight the weights for 30 minutes (200 calories)

Is it safe to burn all these calories in 1 day?? I feel fine a little tired but nothing i havn't gotten used to.

nithos
02-02-2006, 02:30 PM
As long as you are eating enough, yes.

But you really don't have to do all that just to drop a little weight. One hour of physical activity a day is typically enough for most people.

Abyss
02-02-2006, 02:33 PM
Whats ur diet like? Thats too much IMO.

Rachel_n_SD
02-02-2006, 02:39 PM
actually i think 1000 calories a day is fine!

1000 x 7= 7000

7000 calories = 2 lbs of fat per week. perfectly healthy.

BUT! ---you are doing it all through exercise (mostly cardio, i see)?!

most people do 500 from exercise, 500 deficit in your diet.

just make sure you are eating enough calories.

JohnPaul
02-02-2006, 03:57 PM
Yes i believe i am eating enough calories, they may not be all that healthy yet but i am pretty close to eating 3990 calories minus 500 from my diet, which a online calculator/website said is right for my weight.
I know i probably should be weightlifting a bit more but after i started doing it after a 5 year abscense my muscles were so sore i had to take a few days off to recover.

91SundanceRS
02-03-2006, 12:09 AM
Hey guys i was wondering if you can help me out. I'm pretty chubby and finally decided to take a inititive to lose fat. I have been doing this workout everyday. What do you guys think?

I use the treadmill for 1 hour (500 calories)
I jump rope for 30 min (200 calories)
I hit my punching bag for 30 min (100 calories)
And i weight the weights for 30 minutes (200 calories)

Is it safe to burn all these calories in 1 day?? I feel fine a little tired but nothing i havn't gotten used to.

Loss of 2 lbs/week is the general Speed Limit for fat loss. Exceeding that speed limit generally causes you to lose more muscle in most cases.

dxdoan
02-03-2006, 04:23 AM
I know i probably should be weightlifting a bit more but after i started doing it after a 5 year abscense my muscles were so sore i had to take a few days off to recover.
come on take the pain.
imo i give u 2 weeks max before you give up with that kind of routine.
I am not sure how heavy u are but 4000 cal a day is a lot.
I would like to see what kind of meal plan u are on and wat u are eating because if u are eating right u should not get near that amount. But it would help to know how heavy u are. Because if u are heavy then wat i have said can be ignored.
Its great that u have intiative to lose fat but i'd recommend u to take it slowly or else you will give up within a matter of days. I have seen it happen to a lot of ppl.

JohnPaul
02-04-2006, 09:23 AM
come on take the pain.
imo i give u 2 weeks max before you give up with that kind of routine.
I am not sure how heavy u are but 4000 cal a day is a lot.
I would like to see what kind of meal plan u are on and wat u are eating because if u are eating right u should not get near that amount. But it would help to know how heavy u are. Because if u are heavy then wat i have said can be ignored.
Its great that u have intiative to lose fat but i'd recommend u to take it slowly or else you will give up within a matter of days. I have seen it happen to a lot of ppl.
Thanks alot phillip,
I filled out one of those online calculators and it gave me this result for my bodyweight 210lbs.

100grams of fat
315 grams of protein
420grams of carbs
3990 calories

Now i know people say to eat at least 5 times a day healthy so that your digestive system can burn more calories up but i just don't believe it. I am eating 3 meals a day pretty much healthy (it's nearly impossible to find out how many calories i'm eating) but my mentality is if i eat 3 meals a day i have a better chance staying below my calorie intake as opposed to 6 small meals a day.
Also what is a bit of a drawback is that my parents don't want me to lose weight! they say i look fine but i'm not cause i have always been a bit chubby.
The Italian food i'm being fed everyday is soo tempting i know i have to cut back. So i'm just gonna have to believe my mother when she says "oh this meal is very light not that many calories"

David77
02-04-2006, 12:28 PM
Thanks alot phillip,
I am eating 3 meals a day pretty much healthy (it's nearly impossible to find out how many calories i'm eating) but my mentality is if i eat 3 meals a day i have a better chance staying below my calorie intake as opposed to 6 small meals a day.

You need to know exactly how many calories you're getting. I doubt you'll succeed just going by mom.

Also when your fat loss stalls (if you do lose any fat) it's because of eating only 3 meals/day.

ByeBye225
02-04-2006, 12:43 PM
Considering you burn hundreds of calories just being alive, it should be fine. If your doing like 1000 cals on a treadmill a day, then your over working.

ByeBye225
02-04-2006, 12:44 PM
What are you trying to do? Cut weight I'm guessing?

MDM_
02-04-2006, 04:41 PM
I cut out 3000 calories per day.

Then again I was consuming 6000 calories before hand. I've stabilized at 2500/avg per day.

I was doing 1800 calories avg per day for 2 weeks, but that was too low for a guy my size.

cardioking
02-04-2006, 06:47 PM
Lets put it this way.... muscle burns calories. 35 calories per pound of muscle to be accurate. If you have 100 lbs of lean muscle mass then you are burning 3500 calories a day just having muscle mass. This is why people get fat. They actually do not eat enough to keep their metabolism up. Then they put on fat! Cut down on the cardio to 45 minutes to and hour and lift for another 30-45 minutes.