PDA

View Full Version : Is my brother losing fat the stupid way?

click here
02-02-2006, 03:40 AM
He refuses to do cardio

He only eats a little bit of food each day eg for dinner he had a piece of fruit and just drank a litre of soy milk

I think he is a pussy :)

StrongEnough?
02-02-2006, 03:42 AM
Pussy??... Yes!

Print this out and give it to him.

5-6 meals a day
eat every 2-3 hours
eat the same amount of Protein, Carbs, Fats (EFA's) IN EVERY MEAL!!!!!!!
7+ hours of sleep
Tons of water!

How much calories to take in?????
Click on the first link. Take that number, and multiply is by one of the 5 selection of your daily activities on the second link. Once you have this number (Maintenance level), subtract 500 from that number when Cutting, and increase by 500 when Bulking.

Example : BMR = 2000, Activity level = 4, 2000x 1.725 = 3450 - 500 = 2950. This is what you should start your calories at. Seem high? These will drop as you lose more weight.

1st link ---- >http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/
2nd link ---- >http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/

Protein : Poultry, fish, red meat, cottage cheese, Whey, eggs
Carbs : Whole wheat pasta, whole wheat bread (100%). brown rice, rolled or steel oats, fruit
Fats: Olive oil, fish oil, flax oil, nuts (almonds, pecans, walnuts), almond and peanut butter (all natural)

Dairy: Fat free yogurt, skim milk, fat free cottage cheese, or soy milk

EAT YOUR VEGGIES! (They're low calorie/carb yes... but have you look at what minerals are in them????)

Pre-workout Meals: 60-90 minutes before workout
Post-workout Meals: Within 45 minutes after lifting (Get a High GI carb, and a fast source of protein like Whey)

Cardio : 4-5 days a week, 1 hour tops (for cutting)
1-2 days a week, 1 hour tops (for bulking)

Lift Heavy!!! 3-4 days a week! Do not train the same muscle group every day, or every other day (meaning, bench twice a week, or curls twice a week). Keep reps between 8-10 range, 3-4 sets. This doesn't include a warm up set. Make sure the muscle group is nice and warm before hitting it hard.

Once a week, enjoy a cheat meal (that's meal, not day)

Drink water, but not over doing it. Drink when you're thristy! Too much water will flush your electrolytes, and you'll feel/look like ****!

Remember, you're not only doing this to look great, have washboard abs, and 18inch guns, but to be in great shape and very healthy. Eat Clean, Lift heavy.

4amWorkouts
02-02-2006, 04:25 AM
Your brother is losing weight in a very unhealthy manner, and chances are he will gain back twice as much as he lost over the next 6 months to a year. First, his 'diet ' is lacking in essential nutrition. Second, he is killing his metabolism.

I would suggest:

1) Eat small meals every 2.5-3hrs.
2) Eat mostly protein and EFA, with carbs coming mostly from whole fruits and vegetables, with very moderate whole grains. All in moderation.
3) Exercise at least 3 times a week for 30min, while 5 times a week for 45-60min would be optimum.
4) Due cardio and resistance training. Find exercises that you enjoy and will consistantly do.

fLaPjAk
02-02-2006, 05:27 AM
yes, your brother is doing this the dumb way...

i for one have not implemented any cardio nor do i plan to until week 6 (currently in week 4) and have already shed a significant amount of bodyfat (via putting on muscle) going on the following:

- 5-6 meals a day, equal distribution of protein/carbs/fats in every meal
- based on a 40%/40%/20% split
- mutlivitamins (GNC megaman, twice a day)
- tablespoon of flax seed oil every morning
- lifting HARD, 4x a week
*chest/triceps
*back/biceps
*shoulders/traps
*abs/legs
- tons of water (7-8L a day)
- 2000 calories a day (5'7", 165lbs, age 24)
- *edit* 8 hours of sleep every night... sleep is SO important!

if he keeps up what he's doing, he will lose any muscle he has... this will result in a drop on the weight on the scale, but he will look just as "fat" (if he is, already).

listen to these guys, especially StrongEnough?... he has his head on straight and kicked my ass into getting serious about proper nutrition and exercising HARD... if your brother is not feeling the cardio, he can live without it for a while and STILL see signficant gains in muscle and loss in bodyfat (of course, once he plateau's cardio will have to be done)

like StrongEnough? said, print this thread and show your brother.

i am so proud of myself and how rapid of a change i've seen in 4 weeks... this is a lifestyle change, tell your brother to be prepared to stick to it.

ilovefish
02-02-2006, 10:12 AM
Yeah he most certainly is..............sad thing is this is how most people do it and then wonder why they get fat again and most of the time even fatter than before........the guys who posted ahead of me laid it out great definatly show him this thread..............

Analyst
02-02-2006, 10:21 AM
If he refuses to do "cardio" per se, can you at least convince him to go on sightseeing walks (keep the tempo to 3 MPH or more) most every day for maybe 1/2 to 1 hour total?

What about if he works on the upper floor of a building? Can you convince him to take the stairs, instead of elevators?

Anything helps...

alblocker
02-02-2006, 10:25 AM
your brother eh?

RamboII
02-02-2006, 02:37 PM
Yes Sir,

Make him read these boards. Most people don't realize they have to eat.

I took cardio out of my routine recently ( I still snowboard minimum twice a week for 3 to 4 hours ) and I concentrate on lifting 3 days a week. After the last 2 months I have not lost a pound. Still at 213, I think I gained one actually. I look way more defined, my cloths are alot looser. Whats that tell ya I have lost fat and replaced that weight with muscle which means my motabolism is faster and it will be that much easier to lose the last 15 lbs I want to lose before summer ( which I will start to cut serious april 1st ) so I am at my goal by june 1st.

Tell him to eat clean, lift hard and throw some cardio in. Don't be lazy.

legends159
02-02-2006, 06:16 PM
I used to eat like him...very little..only two meals (for about half a year) and now i'm eating 1800 calories a day which is about 600 calories less than my maintenance level being 5'10 and 160 Male and working out everyday (weights M,W,F) and cardio (T,TH) and I dont see great results

I wonder if my metabolism needs time to adjust or something?

Adam444
02-02-2006, 06:22 PM
Pussy??... Yes!

Print this out and give it to him.

5-6 meals a day
eat every 2-3 hours
eat the same amount of Protein, Carbs, Fats (EFA's) IN EVERY MEAL!!!!!!!
7+ hours of sleep
Tons of water!

How much calories to take in?????
Click on the first link. Take that number, and multiply is by one of the 5 selection of your daily activities on the second link. Once you have this number (Maintenance level), subtract 500 from that number when Cutting, and increase by 500 when Bulking.

Example : BMR = 2000, Activity level = 4, 2000x 1.725 = 3450 - 500 = 2950. This is what you should start your calories at. Seem high? These will drop as you lose more weight.

1st link ---- >http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/
2nd link ---- >http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/

Protein : Poultry, fish, red meat, cottage cheese, Whey, eggs
Carbs : Whole wheat pasta, whole wheat bread (100%). brown rice, rolled or steel oats, fruit
Fats: Olive oil, fish oil, flax oil, nuts (almonds, pecans, walnuts), almond and peanut butter (all natural)

Dairy: Fat free yogurt, skim milk, fat free cottage cheese, or soy milk

EAT YOUR VEGGIES! (They're low calorie/carb yes... but have you look at what minerals are in them????)

Pre-workout Meals: 60-90 minutes before workout
Post-workout Meals: Within 45 minutes after lifting (Get a High GI carb, and a fast source of protein like Whey)

Cardio : 4-5 days a week, 1 hour tops (for cutting)
1-2 days a week, 1 hour tops (for bulking)

Lift Heavy!!! 3-4 days a week! Do not train the same muscle group every day, or every other day (meaning, bench twice a week, or curls twice a week). Keep reps between 8-10 range, 3-4 sets. This doesn't include a warm up set. Make sure the muscle group is nice and warm before hitting it hard.

Once a week, enjoy a cheat meal (that's meal, not day)

Drink water, but not over doing it. Drink when you're thristy! Too much water will flush your electrolytes, and you'll feel/look like ****!

Remember, you're not only doing this to look great, have washboard abs, and 18inch guns, but to be in great shape and very healthy. Eat Clean, Lift heavy.

Sticky.

Except the cardio part. 1 hour? :|

ilovefish
02-02-2006, 06:25 PM
I used to eat like him...very little..only two meals (for about half a year) and now i'm eating 1800 calories a day which is about 600 calories less than my maintenance level being 5'10 and 160 Male and working out everyday (weights M,W,F) and cardio (T,TH) and I dont see great results

I wonder if my metabolism needs time to adjust or something?

Yeah it does.......eating that low below bmr for that long really completely screws your metabolism........its slow and wants to die lol.............but seriously......if i were you......seein your eating below maintence and wanna lose weight.......id slowly eat my way back up to maintence like 200-300 calories a week an stay there for another few weeks to get everything running smoothly again.......then slowly drop back down an i think you'll see better results.......obviously still lifting an doing your cardio during that time........

legends159
02-02-2006, 06:30 PM
Well i definitely feel my metabolism getting up since i'm getting hungrier a lot more often. My problem was that I didnt have time to eat since i'd have to run from classes to work and back to classes. Now I just pack my own food and eat from there. I used to be able to go 8 hours w/o eating and not be hungry, now its tough going just 4.

ilovefish
02-02-2006, 06:34 PM
I know how you feel.........it can be tough sometimes.......barely 2 hours pass before im hungry again it sucks lol

LightCrow
02-02-2006, 08:21 PM
Before pushing your brother to go to the full 6 meals that most of us eat every day, I would just try to get him to eat something at breakfast and lunch. I used to only eat one meal (and not in the Warrior Diet good way) and going from one to three is a big step. If you start pushing him to eat 5-6 times he will probably really not listen to you and keep doing his thing. It would be easier to convince him to eat the extra 2. You will also be in a position to advise him about foods that are good for losing weight.

As for working out, I would take the same moderate approach. Just encourage him to come jogging with you (note I said jog, nothing like HIIT yet) for 30 minutes or so. Nothing too taxing, but it at least gets him moving and maybe in a semi-regular workout pattern. If he is open to it, maybe even get him to the gym to do some benching and arm work that normal people consider a good bodybuilding workout.

It's important to remember that the general population does not always have the same goals as bodybuilding types when losing weight. Most guys that are overweight would be happy to just fit in to 34 size pants and are not too worried about getting to sub-10% bodyfat. They also are not prepared to make the commitment to the workouts and diet necessary for the changes. They can, though, clean up their diet and get to the upper teens bodyfat wise without much trouble. Once there then maybe they'll take the necessary steps to get to 15% or less bodyfat. Otherwise, just having some tv watching slug semi-regularly exercising and eating healthier is a really big step for them.

91SundanceRS
02-02-2006, 11:57 PM
Yeah it does.......eating that low below bmr for that long really completely screws your metabolism........its slow and wants to die lol.............but seriously......if i were you......seein your eating below maintence and wanna lose weight.......id slowly eat my way back up to maintence like 200-300 calories a week an stay there for another few weeks to get everything running smoothly again.......then slowly drop back down an i think you'll see better results.......obviously still lifting an doing your cardio during that time........

I use a Microsoft Excel chart track my progress, and I have a Fuel Gauge on there. If my kcal intake drops to below BMR according to it, then it trips off either a CHECK GAGES indicator or a Low Fuel light (a light in a cell below the 'gas pump' logo on my column label). My fat loss chart is based on a vehicle dash cluster and has similar gauges and warnings to a car.

So, myself, I get an advanced warning that my average intake is getting too low before I get into problems.

Perhaps the OP should use some kind of charting system and chart his progress.

Many people get unwary and caught off guard about their Kcal intakes being too low during their fat loss programs.

Stonecoldtruth
02-03-2006, 01:54 AM
I use a Microsoft Excel chart track my progress, and I have a Fuel Gauge on there. If my kcal intake drops to below BMR according to it, then it trips off either a CHECK GAGES indicator or a Low Fuel light (a light in a cell below the 'gas pump' logo on my column label). My fat loss chart is based on a vehicle dash cluster and has similar gauges and warnings to a car.

Ok, how on earth do you set one of these up man?

To the original poster, introduce your brother to HIIT cardio. The lower time commitment might be enough to get him interested. 15 minutes of HIIT cardio would have him realizing how out of shape he is.

J

lucious
02-03-2006, 04:34 AM
He's not losing fat the stupid way.

He's losing muscle the quickest way.

StrongEnough?
02-03-2006, 04:55 AM
Sticky.

Except the cardio part. 1 hour? :|
You're not saying more, are you? I'm not saying 1 hour is a must, I myself only to 40-50 minutes. I just say that because some people think 90 minutes + is the only way to lose weight. Perhaps I should state that. :)

91SundanceRS
02-03-2006, 11:04 PM
Ok, how on earth do you set one of these up man?

To the original poster, introduce your brother to HIIT cardio. The lower time commitment might be enough to get him interested. 15 minutes of HIIT cardio would have him realizing how out of shape he is.

J

They are one of the components of my charts. This indicator is based on the amber low fuel light (gas pump icon) on 90's Chrysler vehicles which come on when your fuel level gets real low. On my chart, I have the 'gas pump' symbol above the column of cells, and an individual cell in that column for a given day lights up in a bright amber color if the rolling average kcal intake for that day is below your BMR.

It gives early warning and prompts you to take action to increase your kcal intake during your sustained fat loss before trouble occurs.

Now, the metabolism indicator light (oil light)... That light is a 'red' color and has the oil teapot symbol above the column of cells for the indicator. When that indicator on the chart comes on, it's done been too late. It comes on when your metabolism has already slowed by ~15%.
You know when the oil light, the teapot, comes on in your car while driving at speed or your oil pressure gauge drops to 'nil'? It tells you that you have "low oil pressure". It's usually too late when this happens and some engine damage has usually occured, and if ignored too long, could lead to engine lockup...

To the original poster....tell your brother to keep doing what he's doing, and he may experience, metaphorically, a similar scenario to the above one.