PDA

View Full Version : Automotive-Based Body Composition Charts

91SundanceRS
02-01-2006, 10:17 PM
For the last 6 weeks, I've been engineering MS Excel body composition charts which take an automotive approach towards fat loss and muscle building.
In the fat loss charts I'm creating, I have been emulating various engine, drivetrain, and transmission components commonly found in different cars of various makes and models.

As I do fixes/add new features on my charts, I'm going to be writing about the updates on my chart within this thread.

The current version of my chart is version 0.8

Here are some of the following components that have been emulated on my body composition chart so far. I will discuss more of them later, but here are some of them now:

*NEW
Cruise Control
=Sets your Calories to a 'fixed' daily target day by day, based on actual weight loss, to maintain a 'set fat loss speed'. Can be turned ON by entering "1" and CANCELed by entering "0". Entering "2" increases the 'Set Speed' incrementally and then hitting "1" again presets that new increased Speed. If you hit "0" and cancel, you can input "-1" and resume the previous speed. Otherwise, if you enter "1" again, you will set a new 'fat loss' Cruise Speed. The speed you select initially is the speed you're losing fat at by the time you turn the Cruise Control on.

*NEW
Throttle Positions
=Shows how much you're pushing yourself. The kcal deficit throttle openings are indicated as: OFF, MIN, 1/4, MID, 3/4, FULL

*NEW
Traffic Light System
=If the light is red and you're in gear, you may not yet go. Basically, it means you are not allowed to accelerate fat loss yet. You must wait until the light turns green before you eat inside your "Calorie Intake Deficit" GEAR RANGE. You can eat at just a little below your baseline level (based on your Baseline Gauge), though, so you can keep your foot off the brake and get a "rolling" forward start.

*NEW
E-Brake (Emergency Brake)
=Engage this to show your exact maintenance level Calories in "P" PARK or "Braking Calorie Range", so you can be sure to eat this amount. Doing this will prevent your weight from "rolling back and forth" when out of gear or in gear when stopped.

Tachometer
=Shows how hard you're spinning your metabolism in RPM's. If you get to the red zone during a dieting phase, ease off on the throttle in order to prevent metabolic slowdowns or muscle loss.

Speedometer
=Shows how fast you're losing weight or body fat in MPH. Watch the speed and make sure you don't go too fast. If you think you're going over the speed limit, apply the brakes by eating a little over maintenance so you can slow down some.

Odometer
=Shows total Calorie deficit accumulated in your entire weight loss program in MILES. If you slip and it causes your weight to creep up at times, your odometer stays the same and never goes backwards. When you lose again, then it goes forward again.

Oil Pressure Gauge
=Also your metabolism gauge. This indicates how well your metabolism is functioning during your cutting phase. If it reads 'nil', your metabolism has slowed 'wayy' down and you should stop until the cause has been found and corrected.

Shift Selector
=Input your regimen shift range, either P R N D 2 1. Your shift input will link via shift linkage to different functions on the chart and effect different body composition operations in various ways depending on your regimen shift selection.

Temperature Gauge
=Shows your body temperature from inputs of your measured temperature w/ thermometer. Can give guidelines of thyroid activity which can tell you roughly if your metabolic rate is getting on the underactive side or not.

Voltage Gauge = Gives idea of energy balance (indicated by a symbol of a box with a "+" and "-" mark inside it). It's it's higher than median, you're likely in excess kcal, if it's lower than median, you're likely in kcal deficiency.

Fuel Gauge
=Shows weekly avg intake of kcal. If that number drops too low (<BMR usually), you should eat up, so you don't risk losing LBM.

Fat Gauge
=Shows your overall trend fat%. If that number is going up too quick week to week, shift your program to "P" PARK or "N" NEUTRAL, put the E-BRAKE on, and find the cause and correct it before continuing with your program.

Traveler Console
=Shows useful data for user such as Distance To Goal (lbs to goal weight) and Current Location (Current Weight [the trend]). Also, the user inputs his beginning data in this section such as start weight, height, birthdate, gender, start date, and destination (goal weight). Additionally, the traveler has other neat fancy gadgets like the program switches, the list of regimen shift selection choices, the head light images, areas for pictures, descriptions of each data entry/output area, symbols, and other pretty stuff.

Rear Lights
=Indicators on the right light up when a switch is on. When the brakes on the fat loss are applied, the symbol goes from dark red to bright red, which simulates a brake light coming on. When the user inputs "R" REVERSE (the muscle-build mode), the other symbol goes from gray to bright white which simulates the white backup reverse lights on a car.

And a lot more...

The engineering of this chart has been really cool and a good learning experience with Excel overall.

beerbaron105
02-01-2006, 10:41 PM
so where can we download this?

91SundanceRS
02-02-2006, 04:28 AM
One of them I got up at

http://www.geocities.com/robby2687/A604_Blank_v0.7.xls

To download, Right Click the link and click Save Target As and save file to desired folder.