PDA

View Full Version : caliper mathematics

TDetroit
01-27-2008, 05:13 PM
i have calipers, but it only has a conversion chart for 1 pt pinch (at the sapralaic)

unfortunately for me, all of my body fat is at the lower abdomen

so does anyone know the math behind 3pt, 5pt and 7pt fat pests?

loz86
01-27-2008, 05:41 PM
dont see the point really, i just go by weight and the mirror

Lynnie
01-28-2008, 07:07 AM
I had a similar question before and this was the response I got... Basically they said calipers are only accurate within 3% +/- and you should go by how you look in the mirror not the number. Hope that is what you were asking...I think you might have been asking a little more specific than that though so not sure

Caliper measures tend to be the working standard when we talk about "what is your bodyfat" - tanita scales and other bioimpedence methods are very dependent on your water content at time of taking it - its not that they aren't accurate, but they measure by a different method so they dont' compare directly w/ the caliper method.

Bod pod / hydrostatic measures are the most accurate to get an absolute measurement but generally the usefulness of getting your bodyfat done is to measure RELATIVE changes, not get hung up on whether or not the absolute number is important or accurate. But the best use of a caliper measure is to do at least 7 pts of skin fold measures (not 3 -- that's just not really enough to give a meaningful measure that takes into account your whole body.) And just to help remove error that is inherent in the method of taking the skin fold (i.e. the calipers slipped, the person doing the measures is new to it, etc.) I suggest taking each of the 7+ measures 3 times, then take the average. If you have the same person doing the measures regularly and their ability to do the measure is fairly consistent, then that gives you some numbers to track relative changes - both in the individual skin folds as well as the overall calculation.

in10city
01-28-2008, 07:12 AM
I had a similar question before and this was the response I got... Basically they said calipers are only accurate within 3% +/- and you should go by how you look in the mirror not the number. Hope that is what you were asking...I think you might have been asking a little more specific than that though so not sure

Caliper measures tend to be the working standard when we talk about "what is your bodyfat" - tanita scales and other bioimpedence methods are very dependent on your water content at time of taking it - its not that they aren't accurate, but they measure by a different method so they dont' compare directly w/ the caliper method.

Bod pod / hydrostatic measures are the most accurate to get an absolute measurement but generally the usefulness of getting your bodyfat done is to measure RELATIVE changes, not get hung up on whether or not the absolute number is important or accurate. But the best use of a caliper measure is to do at least 7 pts of skin fold measures (not 3 -- that's just not really enough to give a meaningful measure that takes into account your whole body.) And just to help remove error that is inherent in the method of taking the skin fold (i.e. the calipers slipped, the person doing the measures is new to it, etc.) I suggest taking each of the 7+ measures 3 times, then take the average. If you have the same person doing the measures regularly and their ability to do the measure is fairly consistent, then that gives you some numbers to track relative changes - both in the individual skin folds as well as the overall calculation.
Actually, he was asking about this -> http://www.linear-software.com/online.html