PDA

View Full Version : Using bodyfat scale to track progress?

gunther44bd
01-29-2006, 08:55 AM
I have one of those Tanita scales and I know they aren't accurate, but do they do a good job of tracking progress? For example, last week I was 188lbs and 17% bodyfat, and then this week I'm 186.6lbs but still 17%bf.

jeff232
01-29-2006, 10:24 AM
I use an omron BF analyzer and it seems to be very consistent with itself. I cant vouch for tanita since i have not tried it. measure your BF% at the same time of the day whenever you measure it. My offical bf measurement is every two weeks but i do peek occasionally. check out epinions.com for reviews for your product, youll find out if other people think your particular analyzer is consistent.

magnumfreak
01-29-2006, 11:25 AM
The results can vary on those scales. I have one of the tanita's. Since they use electrical resistance even something as simple as a change in the callouses on your foot will change the result. The amount of water you drink, electrolytes in your body will also change the results. But I guess as long as your diet and water consumption is fairly consistent you should get a decent result. Just know that a spike or sudden change in any direction may not be an accurate reading. Average it out over a week or so.

91SundanceRS
01-29-2006, 12:34 PM
I think, in my experience, it seems that the fat% reading on the scale 'could' compare somewhat well to hydrostatic methods as long as you take your readings at the same time of the day in the morning after urination, not let your kcal intake fluctuate widely, and also take 7-day moving averages of the readings. NOTE: if you're bodybuilding or very athletic, use ATHLETE mode.

Based on my appearance, the trainers at the gym guess my bodyfat % at about the same percentage as the scale reading. I use NORMAL mode.
The scale gives me 9.0-9.3% and generally doesn't vary by more than few tenths of a percent from morning to morning.

Iron7
01-29-2006, 12:41 PM
One of the scales said I was 12% bf and I dont thinks its true
heres my pic

Braindrop
01-29-2006, 01:11 PM
I use a Tanita to track change of BF, but I measure it several times per day and take a running average. I've had it vary as much as 7% across a day.