PDA

View Full Version : peanut butter

youm0nt
01-29-2006, 07:56 AM
to those that eat peanut butter before bed,what brand and type do you use?do use regular or reduced fat?whats the healthiest brand?

Cbury64
01-29-2006, 08:14 AM
i cant remember the exact brand name but i use the all natural kind (you have to mix it up when you first open it otherwise you have a bunch of peanut oil at the top.) If you have been eating regular skippy or the other brands it might take a week or so to get used to the different taste of the all natural but i think its worth the change. Once I started to eat it I found I liked the taste to the all natural kind better.

Hope that helped a little.

Charuto222
01-29-2006, 08:16 AM
If you're looking for the healthiest brand then skippy and jif are pure garbage. Look for the all natural kind (and no, skippy's "all natural" PB is not "all natural", that is false advertisement on their part).

I just look at the ingredients. If I see anything other than peanuts and salt, I avoid it, plain and simple.

kenchi
01-29-2006, 08:23 AM
do use regular or reduced fat?whats the healthiest brand?

Only natural, freshly-ground PB - PERIOD! Never buy the jarred junk from most super markets!

Adam444
01-29-2006, 08:26 AM
If you're looking for the healthiest brand then skippy and jif are pure garbage. Look for the all natural kind (and no, skippy's "all natural" PB is not "all natural", that is false advertisement on their part).

I just look at the ingredients. If I see anything other than peanuts and salt, I avoid it, plain and simple.

I eat Skippy all natural.
No mess and very cheap.

No sugar as ingredients... so I'm happy. Little cottonseed oil or whatever oil they put in, doesn't bother me... there is almost no difference between all natural vs skippy.

kvh4fan
01-29-2006, 11:12 AM
I recommend Smucker's All Natural Peanut Butter. It's great and you can actually taste peanut pieces in it.

http://www.smuckers.com/fg/pds/default.asp?groupid=2&catid=11

jtb83
01-29-2006, 11:14 AM
If you have a Trader Joe's near you they make great natural peanut butter.

Iron7
01-29-2006, 12:08 PM
whole foods natural pb

TealLitnin
01-29-2006, 01:33 PM
I recommend Smucker's All Natural Peanut Butter. It's great and you can actually taste peanut pieces in it.

I second that....It's almost addicting. I have to hide the jar, just to keep from eating it every day.

GJWrestle878
01-29-2006, 01:34 PM

me 2, it is really goood. they also make a honey all natural PB. ingredients: honey,peanuts,salt. It is alright but I prefer reg all nat. with some of my ground cinnamon thrown in there.

smitsky
01-29-2006, 01:44 PM
Peanut Power Butter

Ingredients:

Roasted Peanuts
Egg Whites
Wheat Germ
Flaxseed
Flax Oil
Honey
Salt

I purchased it for $14.99 at Westerly in NYC (54th St. & 8th Ave.)

Pretty good!

Corzel
01-29-2006, 04:14 PM
the brand i use is called Adams 100% Natural Peanut Butter. it is amazing. ive been eating it since summer and for fun i tasted the skippy peanut butter just to compare and it was sick compared to the natural stuff. tasted like nothing pretty much.

DC II
01-29-2006, 04:36 PM
I have no idea what it is honestly. I got it at the natural foods store here. It's all natural unsalted smooth PB. good shiet

sugarface
01-29-2006, 04:41 PM
Does anyone here pour out the oil and stir some water in? Wonder how much this actually reduces the fat.

mrader59
01-29-2006, 05:14 PM
Smuckers in for teh win. Why would you want to reduce the fat when that's what you eat pb for?

jked4life
01-29-2006, 05:18 PM
Does anyone here pour out the oil and stir some water in? Wonder how much this actually reduces the fat.

I actually want the fat in my peanut butter. The fat is good fat that your body needs. This is one of my main healthy fat sources, so I want that fat in there. Otherwise, I wouldn't have much reason to eat natty peanut butter. I really don't like the taste. The regular Peter Pan tastes a lot better, but nutritionally it sucks.

cody3308
01-29-2006, 07:21 PM
Peanut Power Butter

Ingredients:

Roasted Peanuts
Egg Whites
Wheat Germ
Flaxseed
Flax Oil
Honey
Salt

I purchased it for $14.99 at Westerly in NYC (54th St. & 8th Ave.)

Pretty good!

Just want to warn you that it failed label claims:
http://labelclaimstesting.com/?pageID=21

Giant just came out with Protein Butter Plus.

younggun_101
01-29-2006, 07:23 PM
I use a all organic peanut butter.

such a loser yo
01-29-2006, 08:02 PM

that's a good idea if your primary goal is to deprive yourself of the main reason you bought pb in the first place.

Corzel
01-29-2006, 08:14 PM
mix water in? not only does that sound disgusting....it defeats the purpose....

fish153
01-29-2006, 08:46 PM
okay, so we definitely want to keep the fat, but would there be any benefit to the "reduced fat" version?

it doesn't look to have too much less fat ... just a bit, and so i wonder if it's at all beneficial to get it instead.

ME HUNGRY
01-29-2006, 09:11 PM
okay, so we definitely want to keep the fat, but would there be any benefit to the "reduced fat" version?

it doesn't look to have too much less fat ... just a bit, and so i wonder if it's at all beneficial to get it instead.

A couple of months ago Muscle & Fitness had an article fitting your question.

To get to the bottom line, they said that since not that much fat is reduced, its best to go with the Regular PB because in the Reduced Fat PB they add alot more sodium. So bottom line, stick with the regular.

fish153
01-29-2006, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the response - it definitely makes sense, though I hadn't thought of that increased sodium issue!

All this talk of peanut butter ... ME HUNGRY too!

OhioUstud
01-29-2006, 09:17 PM
A couple of months ago Muscle & Fitness had an article fitting your question.

To get to the bottom line, they said that since not that much fat is reduced, its best to go with the Regular PB because in the Reduced Fat PB they add alot more sodium. So bottom line, stick with the regular.

Actually the larger concern with the Reduced Fat PB is the sugar they add to replace the fat. Seeing how you are eating the PB for the fat in the first place, you do not want to trade the fat for sugar. They add other fillers as well.

ViolatorJF
01-29-2006, 10:38 PM
I'm a big fan of the Smuckers Natural PB (creamy). I actually favor it's taste over the regular JIF I used to eat. There's something about it that somehow makes it taste better to me. I've been eating a few spoonfuls before bed and it's been great. And yeah, like mentioned above, the fats in peanutbutter are not fats that you want to reduce. For the most part, polyunsaturated and monounsaturated are the kinds of fat that make up peanutbutter, and everyone should have their fair share of these daily.

sugarface
01-30-2006, 01:35 AM
that's a good idea if your primary goal is to deprive yourself of the main reason you bought pb in the first place.

Actually, I like PB for the taste. Wouldn't it be optimal though to get some of the fat out and replace it with flax or just take some fish oil pills?

SPAM
01-30-2006, 01:39 AM
what if Jif is closest u can find to natural?

PhoebeusFenix
01-30-2006, 05:28 AM
See if you can find smuckers natural, Ive found that to be the best. I cant seem to find steel cut oats anywhere though...

IHaveStickArms
01-30-2006, 08:44 AM
I use a brand called Krema natural Peanut Butter. It tastes really, really good. I eat it before bed with my nightly dose of Cottage Cheese.

JS

P01Shooter
01-30-2006, 08:50 AM
Actually, I like PB for the taste. Wouldn't it be optimal though to get some of the fat out and replace it with flax or just take some fish oil pills?

Long thread and this guy is the first to bring up the fact peanut butter is all omega 6's (which we already consume enough of). Reps.

jedibus
01-30-2006, 10:30 AM
I bought a 5lb bucket of organic, salt free, natty pb from shopnatural.com. Only ingredient is peanuts. Thing has lasted me forever.

stefonroman
01-30-2006, 10:33 AM
I've really gotten into almond butter with no salt added