PDA

View Full Version : Anyone into Mountain Biking?

Gatorvrx
10-29-2002, 07:51 AM
I love mountain biking. Anyone here into riding, and where do you ride. My three favorite sports:

Mountain Biking
Bodybuilding
Racquetball

LPF
10-29-2002, 02:46 PM
I ride in North Florida. Tallahassee area. Off road and road. It is at odds with lifting so I try to strike a balance. Not to mention I am a Hardgainer so it becomes more difficult to eat enough.

turboman
10-29-2002, 05:31 PM
If I didn't live in the city I would probably mountainbike. But for me it's all about the road bike.

I have always wanted to do a 24 hour mountain bike race.

Adam W
11-01-2002, 08:28 AM
yeah i race Downhill Mountain bikes in the UK. I also like to train ont he road as well as weights.

ApeXDwnhLL
11-04-2002, 10:19 PM
about 3 years ago I used to dirtjump then EVERYONE started dirtjumping so i started skating then skating got famous so now i bodybuild they are all fun sports but i think bodybuilding is the best cuz its the cheapest

Gatorvrx
11-05-2002, 06:07 AM
Yeah your right about BB being the cheapest. I've invested over $4,000.00 in my two mountain bikes.

Joske
11-05-2002, 06:23 AM
damn mountain bike is great.

What bikes do you people ride?

i ride a gary fisher "hoo koo e koo" (blue frame)
Wheels: coda 500 set black
transmission: Deore XT (whole set crancks etc)
brakes: Avid AD1.0L
front suspension: Rock shox JUDY XC

Gatorvrx
11-05-2002, 11:17 AM
99 Trek VRX 300 F/S with Rock Shox Psylo XC (5" of travel), XT/LX drivetrain, Avid mechanical disc brakes, race face handlebar, kore stem, tioga DH tires, etc, etc.

and

2001 GT Avalanche Hardtail w/ Manitou X-vert (4" of travel), LX drivetrain, Avid Arch Rival V-brakes, Sun Rhino Lite Rims, Kore stem and handlebar, etc, etc.

I love mounatin biking......

ApeXDwnhLL
11-08-2002, 01:03 AM
i have a 2000 trek 4500 , its an ok bike,i like it, and a 95 pk ripper with poverty cranks,fsa headset,s&m redneck,snafu knob jobs,atomic triple wall rims with atomic hubs,s&m dirtbike chain,SE landing gear forks,s&m slam special bars,knucklebone grips,snafu pedals,poverty seat and post,and a bruiser fat sprocket.the end

Licketysplit
11-12-2002, 02:47 AM
I like to ride off the beaten trail. It gives me a great workout and I like to see nature.

BigTallJon23
11-12-2002, 08:54 AM
I cycle all over Texas and started racing this past fall. Does anyone know if taking glutamine is good for road cyclist?
bike: Gary Fisher Kaitai (black-yellowframe)

turboman
11-12-2002, 10:41 AM
Unfortunatly cyclist don't like to talk about what they use. Which is why I'm at this board to begin with. :D

I've been using syntrabol and 1,4 ad for a few weeks. And hopefully that will help to soon to know for sure. But yeah information on what will help with cycling is very limited.

One thing that can help is to stay away from sugar on rest days. Save the gatorade and cytomax for race day. This will get you insane amounts of energy. And working on increasing your lactate threshold is one of the best things I can think of. 15 mile rides above lactate acid threshold are awesome although very very painful.

And of course losing body fat always helps. Which is what I need to work on very soon.

---I'm still only cat5 myself. Because I haven't done enough races to move up(they are to early in the morning). But they are very easy for me. I just mess around and do stupid breakaways that have no chance just to screw with people. :D My attitude pisses everyone off and I sometimes get threathened for it. Whatever!!!

BigTallJon23
11-12-2002, 07:18 PM
I am a cat 5 or will be in the spring. It will be my first set of races for the road, but my friends tell me I will be something great b/c of my speed that I am turning out right now. I just need to figure out what can help me out a littl emore than the average cyclist.. I plan to be great!

LPF
11-16-2002, 07:18 AM
Racing is the only way to get faster. You will quickly learn that in road racing the strongest guy isn't always the winner. Mountain bike racing is different. It is more similar to a time trial, although strategy is no less important.

Gatorvrx
11-17-2002, 12:50 PM
LPF

Great trails up there in Tally. Cadillac, Red Bug, and Tom Brown Park. I ride them when I visit the parents in Madison. I usually ride in Ocala at Santos, Hard Rock and Razorback.

ApeXDwnhLL
11-17-2002, 03:25 PM
do any of you travel to go mountain biking?the farthest place i have gone was about an hour from home, but i was wondering if any of u travel to different states or countries to ride

Gatorvrx
11-17-2002, 06:26 PM
I travel up to three hours from the house to ride. I have also traveled to Montana and Vermont for business, and my company shipped my bike for me!

turboman
11-18-2002, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by LPF
Racing is the only way to get faster. You will quickly learn that in road racing the strongest guy isn't always the winner. Mountain bike racing is different. It is more similar to a time trial, although strategy is no less important.

Right road racing requires some sort of strategy to win. Which is also why I enjoy watching it more. Like a chess game on wheels. This years Velta was one of the best races ever. Greg Lemonds first Tour win in 86 also kicked ass.

Of course the politics invloved even at a cat 5 level is silly. People get mad if you hide the whole race and then blast past at the end without at least taking one turn at the front. And when people box you in and you fight for your spot they get real angry. I made alot of enemies the very first time I raced. And unfortunately you start with a bad rep it kinda sticks. :D