PDA

View Full Version : How are these protein bars when cutting?

RiseOfTheTyrant
01-24-2008, 02:37 PM
http://www.powerbar.com/Products/ProteinPlus/

^?
Sometime on the go I will have one of those.. Better than the regular powerbars with only 10g of protein.

Anyway the ingredients in there are okay yeah? (No hydrogenated oils, high fructose corn syrup, etc)

EDIT: I eat the Vanilla Yogurt one which does not have high fructose corn syrup. I noticed the others do.

iranian123
01-24-2008, 02:42 PM
Bad, in that you could easily put a cup of ground oats, a scoop whey/casein in a shaker bottle with some water.

Too much sugar, lower quality protein, pricey (oats+protein is cheap), and other clean foods are more convenient. A great option is to buy a 4 serving milk carton on the go, and drink that.

RiseOfTheTyrant
01-24-2008, 02:46 PM
Bad, in that you could easily put a cup of ground oats, a scoop whey/casein in a shaker bottle with some water.

Too much sugar, lower quality protein, pricey (oats+protein is cheap), and other clean foods are more convenient. A great option is to buy a 4 serving milk carton on the go, and drink that.

I can't drink milk, unfortunately. Messes up my stomach.

I do have Whey protein and oats that I have everyday (I eat lots of other real foods too, chicken/turkey/fruit/veggies) but sometimes I like to throw in a tasty protein bar.

I guess you're right on the high sugar content :(

Lector606
01-24-2008, 02:59 PM
they have a reduced sugar one that's better, but you should just order a box of a better bar if you've got your heart set on bars

you could make your own but some people don't like doing it

check out isoflex bars, they are really good. myoplex carb control are good too but i think they're expensive (i get them cheap because i work at a supplement store)

eddiebo
01-24-2008, 04:26 PM
I agree with everyone else, bad. Main reasons for me are high sugar and the FRACTIONATED PALM KERNEL OIL.

JerG
01-24-2008, 04:53 PM
Bad x1000000

Tussmann57
01-24-2008, 05:04 PM
they're fine, GI is irrelevant during a cutting cycle. The main plus to more complex carbs however is that they will give you a much better sense of sustained energy as apposed to quick dissolving sugars.

But when it comes down to fat loss when you restrict calories you will loose weight reguardless, and if you keep your lifts and protein up it will most likely always come from fat.

eat them in moderation but stick to real food.

oh yeah, edit: the HFCS makes is pretty bad, really try to limit these for when you are in a budge for decent nutrition.

RiseOfTheTyrant
01-24-2008, 05:19 PM
they're fine, GI is irrelevant during a cutting cycle. The main plus to more complex carbs however is that they will give you a much better sense of sustained energy as apposed to quick dissolving sugars.

But when it comes down to fat loss when you restrict calories you will loose weight reguardless, and if you keep your lifts and protein up it will most likely always come from fat.

oh yeah, edit: the HFCS makes is pretty bad, really try to limit these for when you are in a budge for decent nutrition.

Thanks for your input. And for the record, the one I buy is the "Vanilla Yogurt" kind which does not have HFCS on the label. The others seem to. But yeah I only have a few of these a week.

rude boy
01-24-2008, 05:28 PM
go with zero impact bars

Sibrek
01-24-2008, 05:29 PM

lolwut

bookv
01-24-2008, 05:57 PM
i've never been a huge fan of bars, too much added sugar for me. You're much better off having a shake. You can get some pretty tasty shakes like myoplex or syntha 6 for the price you pay for those bars. If you really want a bar though, get the VPX zero impact, as good as it'll get as far as bars go.

Dm84
01-24-2008, 06:00 PM
I agree with everyone else, bad. Main reasons for me are high sugar and the FRACTIONATED PALM KERNEL OIL.Why are you so concerned about fractionated palm kernel oil?

It's just saturated fat. You'd have no problem taking in twice as much sat fat from a piece of steak, would you?

Tussmann57
01-24-2008, 06:01 PM
lolwut

i guess i meant "the HFCS makes it pretty bad"

lol wut about your lol wut

eddiebo
01-24-2008, 08:10 PM
Why are you so concerned about fractionated palm kernel oil?

It's just saturated fat. You'd have no problem taking in twice as much sat fat from a piece of steak, would you?

Correct, frationated palm kernel oil is mostly all saturated fatty acids. If I am not mistaken, the thicker fractionated part of an already thick (palm kernel) oil is not good for the cardiovascular system. And generally just good in my opinion to stay away from processed fats.

Sibrek
01-24-2008, 08:11 PM
i guess i meant "the HFCS makes it pretty bad"

lol wut about your lol wut

i mean, hfcs is no different than regular sugar

eddiebo
01-24-2008, 08:21 PM

Assuming you know the argument relating to HFCS. Basically that HFCS contributes more so to obesity and insulin resistance (compared to regular 50:50 sugar), also recent reports of liver damage amongst other reports as result of HFCS.

Tussmann57
01-24-2008, 08:24 PM

wait, ive been on this site for years and from what i know HFCS doesnt replenish your glycogen, correct?

Sibrek
01-24-2008, 08:25 PM
Assuming you know the argument relating to HFCS? Basically that HFCS contributes more so to obesity and insulin resistance (compared to regular 50:50 sugar), also recent reports of liver damage amongst other reports as result of HFCS.

lol, HFCS is just two sugars mixed together...maybe glucose+fructose? im too lazy to wiki it at the moment. no conclusive research has been done on it

wait, ive been on this site for years and from what i know HFCS doesnt replenish your glycogen, correct?

think about what that even means, then decide if it matters or not

Tussmann57
01-24-2008, 08:40 PM
lol, HFCS is just two sugars mixed together...maybe glucose+fructose? im too lazy to wiki it at the moment. no conclusive research has been done on it

think about what that even means, then decide if it matters or not

i thought teh corn syrup part made it bad? holy ****, ive been into nutrition for years, i just avoided it because most taboo it.

well i guess the same could be said about alcohol (made out to be 10x worse by the people on this site)

eddiebo
01-24-2008, 08:42 PM

Correct, the bottom line basics of the sugars are a different ratio of fructose to sucrose. Though High Fructose Corn Syrup is basically processed corn syrup. Not all of the arguments are limited to the sugar ratio. Can't recall what the exact business was but ran across what I thought was credible evidence on a medical journal last time HFCS came up on a thread here. Enough to keep me away from it anyway.

eddiebo
01-24-2008, 08:54 PM

I would assume any sugar in the blood would do, ableit complex carbs are the ticket.

Good question though, will HFCS or simple sugar put enough glucose into your blood so glycogen will be created by the liver from the amount available in your bloodstream.

Sibrek
01-24-2008, 08:55 PM
lol noone here is glycogen depleted. relax and eat whatever you want with moderation. if the entire country can eat whatever they want without working out, so can we, although we're smart enough to limit it somewhat