PDA

View Full Version : My 15 Biggest Fitness Mistakes of 2007

FOODzilla
01-19-2008, 08:23 PM
Check this link for all my mistakes:

My 15 Biggest Fitness Mistakes of 2007 (http://musclecircuit.com/my-15-biggest-fitness-mistakes-of-2007/)

Here is my mini list though

15. Thinking chiptole was a good idea to bulk up on (retarded)
7. Expecting too much in too little time.
5. Looking in the mirror everyday expecting to look better every time
2. Balancing my diet with my life (very hard to do)

Senor Awesome
01-19-2008, 08:32 PM

My 15 Biggest Fitness Mistakes of 2007 (http://musclecircuit.com/my-15-biggest-fitness-mistakes-of-2007/)

I disagree with most of those.

FOODzilla
01-19-2008, 08:34 PM
cool... how so? :)

Cell-Tech Daddy
01-19-2008, 08:57 PM
cool... how so? :)

Most of them are alright however....

#1 Mistake: Not getting help

This was the biggest mistake of mine. I love reading and researching and I got think headed thinking I can learn it all from my own research. That, coupled with the fact that most trainers at (a lot of) public gyms don?t have enough experience with bodybuilding made me decide that I can do it solo.

Not in 2008 I won?t be. I have found a personal trainer who has over 15 years of experience in bodybuilding and has trained pro bodybuilders, and I plan on picking her brain.

I disagree with this. If you are doing your own research and its working for you, you dont necessarily have to doubt it. Do you know how easy it is for people to become certified personal trainers, with no idea bot nutrition etc?

Not everyone has access to experienced BB's to help them out. These forums and bb.com articles are great.

FOODzilla
01-19-2008, 09:02 PM
Most of them are alright however....

#1 Mistake: Not getting help

This was the biggest mistake of mine. I love reading and researching and I got think headed thinking I can learn it all from my own research. That, coupled with the fact that most trainers at (a lot of) public gyms don?t have enough experience with bodybuilding made me decide that I can do it solo.

Not in 2008 I won?t be. I have found a personal trainer who has over 15 years of experience in bodybuilding and has trained pro bodybuilders, and I plan on picking her brain.

I disagree with this. If you are doing your own research and its working for you, you dont necessarily have to doubt it. Do you know how easy it is for people to become certified personal trainers, with no idea bot nutrition etc?

Not everyone has access to experienced BB's to help them out. These forums and bb.com articles are great.

I know how easy it is for someone to become a personal trainer. But this personal trainer has *15* years experience in bodybuilding. that's not easy to get. Plus she competed in the early 90s in competitions and she's trained pro bodybuilders in the past.

AND I plan on picking her brains, which means I never stop learning. I just outsource some of the major decisions :) for cheap too!!! 30$ an hour she charges for consultation

BigBen85
01-19-2008, 09:19 PM
I am convinced I would have an extra 5lbs of muscle at least if I had eaten clean and didnt go out and drink/party just about every night.

wildtacos
01-19-2008, 09:24 PM
fact is 90% of the articles read are at one persons perspective and to accept other peoples opinions is a great thing even more so people with experience and talk with personal experience. You learn much better being open minded.. not ot be confused with gullible

FOODzilla
01-19-2008, 09:26 PM
fact is 90% of the articles read are at one persons perspective and to accept other peoples opinions is a great thing even more so people with experience and talk with personal experience. You learn much better being open minded.. not ot be confused with gullible

words to live by. that mentality you can apply to nearly all aspects of your life, especially bb.

I'd rep that comment if I had any

Tussmann57
01-19-2008, 11:16 PM
Biggest mistake- thinking i could gain more than 2-3 lbs of muscle in a month while bulking, i gained tonnns of fat.

2nd biggest mistake - Thinking eating a giant bag of sunchips in 2 days was good for my bulk because it had fats and good carbs.

Pit Bull Guy
01-20-2008, 12:07 AM

I eat mad chipotle :(

And i agree that listening to other people is very valuable. Including, and maybe even ESPECIALLY, when you decide they are wrong. Besides even through doing your own research, a lot of what you're reading is still based on the opinions/philosophies of the person who wrote w/e article or book you're reading.

I take in as much info, advice, and opinion as possible, and consider it up to me to intelligently decide what i think is most valuable and credible.

just my $.02

Dom_88
01-20-2008, 02:50 AM
I eat mad chipotle :(

And i agree that listening to other people is very valuable. Including, and maybe even ESPECIALLY, when you decide they are wrong. Besides even through doing your own research, a lot of what you're reading is still based on the opinions/philosophies of the person who wrote w/e article or book you're reading.

I take in as much info, advice, and opinion as possible, and consider it up to me to intelligently decide what i think is most valuable and credible.

just my $.02

So true. I can't remember the exact quote but it goes something "it is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" and I think it applies in this case. Just read a lot of things and take them with a grain of salt.

FOODzilla
01-20-2008, 08:28 AM
So true. I can't remember the exact quote but it goes something "it is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" and I think it applies in this case. Just read a lot of things and take them with a grain of salt.

Agreed. Especially on the forums, lots of contradicting information (morning cardio ring a bell????).

It doesn't mean you shouldn't listen, it means you should intelligently interpret everything you read and hear.

benjiboy814
01-20-2008, 01:57 PM
2. Balancing my diet with my life

No matter what you look like in the end its about the relationships you build, friends you make, and memories you retain. Don't loose sight of this.

oaks
01-20-2008, 03:03 PM

No matter what you look like in the end its about the relationships you build, friends you make, and memories you retain. Don't loose sight of this.

good call man...a while back i was in a mindset that let my food/meal schedule pretty much run my life..i often avoided social events cause i would miss my "3hr window" feeding time...as a result i went into a depressed state and this was probably hurting my gains more than missing the so called 3hr window or whatever.

It was a tough thing to overcome, but eventually i realized that this wasnt really all worth it to me...sure i wanna look good, and i love working out and making solid gains cause it makes me feel good. But its not worth it to give up your social life in order to achieve these goals..i never have/probably never will compete, and so i just realized that i needed to start relaxing and having fun again too...you really gotta balance these things out, IMO, its not worth it if your sittin at home on a saturday nite so you can eat your cottage cheese before bed, when all your friends are gone out to a movie or to watch the game or whatever....dont let food run your life, i can tell you from personal experience that its not fun.

wildtacos
01-20-2008, 03:13 PM
mine is depriving legs of sufficiant weight lifting time

FOODzilla
01-20-2008, 03:24 PM

I do agree with this. But my main motivator to keep lifting isn't to look good (it's certainly one of them)... I think it's because I truly like the process.

Something feels amazing after a grueling 3rd set of squats or lateral raises, and after I eat my fourth meal of the day (chix and yams!). I just feel good about working HARD towards a tough goal I think.

But relationships and our friends ultimately make our lives truly amazing. I struggle connecting the two - but I'm working at it.

benjiboy814
01-20-2008, 04:51 PM
Keep at it. I do too love the feeling of making gains and treating my body right. It is all a balance, just like in "real life". But please stay as far away from depression as possible. I've been down that road, seriously, and will never trek there again.

FOODzilla
01-21-2008, 10:05 AM
Keep at it. I do too love the feeling of making gains and treating my body right. It is all a balance, just like in "real life". But please stay as far away from depression as possible. I've been down that road, seriously, and will never trek there again.

balance is so key...

Belloc
01-21-2008, 10:43 AM
training 2 much for 2 long

diet was not always good

FOODzilla
01-21-2008, 02:20 PM
training 2 much for 2 long

diet was not always good

I actually had a conversation with my personal trainer (she has 15 years of bb experience and is a bb judge but not for IFBB) about training intensity.

I asked how good is it train to failure EVERY time you work out and she mentioned a whole bunch of interesting stuff. But basically it is good for increasing muscle mass to train hard and to failure, but it can be taxing on the CNS and you increase your chances of injury greatly.

Just listen to your body and be careful is the moral of the story :)