PDA

View Full Version : Help Please Cardio before Lifting

alex82288
01-09-2006, 11:53 AM
I really need a good explanation on this topic and I did the search button and I found a alot of confllicting reports, how much will my gains be affected if I jogged 3 miles before my workout or would doing those 3 be better done after workout. I will run 6 days a week and lift for 3 of them. I am 5'9 155lbs and eating like crazy so I dont expect muscle loss either way.

ThatDamnGood121
01-09-2006, 02:04 PM
I really need a good explanation on this topic and I did the search button and I found a alot of confllicting reports, how much will my gains be affected if I jogged 3 miles before my workout or would doing those 3 be better done after workout. I will run 6 days a week and lift for 3 of them. I am 5'9 155lbs and eating like crazy so I dont expect muscle loss either way.

you would start your workouts more fatigued, i used to do that year ago

now i just do a 1 hr workout with weights
then do maybe 15-45 min cardio (depends on day)

i like to start my workouts FULL of energy
i think its the best way to go

hailfire777
01-09-2006, 02:08 PM
i tend to feel better AFTER i do cardio when i work out, as opposed to after.. i feel especially lazy if i dont do cardio first, but thats just me. generally people prefer to do it after.

NorBerg
01-09-2006, 02:17 PM
Do it after lifting! DO IT, DO IT!

alex82288
01-09-2006, 09:53 PM
Any effects on gains?

metswi6986
01-10-2006, 09:39 AM
It is said you should do cardio after lifting. Ive been in a habit to do my run, then lift. I guess my body got use to it, but I lifted less when I reversed it. You can do cardio for a few minutes as a warm up, then lift, then cardio again when your done. It helps flush out your body when you do it after too~

RipStone
01-10-2006, 10:33 AM
If you must do cardio and lifting in the same time period, then defintley opt for cardio after lifting. The reason why is simple IMO. Think about what is more important as far as reaching your goals....being able to put more intensity into lifting or more intensity into cardio? I dunno about you, but I certainly rather have more energy to lift so I can lift heavier, thus build more muscle/strength.

In sum, if you do cardio before lifting you wont have enough energy to be lift with intensity.

hailfire777
01-10-2006, 10:56 AM
20 minutes max if you do it before lifting, that way you dont go into catabolis...

bodybuilder45
01-10-2006, 11:08 AM
ill throw in my 2 cents cause im experimenting with this right now. i always aim to separate cardio and weights at least a couple hours apart but when i dont have the time, i find i enjoy to split it up. ill do a higher intensity cardio session to start for about 10 minutes then hit the weights. i feel more energized after a run so this has not affected the weights i press in the gym. during my workout, i sip on my PWO shake consisting of whey, banana, carnation instant breakfast, and cream of buckwheat (about 40g protein, 85g carbs). ill finish most of the shake in the 1-1.5 hours of weight training then hop on the treadmill afterwards for a 10-15 minute cool down of moderate intensity. i then drink whatever i have left over and eat a whole food meal shortly after. i like running before because it gets the heart and blood flowing. i also get sweaty and this is a mental thing for me, but i work out harder once ive already worked up a sweat. i would recommend this to anyone who gets that high after a run like i do.

Mercurix
01-10-2006, 12:04 PM
It's been my experience that doing cardio after the workout gives you more energy for your lifts and the post-lift cardio helps you stretch out a bit and might help reduce the soreness the next day.