PDA

View Full Version : Lean Meat in the Day - Dont have time to cook?

krisshaw
01-16-2008, 10:43 AM
Im a very busy guy with work and i dont have the time to actually cook anything between 9am-5pm so i usually rely on cooking the night before and eating the food cold during the day.

Can anyone advice me on some good meals that i can have for lunch (not snacks) that can give me some good lean meat protein and be tasty (and safe to eat) when cold at the same time?

Ive never been very good with cooking or ideas haha

Thanks

Wat_Ward
01-16-2008, 10:46 AM
You could buy turkey or chicken breast from a deli (make sure it's lean) or just from a grocery store, add some sweet potato or veggies or something with some peanut butter and just take that to work with you in tupperware...

Tiffany_P
01-16-2008, 10:48 AM
Do you have access to a refridgerator and microwave? I bring all my meals with me in tupperware and microwave them as I need them. I have recently discovered that fish tastes excellent cold, and just about everyone could use more fish in their diet.

Dm84
01-16-2008, 11:21 AM
Steak is safe to eat cold. If you slice it thin and put it on a salad it tastes pretty good that way.

LatinaLoca
01-16-2008, 03:09 PM
Do you have access to a refridgerator and microwave? I bring all my meals with me in tupperware and microwave them as I need them. I have recently discovered that fish tastes excellent cold, and just about everyone could use more fish in their diet.

Ohhh that brings to mind cold smoked salmon yummmmmmmy!!! I LOVE cold smoked salmon...been a long time since I've had any but it sure sounds like a yummy dinner.

Honestly I think deli meats are a bad bad bad BAD idea! Loaded with salt and sat. fat and other junk your body doesn't need. If you like turkey, try baking a turkey breast at home and carving it up for sandwhichs. Or, if you don't feel like having to tend to an oven when you get home perhaps a slow cooker is an idea to try:). A great way to make healthy meals with less fuss. Buy a frozen turkey roast, one can of reduced sodium chicken broth, two celery stalks, one onion, one 1/2 lb. bag of baby carrots and cook on low heat for 10-12hrs or until the center hits 185. When it's all done the turkey tastes great but the carrots and other stuff tastes like crap lol. It makes for great samichs' though lol.

Good luck! Hope that helps:)

enduran
01-16-2008, 03:25 PM
I buy turkey ham, extremely lean, for 1.19 a pound at Wal-mart. There are some preservatives, salts, etc that could be better, but it works great in a pinch. Jerky is good as well. Of course, if you have access to a microwave your options go up a lot. I eat a lot of microwaved scrambled eggs - they're incredible.

Wat_Ward
01-16-2008, 03:27 PM
I buy turkey ham, extremely lean, for 1.19 a pound at Wal-mart. There are some preservatives, salts, etc that could be better, but it works great in a pinch. Jerky is good as well. Of course, if you have access to a microwave your options go up a lot. I eat a lot of microwaved scrambled eggs - they're incredible.

WHOA - you can get 900 grams of turkey for $1.19?!

Patrok
01-16-2008, 03:36 PM
but a couple kgs of beef jerkys man and GO WILD

steelheart1961
01-16-2008, 03:46 PM
Im a very busy guy with work and i dont have the time to actually cook anything between 9am-5pm so i usually rely on cooking the night before and eating the food cold during the day.

Can anyone advice me on some good meals that i can have for lunch (not snacks) that can give me some good lean meat protein and be tasty (and safe to eat) when cold at the same time?

Ive never been very good with cooking or ideas haha

Thanks

I just had a chicken breast, diced and lightly pan fried in a nonstick pan sprayed with non-stick spray (a few minutes on one side,then flipped and a few minutes on the other) and 2 cups of steamed broccoli. I drizzled a tablespoon of olive oil over it and ate it. You can make it ahead of time
and put it in one of those plastic containers with a lid for travel.
In fact I ate mine out of one of those containers (sans lid).

TheoAKAJShoota
01-16-2008, 03:59 PM
Just eat some canned tuna. Get the low sodium kind too.

steelheart1961
01-16-2008, 04:03 PM
Just eat some canned tuna. Get the low sodium kind too.

Canned tuna is great mixed with rice...if you eat rice, that is.

Dm84
01-16-2008, 04:34 PM
WHOA - you can get 900 grams of turkey for $1.19?!No. He can get 454 grams of turkey for $1.19.

Hellcraft
01-16-2008, 05:20 PM
Cook chicken breast the night before. Tastes good cold imo.