PDA

View Full Version : Exercises that may be unsafe

evankyle
01-16-2008, 06:38 AM
After getting injured a year ago due to being very inflexible and probably going to heavy I have elinated certain exercises. I have maintained my muscle size but I have cut back on the weight. Before I benched 250 for 5 reps but now I stay at 215 for 5 reps. It is not worth going too heavy and risking injury.

Exercises I no longer do are leg press, free weight squats, behind the neck shoulder press, behind the back lat pulldowns, and machine dumbell flys. My workouts are now a little less intense.

Olie
01-16-2008, 06:50 AM
Ummmm, OK.

evankyle
01-16-2008, 06:54 AM
Ummmm, OK.

Just wondering if others have cut back on certain exercises and weight and have found no impact on conditioning. At a certain point most of use cannot train like we did when we were in our 20s.

ArchAngel'73
After getting injured a year ago due to being very inflexible and probably going to heavy I have elinated certain exercises. I have maintained my muscle size but I have cut back on the weight. Before I benched 250 for 5 reps but now I stay at 215 for 5 reps. It is not worth going too heavy and risking injury.

Exercises I no longer do are leg press, free weight squats, behind the neck shoulder press, behind the back lat pulldowns, and machine dumbell flys. My workouts are now a little less intense.

1st of all, looking at your age, do you have the right forum section?

Second, I'll concur with anything behind the neck being somewhat unsafe due to rotator cuff issues. But, squats, leg pressing, and machine flyes are safe for many to perform.
I hope your injuries heal soon so that you can benfit from these exercises as well. Good luck.:)

chodan9
hmm
to each his own I suppose.
I have a bit of age on you but I do squats and leg press
I havent done the behind the neck/back stuff because it doesnt really look as effective as its front counterpart. I do them very carefully though with safety equipment like lifting belt, plus I started light and worked my way up.
I always do a light warm up set or 2 after a few minutes of warmup cardio/streching too

blkbelt42
http://www.localcatering.com/caterer/fitnessunlimited/pictures/Bowflex%20Ultimate%202.jpg

ArchAngel'73
01-16-2008, 06:56 AM
Just wondering if others have cut back on certain exercises and weight and have found no impact on conditioning. At a certain point most of use cannot train like we did when we were in our 20s.

I cut back, and it did affect my conditioning and size. Eliminating squats and leg pressing doesn't leave you with much to work with for legs.;) No way in hell you'll get as good development from leg extensions/ham work.

blkbelt42
01-16-2008, 06:58 AM

huh?????

You ARE in your 20's LOLZ!!

:D

evankyle
01-16-2008, 06:58 AM

Second, I'll concur with anything behind the neck being somewhat unsafe due to rotator cuff issues. But, squats, leg pressing, and machine flyes are safe for many to perform.
I hope your injuries heal soon so that you can benfit from these exercises as well. Good luck.:)

I am 36 so yes.

Leg press can cause strain on the back for some. Maybe this is only for those with preexisting injuries. Squats are a great exercise. After getting injured I have found other exercises to do that while not as effective as squats are more comfortable for what I am trying to achieve. Getting huge is not a priority.

blkbelt42
01-16-2008, 07:00 AM
I am 36 so yes.

Leg press can cause strain on the back for some. Maybe this is only for those with preexisting injuries. Squats are a great exercise. After getting injured I have found other exercises to do that while not as effective as squats are more comfortable for what I am trying to achieve. Getting huge is not a priority.

might want to change your profile
then, why would you want everyone thinking
you're 10 years yonger????? :rolleyes:

evankyle
01-16-2008, 07:00 AM
No way in hell you'll get as good development from leg extensions/ham work.

Agree. With the decreased leg exercises I have spent more time doing cardio which while the legs are certainly a little smaller.

evankyle
01-16-2008, 07:02 AM
might want to change your profile
then, why would you want everyone thinking
you're 10 years yonger????? :rolleyes:

Thanks. I just did.

ArchAngel'73
01-16-2008, 07:03 AM
I am 36 so yes.

What do you do for quads then?
edit- You answered that, sorry.

blkbelt42
01-16-2008, 07:03 AM
Thanks. I just did.

nice edit. :D

any reason you were passin yourself
off as 26 here for almost 10 months?

ntrllftr
01-16-2008, 07:04 AM

I would have to say it's time for a new hobby then.
Without some of those excersises there is NO bodybuilding going on.
My .02

blkbelt42
01-16-2008, 07:04 AM
I would have to say it's time for a new hobby then.
Without some of those excersises there is NO bodybuilding going on.
My .02

I agree. More "bodysculpting" than anything if
you're no going heavy.......

Luke Whippo
01-16-2008, 07:05 AM

there are some out there who care for the info the more advanced in age have!!!!

it seems with myself as I age the more dangerous exercises I do, however as I age the more caution I use, it's not about training as intense as your 20's, in reality it should be the other way around, only done safer (in a safer mentality), working on your flexibility is a start to the O.P.

blkbelt42
01-16-2008, 07:08 AM
there are some out there who care for the info the more advanced in age have!!!!

yoda???

evankyle
01-16-2008, 07:10 AM
yes I do flexibility exercises daily.

I go up to 215 for bench, 225 on some days if I have a spotter. 215 for 5 reps with good form and no spot for bench. You call that bodysculpting.

I do all bodyparts. If you call this bodysculpting then that is your right. I call it training smarter.

ntrllftr
01-16-2008, 07:16 AM

I go up to 215 for bench, 225 on some days if I have a spotter. 215 for 5 reps with good form and no spot for bench. You call that bodysculpting.

I do all bodyparts. If you call this bodysculpting then that is your right. I call it training smarter.

I say yes since you were doing 250 now 215 for reps.
Bodybuilding goes along with lifting more weights not going backwards.

blkbelt42
01-16-2008, 07:17 AM

I think most on a BB'ing site would call,
leaving out mass-building compound exercises and
not going heavy with the iron, sculpting, unless you're
already huge and you're maintaining...

Either way, it's your choice how you choose to train and
what you want out of it.

bodyhard
01-16-2008, 07:20 AM

If anything I would recommend just going lighter but not giving up the exercise all together.

Me? I will continue to lift heavy till my body breaks down and my bones are scatter all over the floor, but hey that is just me, to each his own :D

evankyle
01-16-2008, 07:21 AM
I say yes since you were doing 250 now 215 for reps.
Bodybuilding goes along with lifting more weights not going backwards.

Seems like you are so concerned about weight. Whatever works for you. Does the guy who lifts the most weight have the best conditioning. Is he the biggest. I am more concerned with the physical appearance of the muscles than the amount of weight.

blkbelt42
01-16-2008, 07:23 AM
If anything I would recommend just going lighter but not giving up the exercise all together.

Me? I will continue to lift heavy till my body breaks down and my bones are scatter all over the floor, but hey that is just me, to each his own :D

x2 man, how YOU doing?

Seems like you are so concerned about weight. Whatever works for you. Does the guy who lifts the most weight have the best conditioning. Is he the biggest. I am more concerned with the physical appearance of the muscles than the amount of weight.

How dare he be concerned about the amount of weight
on a BB'ing forum!!!! :D:D

the amount you weight you speak of is
what MAKES the appearance of the muscles..:rolleyes:

ntrllftr
01-16-2008, 07:24 AM
Gaining muscle and conditioning are two different things period.

Good luck with your goals!

bodyhard
01-16-2008, 07:26 AM
x2 man, how YOU doing?

what MAKES the appearance of the muscles..:rolleyes:

I am doing good man, just finished a rehab session at the center, was using some machines :( I hate Fking machines but with my injuries is all I can do for now :)

evankyle
01-16-2008, 07:26 AM
I think most on a BB'ing site would call,
leaving out mass-building compound exercises and
not going heavy with the iron, sculpting, unless you're
already huge and you're maintaining...

Either way, it's your choice how you choose to train and
what you want out of it.

You are right. It is a compromise and disappointing not to be able to squat like I did before. So far I am doing a good job at maintaining but I am not huge. For me after being injured and a period of rehabilitation I am trying to do as much as I can without getting hurt again. Is this ideal. No but for now it is working for me.

blkbelt42
01-16-2008, 07:28 AM
I am doing good man, just finished a rehab session at the center, was using some machines :( I hate Fking machines but with my injuries is all I can do for now :)

glad to hear it man:)

gotta do what you gotta do.....

bodyhard
01-16-2008, 07:29 AM
You are right. It is a compromise and disappointing not to be able to squat like I did before. So far I am doing a good job at maintaining but I am not huge. For me after being injured and a period of rehabilitation I am trying to do as much as I can without getting hurt again. Is this ideal. No but for now it is working for me.

I understand where you are coming from, but once you can lift again with no problem I don't see why you wont or wouldn't want to.

I know all too well what it is like to suffer from injuries although my injuries were not in the gym.

evankyle
01-16-2008, 07:30 AM
[QUOTE=KENKONG;117785951

what MAKES the appearance of the muscles..:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Agree weight is important. But is not everything. Maybe if my form is a lot better at 215 then I could be doing more than straining at 250. If 250 was pushing it for me I would rather just go lighter and keep going then struggle to make it back to 250 and risk getting hurt again.

blkbelt42
01-16-2008, 07:32 AM
Agree weight is important. But is not everything.

for bodybuilding and creating mass - Yes, it is everything.

phikappa
01-16-2008, 07:46 AM
I don't do any behind the neck exercises and haven't for probably 10 years. I don't miss them at all.

spec24
01-16-2008, 10:12 AM
for bodybuilding and creating mass - Yes, it is everything.

maybe you want to go look for the powerligting/weight lifting forum because you seem to have confused those with bodybuilding. No doubt bodybuilders, by default, lift heavier weight than your average Joe but that is not the goal of a bodybuilder. That's why bodybuilders tend to suck at strong man competitions (not all, but most - and especially today) and the strongest men in the world are not bodybuilders. Muscle hypertrophy is the goal of a bodybuilder and more weight does not necessarily equate to larger muscles, OR more definition.

blkbelt42
01-16-2008, 10:16 AM
thats true, the pros and everyother bb'er got
their mass from - low weight / high reps. :rolleyes:

creating mass and building bigger muscle is NOT
the goals of a bodybuilder?????? kthx.

ntrllftr
01-16-2008, 10:21 AM
thats true, the pros and everyother bb'er got
their mass from - low weight / high reps. :rolleyes:

Duh! LOL

Anyway, it is really cold outside...

I think I'll put on a sweatshirt.

blkbelt42
01-16-2008, 10:27 AM
Duh! LOL

Anyway, it is really cold outside...

I think I'll put on a sweatshirt.

haha, wtf, do people really believe that
high rep/low weight buulds mass and that
bb'rs are weak????? :eek:

Mark1T
01-16-2008, 10:30 AM
This is bodybuilding.com site. Not iamapussysoidonotfeellikeliftingweights.com

;)

blkbelt42
01-16-2008, 10:31 AM

;)

!!! LMAO !!!

JUSA
01-16-2008, 10:32 AM
Free weight squats? As opposed to smith machine ones?

Dude, where are you getting your information? Free weight squats... done right... are good for you. Smith machine = Satan

Agree. With the decreased leg exercises I have spent more time doing cardio which while the legs are certainly a little smaller.
Are you suggesting cardio is somehow training legs?

Bro, get out of here - hit the other forums and fill that head of yours with some knowledge.

blkbelt42
01-16-2008, 10:44 AM
Free weight squats? As opposed to smith machine ones?

Dude, where are you getting your information? Free weight squats... done right... are good for you. Smith machine = Satan

Are you suggesting cardio is somehow training legs?

Bro, get out of here - hit the other forums and fill that head of yours with some knowledge.

u mean cardio isn't the same as Sqautin! :eek:

Maybe it came from the same guy that said
heavy weight isn't needed to build mass.

**waits for mass-fairy to come and take the proteinz I left
under ma pillow and leave me some swole!!** :D

Capt. America
01-16-2008, 10:52 AM
After a new ACL in one knee, no ACL in the other, 2 herniated disc's in the lower back and RC surgery 2 years ago.....I don't bench, do uprite rows, behind necks or conventional deadlifts. Oddly enough I can do ATG squats, rack pulls for deads and militarys in place of behind necks. I hope to do full deads in a few months after my lower back streangth has improved.

evankyle
01-16-2008, 10:57 AM
After a new ACL in one knee, no ACL in the other, 2 herniated disc's in the lower back and RC surgery 2 years ago.....I don't bench, do uprite rows, behind necks or conventional deadlifts. Oddly enough I can do ATG squats, rack pulls for deads and militarys in place of behind necks. I hope to do full deads in a few months after my lower back streangth has improved.

This is what I am talking about. At times some people may need to make adjustments.

raffim
01-16-2008, 11:09 AM
This is what I am talking about. At times some people may need to make adjustments.

And those adjustments come with a sacrifice.... if you decide not to "challenge" your muscles with the heaviest weight you can lift, then you will not gain the mass BBers are looking for. So lowering the weight to not risk injury, whatever the reasons are for doing so, means you will not gain he mass you want. All this assuming that increasing mass is your goal..... if not, then you are in the wrong forum.

Also, what creates injury (assuming you do not have some preexisting problems) is bad form... simple as that. If the weight is too heavy for you and you still try to lift WITH PROPER FORM, that should result in you not being able to do the lift, not injury. You want to prevent injury, clean up your form. Otherwise, move on to the iamapussysoidonotfeellikeliftingweights.com forum as already suggested.

GreenWave1
01-16-2008, 11:42 AM
If you are hitting your goals, then you are doing what's right for you. I agree with Bodyhard in that, if you have rehabbed the injury, maybe try doing the movement again, with lower weight. This will give you the opportunity to get the form down and eventually go up in weight.

Free weight squats are a great movement. It would be a shame if you couldn't benefit from them. The behind the back stuff you are probably better off without.

Inthegrass
01-16-2008, 11:52 AM
When I first read the title of this post I thought you meant stuff like this. lol

Oh and ya my ears are fine but that's not what's keeping me up there. So says the skinny guy!! lol

Luke Whippo
01-16-2008, 12:02 PM
Also, what creates injury (assuming you do not have some preexisting problems) is bad form... simple as that. If the weight is too heavy for you and you still try to lift WITH PROPER FORM, that should result in you not being able to do the lift, not injury. You want to prevent injury, clean up your form.

good point, and I had patience on my mind as well besides just working on flexibility, it takes time, 215 is really not far from 250 and since you've done 250 before.

inthegrass: you are in for it posting that pic.,(smile) how bout some squats on that ball?

rudai123
01-16-2008, 02:21 PM
I stopped:
Bench Press
Military Press
Chest Flies
Upright Rows
Farmers Walk

All put too much pressure on my shoulders. If your shoulders can take it, sweet, keep doing these excercises.
But as we get older, we get smarter...

bodyhard
01-16-2008, 02:24 PM

;)

ROTFLMFAO :D :D :D

bodyhard
01-16-2008, 02:25 PM
I stopped:
Bench Press
Military Press
Chest Flies
Upright Rows
Farmers Walk

All put too much pressure on my shoulders. If your shoulders can take it, sweet, keep doing these excercises.

Dammnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

blkbelt42
01-16-2008, 02:25 PM
I stopped:
Bench Press
Military Press
Chest Flies
Upright Rows
Farmers Walk

lol wuuuuuuut!!?!?!

might as well get rid of those pesky
deadlifts & squats while you're at it. :eek:

IR45N
01-16-2008, 02:31 PM
Just because you have a fender bender doesn't mean you throw the car away. Pushing past your limit in some safe way is different from 'too heavy' imho.

raffim
01-16-2008, 02:42 PM
I stopped:
Bench Press
Military Press
Chest Flies
Upright Rows
Farmers Walk

where's the "pride" (per you sig) in that... pride is dealing with adversities not giving in to them...

rudai123
01-16-2008, 04:22 PM
nice points...I'll try and man up...but injuries need to be babied...

Luke Whippo
01-17-2008, 06:37 AM
heres a little secret, most bodybuilders (and powerlifters) who train overhead stuff usually don't do them correctly (now this may have changed over the last 5years) but before then I saw it all the time, the thing was most of these fellas were big on perfect form ect., however they didn't even pick-up what they were doing was wrong.

some changes in tech. work wonders, look to the olyimpic lifters!!!