PDA

View Full Version : bad headaches

swordfish7
01-04-2006, 05:09 PM
this isn't exactly a nutrition question but i wasn't sure where else to ask it and it might have something to do with my eating patterns. anyway:

today i went into the gym and on my last set of the first exercise i was pushing really hard (as always) and i got a really bad headache that intensified when i started the next exercise so i just quit for the day. This happened to me before in highschool on the pullup fitness test. On the last pullup it felt like something happened inside my had and all of a sudden i had the worst headache of my life. This continued whenever i exerted my self beyond a slow jog for several weeks.

Has anyone else ever had this problem? I thought maybe it was because it was the first time i lifted for several weeks after christmas break. I didn't supplement anything the whole time so maybe i screwed something up, I really don't know what's going on. Do i just need more sleep and an ibuprophen?

thanks,
swordfish

Melkor
01-04-2006, 05:33 PM
Go see a doctor. Right now.

r0dxx
01-04-2006, 06:16 PM
The same thing just happened to me this week when doing legs. All you basically did is you weren't breathing and you were straining too hard and you popped/strained a blood vessel. The reason you feel it on all exercises is due to the pressure building up. You will probally get the same sensation if you bend down all the way to ground for about 3 sec...

This has happened to me before, and it definitely sucks...Every workout is torture, but usually resides in a few weeks. The first time it happeend i was flexing like crazy for like 15 sec straiight and got a pounding headache and it lasted for about 2 weeks after.

Dr Triceps
01-04-2006, 06:18 PM
Neuralgia. trigiminal or occipital. Look into it online ASAP.....I'll bet the world it's neuralgia....

r0dxx
01-04-2006, 06:28 PM
Neuralgia. trigiminal or occipital. Look into it online ASAP.....I'll bet the world it's neuralgia....

WOW I've been searching and that almost seems exactly what it is.
I went to my chiropracter for my normal back fix since I had a little back problem from working out, and I just realized he asked me if i can feel it when i cough. I said no...but i just realized I do...Why would he ask that? Imma call him tommorow and see what the deal is.

Dr Triceps
01-04-2006, 06:38 PM
WOW I've been searching and that almost seems exactly what it is.
I went to my chiropracter for my normal back fix since I had a little back problem from working out, and I just realized he asked me if i can feel it when i cough. I said no...but i just realized I do...Why would he ask that? Imma call him tommorow and see what the deal is.

Most Doctors mistake Neuralgia with Migraines. The Doc may think you had a hernia. If your condition is bad, like mine, you'll get injections in the nerve to deaden it. Sometimes the condition goes away , sometimes not. I have severe Occipital Neuralgia and I've had it for years...sucks.

r0dxx
01-04-2006, 06:49 PM
Most Doctors mistake Neuralgia with Migraines. The Doc may think you had a hernia. If your condition is bad, like mine, you'll get injections in the nerve to deaden it. Sometimes the condition goes away , sometimes not. I have severe Occipital Neuralgia and I've had it for years...sucks.

Well I said one of my posts all wrong, dont know what I'm thinking kind of tired.
This time is from the flexing, last time was from the leg press.

I'll tell you exactly what I did.

Saturday night (new years) me and my workout buddies were at a party and we were flexing joking around. All three of us did a most muscular pic and we are always in competition. Always seeing who can do more who can look better etc.

Well anyways we took a pic and I was flexing as hard as I could (alot of adrenaline) and my head was shaking. You know when your really straining hard. The girl taking the pic didnt kno how to use the camera and i was flexing like this (very intensely) for 10 seconds straight.

Right after I looked in the mirror and to the right of my eye (around the eye, not on the eye) it was all red and spotty. Looked really weird. Head was feeling light headed and ever since I've had a throbbing headache come and go. IS it possible for this to go away by itself? I coulda sworn I did the same kinda thing with legs when I didnt breathe. Because I didnt breathe at all when flexing hard.

swordfish7
01-04-2006, 09:53 PM
Go see a doctor. Right now.

i forgot to mention in my first post that the first time I had this condition 3 years ago, I did go see a doctor about it. He just told me to get more sleep and take an asprin before working out. He didn't seem very concerned.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep looking into it and probably take it easy for a while.

Swordfish

fatnomore
01-05-2006, 12:07 AM
u taking any sups? could me a form of hypertension

melon
01-05-2006, 01:37 AM
I'm not sure it would be neuralgia if it came on suddenly during a workout. I certainly wouldn't put it down to trigeminal neuralgia, and I'm not sure the type of pain he mentions would be brought on by occipital neuralgia either - especially as he says it hurts more when he coughs indicating some kind of tension problem.

My guessing is you have probably strained something. A friend of mine did exactly the same. He went for brain scans - the full works, and they found nothing wrong. Nothing could account for his bad headaches during workouts. In the end they put it down to a strain and told him to take some painkillers and take it easy for a month while it healed.

melon
01-05-2006, 01:41 AM
I have severe Occipital Neuralgia and I've had it for years...sucks.
Ouch! The thing about neuralgia is if the injections to deaden the nerve don't work, it's usually removed (depending where it is - not sure they can do this with the occipital nerve) leaving palsey in the associated regions. Plus it hurts like hell all the time. Poor guy.