PDA

View Full Version : have any of u guys tried a non-diary diet?

B.b. in stress!
12-30-2005, 05:06 PM
non-diary as in no milk or anything that comes from it. i just want to know if any of u had any success with it at all.

emunah
12-30-2005, 05:15 PM
i don't eat dairy

Why do you want to cut it out?

muirsy88
12-30-2005, 05:24 PM
non-diary as in no milk or anything that comes from it. i just want to know if any of u had any success with it at all.

nope never have and never will.....i couldnt live without cottage cheese and certainly not without milk in my oats every morning.

B.b. in stress!
12-30-2005, 05:33 PM
i don't eat dairy

Why do you want to cut it out?
i read this article: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=607896 and it changed my perspective of diary products.

its not that i want to cut it out, i just want to know what might happen if i choose to cut it out

Frank_The_Tank
12-30-2005, 06:06 PM
i read this article: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=607896 and it changed my perspective of diary products.

its not that i want to cut it out, i just want to know what might happen if i choose to cut it out

I think thats a pretty bad idea. Your going to have to drink all of your whey with water.... :(

Melkor
12-30-2005, 06:10 PM
I have never kept a diary. I think that's mostly for teenage girls. :D

Dairy, on the other hand, is about the best stuff around. Why (unless someone was lactose intolerant) would anyone want to go dairy-free?

muirsy88
12-30-2005, 06:16 PM
I have never kept a diary. I think that's mostly for teenage girls. :D

Dairy, on the other hand, is about the best stuff around. Why (unless someone was lactose intolerant) would anyone want to go dairy-free?

LOL

It's true. I couldnt imagine life without milk for my precious oats and my cottage cheese before bed.

Frank_The_Tank
12-30-2005, 06:18 PM
LOL

It's true. I couldnt imagine life without milk for my precious oats and my cottage cheese before bed.
i didnt even realize that it said diary....

emunah
12-30-2005, 07:52 PM
I think thats a pretty bad idea. Your going to have to drink all of your whey with water.... :(

So? Quicker absorption, which is the point.

Frank_The_Tank
12-30-2005, 08:06 PM
So? Quicker absorption, which is the point.
taste

emunah
12-30-2005, 08:09 PM
Eh, my whey tastes great with water.

Frank_The_Tank
12-30-2005, 08:11 PM
whey is better with milk

getgot211
12-30-2005, 08:41 PM
milk has far to many pro's to let some articles from anti-dairy people to influence you, theres no reason what so ever to not take dairy in if you have no lactose intolerance. and i have yet to see any meaningful argument to that.

jasperg35
12-31-2005, 12:06 AM
whey is better with milk
if you mean taste - that's an opinion... as taste is relative...

however, there are definite implications that mixing whey and milk actually work together. whey for quick absorbtion, and the protein from milk (which is mostly [75%] casein) is absorbed over a longer period of time... giving you a 'timed release' effect of protein.

a low fat, or non-fat dairy serving before you go to bed is not always a bad thing.

... right before you write in your diary...

RossK
12-31-2005, 04:58 AM
A vegan i once knew asked if I would be cutting out dairy as it was " vegan week" eh..never heard of it ... but anyway...of course I was like ummm no way that would eliminate the majority of proteins apart from like Lentils...but thats sorta considered a poor mans protein as its not really complete.
"...but Lentils are kinda expensive..."
*Sigh*

US_Ranger
12-31-2005, 05:33 AM
Trans fat is found naturally in dairy products as well as beef. It's in small amounts though but if you're looking to cut it out completely, that's a good place to start.

As for lactose intolerance, it's not black and white. There are different levels to tolerance of dairy based products. I'm not lactose intolerant but I do feel less bloated when I don't eat dairy. I cut it out of my diet for about a year and felt great. Being in Iraq now I don't really have an option to completely cut it out but I do my best.

The best thing to do with dairy is cut it out of your diet for a couple weeks and see how you feel. If you don't feel different and like the taste of it, get back on it. If you feel less bloated and more....clean, then leave it out. I noticed I felt great and I don't consider dairy that important to gains in or out of the gym. You can get just as much, actually more, calcium from broccoli and other veggies than a glass of milk.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Take it for what it's worth.

afcop
12-31-2005, 07:08 AM
I've never had anything Diary as I am allergic to ALL of it....and i can tell ya...if this is what feeling good is all about...you guys who consume dairy products must really feel like crap

jasperg35
12-31-2005, 08:18 AM
ranger - calcium is easily compensated for... agreed... but, casein is a pretty unique protein. i have cut it out for months at a time, sometimes just because i forget to put in my diet.

but, it can have a place for bulking as well as cutting... and it can augment any program that uses different types of protein.

i used to drink the stuff by the bucket... but now i sometimes get that 'bloated' feeling you're referring to. so i've removed it once again... at least in liquid form. i still have a yogurt a couple times a week, and some cottage cheese with my daughter (its easy to raise healthy kids when you eat healthy right in front of them).

jasperg35
12-31-2005, 08:27 AM
I've never had anything Diary as I am allergic to ALL of it....and i can tell ya...if this is what feeling good is all about...you guys who consume dairy products must really feel like crap
i feel so, so sorry for you... i'm not trying to be cynical, i'm being truly sincere. i have easily gone through a gallon, and sometimes a gallon and a half when i was a teen. it was my pre/pre, pre, pwo, pos/pos, prebed... and sometimes dws. it has anabolic qualities... if you can tolerate it, drink it...

ranger - how much trans fat is in non-fat milk?

as far as the trans fat issue, i'd take anything natural as opposed to a myoplex bar that contains even more trans fat (usually something man-made, like partially hydrogenated oils, etc...).

but what about the fat burning effects of cla that is also in whole milk? cla actually contributes to metabolism, and fat burning, as well as being an antioxidant. now its probably not enough in natural form, i agree with supplementing, if cla is desired.

Jim_Gym
12-31-2005, 08:37 AM
I never eat dairy anymore, unless you count the casein protein shake that I drink last thing before bed at night, which I believe is based on dairy. My post-workout whey taste great with water and I never have cheese or drink milk and don't miss it at all.

US_Ranger
12-31-2005, 10:13 AM
I'm sure non fat milk probably only has trace amounts of trans fat in it. I wouldn't even worry about it really.

The only place I had something dairy related in my diet (while in the U.S.) was my prebed casein scoop with water. It's slow digesting qualities are good for sleep and any bloat will probably be worn off by waking time.

Other than that I don't see a huge need for it. The calcium argument doesn't work but I agree that the taste can be missed. I started drinking soy milk now though and I tried some regular milk (2 %) awhile back and it tasted like crap to me. You just have to get used to it I guess.

B.b. in stress!
12-31-2005, 04:14 PM
thx for all the replies guys!

Although u did answer my question, i was wondering if cutting out diary hampered any of your strength/size gains. it would suck to cut out cottage cheese, but cutting out milk wouldn't be so bad for me; i never really did have any place for it in my diet when cutting and bulking.

smoaky
12-31-2005, 07:54 PM

You won't be mixing whey with anything, because if you are going no-dairy then you wouldnt have it in the first place. Whey is the protein from milk. Whey and Casein...

B.b. in stress!
12-31-2005, 09:05 PM
You won't be mixing whey with anything, because if you are going no-dairy then you wouldnt have it in the first place. Whey is the protein from milk. Whey and Casein...
i heard people who go non-diary get whey isolate

but can anyone answer my above question?

Melkor
12-31-2005, 10:14 PM

Although u did answer my question, i was wondering if cutting out diary hampered any of your strength/size gains. it would suck to cut out cottage cheese, but cutting out milk wouldn't be so bad for me; i never really did have any place for it in my diet when cutting and bulking.
As long as you are intelligent about what you replace it with, then no, probably not. Dairy is perfect for what a bodybuilder needs though, so I'm not sure why you would want to...

B.b. in stress!
01-01-2006, 11:13 AM
As long as you are intelligent about what you replace it with, then no, probably not. Dairy is perfect for what a bodybuilder needs though, so I'm not sure why you would want to...
ya ur right, maybe i should just keep it...

Liquid
01-01-2006, 01:58 PM
hey, alot of people benefit by cutting out dairy and they don't realise it until they actual cut it out. There is only one way to know, try a non dairy diet for a few weeks and see if anything improves. Then you can judge whether or not you want to include dairy in your regular diet.

migizi
01-06-2006, 05:42 AM

I cut out dairy about 3 weeks ago....holy crap I feel soooo much better, I'm hardly hockin loogies anymore, kinda miss em. ha ha ha, I was lactose intolerant anyway, and hated shelling out 8.00 for a gallon of Lactaid Gallon. What sucks too is I'm allergic to Soy as well, throat got closed up, got rushed to hospital. SO I bought 3 tubs of Nutribiotic Rice Protein,,,it is awesome!!!! taste just like Farina,,,I also gave up Eggs, so I'm 100% vegan now...I've been mixing quinoa and lentils, almond butter sandwiches on Whole Grain Bread,,,,I love the taste of Whole Grain, but it sucks so bad,,,it's good for like 2 days, then it gets so stale it falls apart...It's not the same kind of whole grain in the supermarkets but at health stores,,,I've tried a couple kinds and the baker brand is the best,,,,but about strength/energy,,,,It's actually increased! my squat numbers have gone up, and I have more intensity, (plus no longer farting on the way down doing squats) during the holidays, I mainly did circuit style routines, one day upper body, next lower body just went from machine to machine basically no rest, and I was doing the 6-8 reps at higher weights without gassing out....I've noticed also better pumps as well.

tuckcts
12-20-2009, 09:36 PM
i also noticed the same thing with and without milk in my diet.

FatGymRat
12-20-2009, 09:47 PM
I do not eat any dairy at all.

It's not like if you avoid dairy for 30 days, you are going to lose all size and strength.
Intelligently replace that portion of the protein in your diet with something of a similar rate of assimilation, and see how your body reacts to the change.

My guess is that your digestive tract will thank you.

EDIT:
C'mon Man... You bumped a 4 year old "should I?" thread??