PDA

View Full Version : Terrified of too many calories

HappySnowBunny
01-13-2008, 08:33 AM
I've always existed on a calorie deficit...well, til the past few years (see flabby pic), and I'm terrified to up my calories. Logically I know it's better to fuel my body properly, but I can't understand more calories=better metabolism.

Encourage me! 'Splain this where I can keep telling myself it's ok until I believe it!

Right now I'm doing good to hit 1000 cals daily...and I'm trying to go for a great fat/weight loss. About 45-60 minutes cardio daily, with 3x week strength training, so I'm sure I need a LOT more...I'm just not finding it easy.

help a noob out?

baarat
01-13-2008, 09:18 AM
I would imagine your workouts arn't very intense. I believe there's a stickie that pertains to eating disorders, take a look. You will never be healthy from where you are now, and never be able to maintain your current regime without perpetuating your eating disorder. Make a change now.

War_Nerve
01-13-2008, 09:23 AM
x2 what baraat said.

Without the proper fuel, workouts will be modest at best, and results will be disappointing. It will take experimenting to find the right level for yourself, you may gain while you are finding your range, but it takes time. 2,300 cals for you may not be enough for someone else to get out of bed and go to work, 3,000 cals for someone else may be maintenance while if causes you to gain weight rapidly. Tons of factors involved.

atrain11b
01-13-2008, 09:30 AM
First we have to find your maintenance level for your current weight. I will not ask your weight, but you can use the formula below. This will tell you about haow many calories you need to consume to MAINTAIN your current weight, then you can start to reduce those calories little by little to see what works.

I am not sure how this works for women but 1000 seems low.

(15)(Bodyweight in pounds) = Daily Caloric Intake

Or you can use this site: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

HappySnowBunny
01-13-2008, 09:50 AM
Thanks ya'll! I'll definitely check out the ed sticky. I've restricted a long time, and I know I need to up the calories to at the absolute least twice what I'm taking in now...but it does scare me. I've gained so much the past 4 years and it's difficult to make peace with the eat more philosophy.

My workouts are...hm...well, not intense since I'm unable to run (repeated ballet injuries to ankles). Treadclimber with intervals for about 45 minutes. I sweat a nice lot, but I wouldn't call it intense. Weights are still at wimp level. (10-15 lbs free weights, with occasional 20 for back work)

So would it be best to ease up the calorie amount or dive in and be done with the scary part?

I'll read the sticky mentioned before asking further about moving past the abject fear...

again, thanks. I'll probably be back with more questions, but I'll keep the whimpering to a minimum. :)

Captain Sagara
01-13-2008, 09:55 AM
First we have to find your maintenance level for your current weight. I will not ask your weight, but you can use the formula below. This will tell you about haow many calories you need to consume to MAINTAIN your current weight, then you can start to reduce those calories little by little to see what works.

I am not sure how this works for women but 1000 seems low.

(15)(Bodyweight in pounds) = Daily Caloric Intake

Or you can use this site: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Don't follow his advice,your metabolism is now all f'cked up,your supposed maintainance level is not your real maintainance level anymore,if you now raise your calories all of a sudden all your body gonna due is store fat to protect himself from further starvings...You now have to slowly and very slowly raise your calories to the point you are only gaining quality weight...

baarat
01-13-2008, 09:56 AM
Thanks ya'll! I'll definitely check out the ed sticky. I've restricted a long time, and I know I need to up the calories to at the absolute least twice what I'm taking in now...but it does scare me. I've gained so much the past 4 years and it's difficult to make peace with the eat more philosophy.

My workouts are...hm...well, not intense since I'm unable to run (repeated ballet injuries to ankles). Treadclimber with intervals for about 45 minutes. I sweat a nice lot, but I wouldn't call it intense. Weights are still at wimp level. (10-15 lbs free weights, with occasional 20 for back work)

So would it be best to ease up the calorie amount or dive in and be done with the scary part?

I'll read the sticky mentioned before asking further about moving past the abject fear...

again, thanks. I'll probably be back with more questions, but I'll keep the whimpering to a minimum. :)
Your afraid because you associate eating to gaining weight, which is what has happened in the past. But when done properly taking advantage of proper nutrition eating more will actually burn more fat and you get to eat more, how good is that. Their is a balance that isn't hard to maintain, it's actually quite easy. Eating at maintaince will maintain proper health, without storing fat and eating muscle which is what happens when you don't eat enough, plus you'll rev up your metabolism and have a new energy level that you or your friends won't recognize. Eating at maintainence is extremely easy, don't complicate it, just do it.

terracotta
01-13-2008, 10:05 AM
Up the calories slowly, I'd go to 1200 per day right away, then increase that number by 100 every 3 days until you get to at least 1800 calories. Then you will stay there for at least a few months before tweaking.

Now this is very important. You may start gaining fat, however this will level off and eventually, it will likely reverse. Your body has to relearn how to use calories and stop trying to save them all for your survival.

Sibrek
01-13-2008, 11:06 AM
I'd agree with upping them slowly, and also, your body will probably store fat and first and then reverse it. (Happened to me) Likely, you'll also experience some extra bloating and water retention but don't let it discourage you

austinjt
01-13-2008, 10:49 PM
Don't follow his advice,your metabolism is now all f'cked up,your supposed maintainance level is not your real maintainance level anymore,if you now raise your calories all of a sudden all your body gonna due is store fat to protect himself from further starvings...You now have to slowly and very slowly raise your calories to the point you are only gaining quality weight...

Yes. You need to raise them slowly. But not too slowly.

1000 is WAY low. You are starving yourself.

Right now your brain, skin, other organs are taking all of your calories. Your muscles are not getting much...

I didn't look at your stats, but it would be very hard for your body to lose fat on that diet, let alone build muscle. Your body is saying "What the ****?! You are starving. Better hold on to as much energy (adipose tissue) as possible."

thepointman
01-13-2008, 11:05 PM
You're going to be fat the instant you eat more calories than maintenance... oh wait, it doesn't work that way! :) Just like you don't become Ronnie Coleman when you lift a weight. Change takes time, which in this case, is good for you, since you'll have control over how your body changes. Eat the calories and if you find yourself not getting the results you want, cut back. You aren't going to bloat overnight.

HappySnowBunny
01-14-2008, 07:23 AM
baarat, i like that. "dont complicate it. just do it." i'm going to try to remember that when it gets difficult.

terracotta, sibrek, i'll try that...upping gradually. it's crazy because i know logically i have nothing to worry about, and i know i'll see some gains before it kicks in but there it is anyway.

austinjt, that's what i think is going on...my body holding on to everything. my own fault, of course, and now i have to try to undo it. hopefully it's not too late, and i can pull it off. :) (oh, and i haven't put my stats up yet. too embarassing...really. and i'm still so new here... *shudder*)

pointman, ha! i lifted a whole 5 lb freeweight once just this morning and now i got guns! (kidding! hehee) but you're right...i'm going to have to tweak it and see what happens.

thank you everyone for the answers and support!!

i'm documenting a planned menu today that totals a little over 1200 cals so here's to that start...

now if i only had other things to say around here..heh heh.

LionChick
01-14-2008, 08:32 AM
hey i've been there at low low low cals before (250 a day, to be exact), and now i'm up to a very normal (i don't count anymore) level...

tcotta has it right... increase slowly, a hundred or so a day every few days

what helped me, too, was having about one day per week where i (although it was unintentional, since i was starving) ate a ton of food... usually it would start after i'd eat something like white rice that was high gi, and i'd find myself so hungry that before i knew it i had eated the whole box, and a whole chicken, too! however the result was that the next day i'd be able to handle more calories than previous "normal days" (physically fit them in my stomach) without feeling that bloat or being as scared...

so yeah. slow increases, and a day of (shoot for planned) excess once a week or so. should get your metabolism increasing along with your intake...