PDA

View Full Version : Losing fat w/ holidays/kids

chickeneater
12-25-2005, 09:07 AM
is this nearly impossible? I did so good this year, in hindsight somewhere around Halloween, I guess I let go. I mean, a few candy bars, then it's like, well thanksgiving is here, can't deprive self. Then x-mas is here and I'm surrounded by chocolate and egg nog. At work, I can eat so perfect. I've read all the holiday articles posted. But they're all written by kidless people who can keep cookies out of the house if they want.
Should I have just went all or nothing during the holidays? I'ts so difficult to strike a balance between dieting and not looking like a prude in front of the family.

Phreek
12-25-2005, 09:39 AM
Having children is no excuse for eating junk food and letting go on your diet. There are a lot of people who have children and eat healthy regarless. When I first started out my g/f had a lot of junk food in the house and I didn't touch any of it because I made the decision to change my life and eating habits. I'd rather look like a "prude" in front of family or friends than look like the fat blob I use to be. It's all about how you feel about yourself, not how others feel about you.

DJohnson
12-25-2005, 09:40 AM
Look like a prude. They might not show it but you'll be teaching your kids willpower. Show them if that they want something in life bad enough, all they have to do is get a hold of themselves and take it. Set an example.

My entire family eats terribly. Popcorn, candies, chips are in bowls in spread strategically around the house. I can't go from one side to the other without turning down multiple junk food sources. :D

Anyways, just eat perfectly clean most days and on xmas day or whatever have what you want. It all comes down to how bad you want it. How badly do you want to see your kids grow up?

Brad-PDX
12-25-2005, 09:41 AM
I just take the tact to show some restraint and remember what my goals are. I wouldn't worry about being a prude. I find that family and friends have a tendency to show more respect for staying on a diet and if they don't well send them out the door with the cookies! :) It is your life and you have to decide the priority. And remember you are setting an example for your kids. Have a great holiday.

KishanS
12-25-2005, 10:14 AM
Will power.

I almost had a fight yesterday since my father wanted Chinese food. I just made my own thing as usual.

Also, I think I can't stress this enough, but whenever you want something, make a "clean substitute." I really enjoy chocolate, so I put in a teaspoon of unprocessed cocoa in a protein shake, or in my oats. I'm not depriving myself, but I'm sticking to my diet. What else can I ask for? ****, wait this is Christmas, so presents would do nicely:D

travis h
12-25-2005, 12:01 PM
Set a good example for your family.

chickeneater
12-25-2005, 04:25 PM
thanx for the responses, I feel stronger now, and will be able to get back on the wagon tommorow.

chickeneater
12-25-2005, 05:39 PM
I thought a bit more on the responses. I think I'm coming to the conclusion that if I plan to live this lifestyle I have to stop worrying about being a prude. I think I'm trying to satisfy everyone else instead of my own goals. I'm always concerned w/ balancing fitness w/ my family, like trying to get it done on the down low. But if I want to take it to the next level my actions around my family/friends/coworkers will be obvious and noticed by them. I suppose a third of my family/friends will think I'm a prude. a third will think I'm an example, and the other third won't care. I think I can live w/ that.