PDA

View Full Version : Does this diet sound fine for cutting?

.JJ.
01-10-2008, 09:37 PM
OK, currently I'm 5'9" and weigh 172lbs. and stand at about 18% body fat. Most of my body fat seems to be around my waist area. My goal is to drop down to 158-162 lbs. and cut down to 10% BF. Oh & I'm pretty new here by the way.

I thought this type of diet would work well for me...

Basically my plan is to go high-protein/moderate carb/low fat. The only proteins I plan to consume are fish, turkey, chicken, and nuts. I want to stay away from all red meats since I have a problem with high cholesterol, except I may have a meal 1X per week that includes ground bison. I will only be drinking 1% skim milk and will limit yogurt/cheese servings to 1X per day. I plan to keep fruit servings low to reduce sugar intake. As far as vegetables go, I plan to eat plentiful servings of green vegetables such as asparagus, green beans, spinach, etc. I also like to munch on carrot & celery sticks. I plan to eat a moderate amount of carbs...no processed carbs or white bread/white pasta, I will mostly be eating brown rice, sweet potatoes, black beans, whole grain bread, or whole wheat pasta.

Anyway, any feedback here would be appreciated!

joeflex73
01-11-2008, 12:28 AM
Id recommend a 50/30/20 split (P/F/C). If your fat is kept too low it will effect test levels. Cutting carbs gives more area to actually cut. If your eating fat and carbs at around RDI, you have 1200 Calories to cut in carbs or 585 in fat. Up to you.

Sim882
01-11-2008, 02:41 AM
Some advice.

Work out how many cals you need to consume - your maintenance is prob 2800 I'm guessing assuming moderately exercise, so average about 2200 to cut. There are more accurate internet formulas for this (e.g., Harris and Benedict equation).

Then work out your desired macros.

I don't agree with just 20% carbs. Your not approaching a competition anytime soon.

Consider something like 40/40/20 (C/P/F). This was the ratio I used earlier in the year to drop from 18 to 10% in a very short period (less than 3 months, no joke), your precise goal.

The advantage of 40/40/20, is that when weight loss plateaus, you have as a back up strategy the ability to reduce carbs. 20% carbs gives you less room to move. Also, at 20% carbs, except your muscles to ache and recovery to be poor (in my experience).

Alternatively carb cycle - 3 days at 2000 cals, 30/50/20; 1 day 2800 50/35/15 or something like that.

At 2200 cals, that's 220 C, 220P, 49F.

Roughly evenly divide your calories across 5-6 meals over the day.

F should be lower PWO, and after cardio. C should be lower towards the end of the day (unless that is PWO). P should be fairly constant - maybe slightly higher PWO.

As for food selections, most of them are good. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of whole grain bread, or whole wheat pasta. It is quite nutritional void, somewhat processed, and lacks soluble fibre. Plus, the gluten from wheat apparently makes many people fat. With your cholesterol issues, I would consider oat bran (which tastes the same as oat meal) as a carb - it has 60% more fibre (and soulble fibre) than regular oats, and is lower in calories and carbs, and more filling per calorie.

Also, is ur training and cardio in order?

blacksmith77
01-11-2008, 04:09 AM
i would start at 2600/2500 personally. that also gives you room to lower gradually. depending on your activity of course your maintainence level would be more like 3000 i think.

rjphealth
01-11-2008, 04:14 AM
The best way i have found to shed Bodyfat is to keep the metabolism high by cycling your carb intake over 3-4 days.

Day 1 Moderate protein,High carb, moderate fat

Day 2 Moderate Protein, Moderate Carb, Low fat

Day 3 High Protein, Very low carb, Low Fat

I have used this many times on myself and on my clients - safest, healthiest asnd fastest way to trim fat.

Obviously you need to find out your BMR (basal metobolic rate) and work out your maintainence calories and adjust from there.

Rich