PDA

View Full Version : Diet for a college running back....comments please.

vanvan22
01-08-2008, 11:49 PM
Im 5-9..and about 207 pounds.

I play running back....Im looking to get rid of excess body fat and become more hardened and chisled...lol....Im looking to enter the draft after next football season....wish me luck heres the diet.

Im starting a new diet I got from a book called " No Mistakes Guide".

3000 calories per day (40% carbs, 40% Protein, 20%fat)

M1- 10 scrambled egg whites with 1 cup of oatmeal.

M2- MRP Shake with 40 g of protein.

M3- 10 Ounces of chicken breast with one cup of brown rice.

M4- Protein shake( 20 g's)...and a piece of fruit.

M5- 5 ounces of Tuna with 8 ounces of yam

M6- 8 ounces of steak, 1 baked potato, 1 small green salad w/ fat free dressing.

M7-(If Hungry before bed)....MRP Shake 1 hour before bed.

Thanks.

vanvan22
01-09-2008, 12:07 AM
Any comments or suggestions???

warbird00
01-09-2008, 12:09 AM
add up your macros and it will be easier to critique. Im assuming you wanna do maintenance so you can add a little muscle and also cut a little fat? And since your playing football how much are u running?

where do u go to school?

vanvan22
01-09-2008, 12:32 PM
add up your macros and it will be easier to critique. Im assuming you wanna do maintenance so you can add a little muscle and also cut a little fat? And since your playing football how much are u running?

where do u go to school?

Yeah Im basically trying to lose fat...get ripped.

Eat clean basically.

I run alot of sprints...and I do lots of agilty training.

I go to a school in the big ten.

vanvan22
01-09-2008, 01:50 PM
hellooooo anybody home???

determined594
01-09-2008, 02:03 PM
Well Its hard saying exactly when you factor in training parameters, those can be highly influential on calorie intake, especially depending on what times of the day you are working out, etc. I would suggest since your main goal is cutting some of the fat to try it out and for a couple of weeks and keep track of how you feel/look.

Of course a diet can always be better, but as for a basic idea, I would say it doesnt look too bad. Dont neglect your fruits and veggies and keep greens in your diet. I would also reccomend fish oils and green tea. These things can always help enhance the effects if your diet is online.

Alienheat4
01-09-2008, 02:25 PM
You're going to want to first calculate your BMR. Remember to use kilograms for weight and cm for height. This is how many calories your body would burn if you just stayed in bed all day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basal_metabolic_rate

Then use the following links to calculate your final maintenance calories.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/

From there, you have to figure out the intensity of your workouts yourself. I'm not sure how much running and such you do in the off season. If you feel like you don't do too much running (as in about 500 calories burnt a day) then subtract 500 calories from your plan. If you feel like you burn more than enough from your workouts, eating your maintenance level wouldn't be a bad idea. Experiment and see how your body reacts.

Your diet looks pretty good from what I can see. Seems like you have the basics down well. Throw in some more vegetables and a multi-vitamin. Don't neglect those two. As a D-1 athlete, you probably need the benefit of veggies and a multi the most. Drink plenty of water, and you should be set. Good luck with your season and the draft!

vanvan22
01-10-2008, 12:26 PM
You're going to want to first calculate your BMR. Remember to use kilograms for weight and cm for height. This is how many calories your body would burn if you just stayed in bed all day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basal_metabolic_rate

Then use the following links to calculate your final maintenance calories.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/

From there, you have to figure out the intensity of your workouts yourself. I'm not sure how much running and such you do in the off season. If you feel like you don't do too much running (as in about 500 calories burnt a day) then subtract 500 calories from your plan. If you feel like you burn more than enough from your workouts, eating your maintenance level wouldn't be a bad idea. Experiment and see how your body reacts.

Your diet looks pretty good from what I can see. Seems like you have the basics down well. Throw in some more vegetables and a multi-vitamin. Don't neglect those two. As a D-1 athlete, you probably need the benefit of veggies and a multi the most. Drink plenty of water, and you should be set. Good luck with your season and the draft!

Okay thanks alot for the good advice and the encouragement.

vanvan22
01-10-2008, 12:28 PM
Well Its hard saying exactly when you factor in training parameters, those can be highly influential on calorie intake, especially depending on what times of the day you are working out, etc. I would suggest since your main goal is cutting some of the fat to try it out and for a couple of weeks and keep track of how you feel/look.

Of course a diet can always be better, but as for a basic idea, I would say it doesnt look too bad. Dont neglect your fruits and veggies and keep greens in your diet. I would also reccomend fish oils and green tea. These things can always help enhance the effects if your diet is online.

Okay..thanks.

I eats lots of fruits like pears, apples and oranges.......Im not a green veggie type guy...the only veggies I like are corn..lettuce..onions...yellow peppers and carrots.

I also will be buying some fish oil...and CLA.

DBee
01-10-2008, 12:33 PM
what school do you go to? just curious..i know you said it's a school in the big ten but which one? :S

warbird00
01-10-2008, 01:55 PM

Eat clean basically.

Well im assuming u have a weights/cardio program that your school provided you with. I would just try to eat clean, lot of protein, try to get most of your carbs around your workout and that should be good.

Unless you wanna count your calories which would take more time but it would be a lot more efficient

krypticz
01-10-2008, 02:05 PM

Eat clean basically.

Your team should have a nutrition expert, ask him/her for a plan based on what your goals are. Seeing has its offseason right now you should really be more focused on bulking, then cutting right before summer camp begins (this also will help you with conditioning).

BMatt
01-11-2008, 03:15 PM
Who knew being on the practice squad was so much work ? but sersiously who do you play for?