PDA

View Full Version : Post workout eating question

JPetro
01-08-2008, 07:32 PM
What is the best thing to get into your system post workout?
Now, i try to watch my carbs using the GI scale. I try to eat the good carbs with the low GI.
I have heard that you need something with High GI immediately following the workout. I have heard drink a gatorade or certain fruits. I workout at night anywhere from 7 to 9 o'clock. So, would eating nigh GI carbs not pertain to me cause i workout so late because usually you don't want the carbs late at night, especially not high GI carbs. Any thoughts? Thanks

LiL USMC BBer
01-08-2008, 07:33 PM
High GI carb, dextrose insulin spike is over-rated... some people still do it but like.. whatever.

I've noticed my best/leanest gains by getting whole foods in 30-45 minutes post workout..

in10city
01-09-2008, 01:38 AM
What is the best thing to get into your system post workout?
Now, i try to watch my carbs using the GI scale. I try to eat the good carbs with the low GI.
I have heard that you need something with High GI immediately following the workout. I have heard drink a gatorade or certain fruits. I workout at night anywhere from 7 to 9 o'clock. So, would eating nigh GI carbs not pertain to me cause i workout so late because usually you don't want the carbs late at night, especially not high GI carbs. Any thoughts? Thanks
With proper pre-training nutrition, it is not necessary to gorge on carbs or sugar for that matter to elevate insulin and blood sugar in order to facilitate nutrient uptake, protein synthesis and to shut off the catabolic switch. Insulin can be elevated through various additive mechanisms. And a level less than a spike will go a long way. A good dose of Leucine + whey hydrolysate will go a long way towards achieving this. And you can benefit from some carbs, you just don't need to down a ton of sugar or carbs to get the benefits.

There are both an insulin dependant and insulin independant pathway to protein synthesis. They are synergistic and there is an additive effect. A small increase in insulin + a high level of amino acids is more anabolic than either alone.

Regarding glycogen... if your training is typified by 1 hour sessions once per day, straight sets, low reps, long rest periods, then you're not going to be putting much drain on your glycogen. If your training is the complete opposite of this - longer 90+ min sessions, no straight sets - all supersets, giant sets, drop sets, extended TUT, and short rest periods, this will put a larger drain on your glycogen. Multiple sessions per day will as well.

I'll add this for your consideration ... Do post-exercise carbs actually help? (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=3519361)

Alan's take... http://user210805.websitewizard.com/files/unprotected/AARR-Jan-2008.pdf