PDA

View Full Version : Trying to help my gf's brother, but he's a stubborn dope

Storms of War
12-15-2005, 08:15 PM
Alright, my girlfriend's little brother is 15 years old. A year ago, he was horribly fat. Luckily, he went through an incredible growth spurt and dropped the majority of his weight. He was 5'5" and 180lbs. He's now 5'10" and 150. He's still a little chubby, but nothing compared to what he was. He's been working out for at least 6 months (I actually think it's been longer) and he hasn't really seen results. It didn't take long to figure out why. His diet is pathetic. He eats pea soup sometimes (Doesn't even warm it up. Eats it straight from the can.), maybe some carrots, sometimes a can of tuna if he's feeling really ambitious. His mom is a nurse and his sister is in med school. We've all explained to him that he needs fats, calories and proteins in addition to other things, but he refuses to listen. He thinks he's going to bulk and cut at the same time if he works out and doesn't eat. He gets pissed because I get better results than him in one month than he's gotten since he started. His strength has increased, but he's not bulking or toning at all. He went from struggling with 80lbs on the bench press to 10 reps of 115lbs. He does reps of 40lbs with dumbell curls where he used to have problems with 20lbs. He only does his chest, arms, abs and shoulders. He never does his back or legs. His chest isn't any more muscular, nor are his arms or shoulders. He runs on a treadmill for 15 minutes, then works out for a half hour. He's just about the same size he was when he started. You can notice a slight change, but that's it.

He started wearing wife beaters and sleeveless Under Armor shirts which I think is great. Obviously, he's becoming more comfortable and more confident. I think that's awesome. If he think he's getting results, he'll stick with it. How do I get him to start eating right, though? If he wants to grow somewhere other than in his own imagination, he NEEDS to eat. He always complains to me, yet he never does anything about it. I've sent him to this site numerous times to do some research, but he doesn't follow what he reads. Yesterday, he flipped out when his mom told him he was still pudgy. She was kidding, but he took it very seriously and locked himself in his room for the rest of the day.

How do I get this kid on a good diet? I know that you guys have dealt with this type of problem before. I'd really appreciate any help. I don't think he wants to starve himself. He just thinks that all fats are automatically bad for you and that if he avoids eating them, he'll slim down. Same with carbs. I need advice.