PDA

View Full Version : Want to help my mom.

and1_balla52
12-13-2005, 12:32 PM
Can someone give me some help here. My mom is 50 something. Has no life at all. Out of shape. Eats eats and eats some more. Snaps at everyone. Sometimes she has the right to, but she just goes off all the time. I know it's because she is very unhappy. She gets up, goes to work, comes home, goes to her room and just lays there. Very lazy. Says shes just soooo damn tired when she gets home, but she has a desk job. When I don't work sometimes, she'll call here because she is bored. Cant be working tooo hard. When my sisters kids come over, she cant really play with them like she would like to because shes soo big. They just dont like to play with her much because they know shes not goingt o be able to play with them. Soemtimes they want to be taken to the park, and she just cant do it. Please help me guys. I dont know how much my mom weighs because she wont step on the scale. Im think 400-ish tho. Shes 6 foot tall atleast. Some tips, pointers anything would help. I just need to get her to do something and stick with it, my sister told me she would help me. And go to the y with her in the mourning.

Coprolith
12-13-2005, 12:59 PM
I've some bad news and some good news.

The bad news is that only your mom can decide to change her lifestyle. No matter how much you might want her to be healthy and lead a better lifestyle, you can't do it for her. Only she can.

That said, the good news is that you can lead by example. If you start eating healthier, working out more, and improving, she will likely see the improvements and realize how you are making them. Don't hassle her or anything, but as time goes on, just invite her to join you in going for a walk, get into a routine of that, and then see if she wants to go work out with you. She might be indignant at first, but as long as you aren't being overbearing and just asking nicely, one day (however long it takes) she will probably accept your offer. When she does, encourage her about it and show her that it makes you happy that she's walking with you or eating better or whatever improvements she makes. In time, with enough encouragement and the example of others, she may choose to lead a better lifestyle, and that's when the changes will start to happen.

I had a similar situation with my parents before, but I've used what I've learned to lead by example and help them improve their lifestyles once they expressed the desire to change. Good luck.