PDA

View Full Version : opinions on lifting for wrestling

fido
10-11-2002, 03:39 PM
i have my own ideas and opinions, but i wanted to get yours:

which do you think is a better form of training for wrestling, powerlifting-style (bench, squat, deadlift, possibly military, row) or olympic-style (power clean, power snatch, push press, other explosive stuff) ?

hawkpfc2
10-11-2002, 04:04 PM
What needs to be worked on for wrestling is a combination of power-endurance, reactive power, and medium length muscular endurance. There are several ways these can all be trained. If you want a list of good exercises, I can give those to you.

For power-endurance, you want to use a light to moderate weight for 15-30 reps with 2 or 3 exercises. You want to do this very quickly and if you can't do it very quickly stop at whatever rep level you are at as you will gain muscle size and not power-endurance. Between sets, you want to rest 5-7 minutes and do 2-4 sets 2-3x a week.

Reactive power is stuff like plometrics where you do rep after rep as quickly as possible

Medium endurance is taking a light load (40-50 percent of max) with a series of 4-8 exercises for 2-4 sessions. You wait 2 minutes between sets and you starft with 30 reps at a medium speed. You do this for 2-3 weeks.

A combination of these will help your wrestling very much. Powerlifting would be better than Olympic lifting if you know how to use the gained strength in wrestling which is what I attempted to show above.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Ben