PDA

View Full Version : anyone have ACL surgery? Workouts after?

AuggieDawgie
10-10-2002, 03:54 PM
I injured my leg playing ball the other day and am going in for ACL surgery, probably next week. Anyone had this? I am just wondering if I am going to have to stop doing hard leg workouts for a LONG time. I dont want to look all mis-proportioned. Any thoughts would be great.

PS. Please excuse any incoherrent posts in the near future.....Im on some good pain pills :)

djv
10-10-2002, 10:04 PM
I was playing flag football and twisted my leg and tore the ACL completely. I had surgery Jan 2001. Rehabed in physical therapy for a month then took it easy and walked a treadmill for about 3 months.

I had the hamstring graft though you might have the patella tendon graft I don't know, but I can tell you that I'm still sore from scar tissue.
18 months later my leg workouts haven't suffered much although I can see a slight size difference in my quad and calf that had the bum knee. When I hit the treadmill for 20 I feel it but I'm told it will get better over time. The patella fix is what the NFL players get because it makes the knee feel really tight and strong however in your later years you pay because it has less flexibility then the ham fix.

So yes, you will be seeing downtime in the near future. In all it took about about 9 months before I could do 300lb squats again.

sunnycarp
06-15-2014, 10:34 PM
I recently operated on my right knee ACL 10 days ago.

For the benefit of those after me, I decided to blog down the entire experience.

You can follow it at aclsurgeryblog.com

dv08coal
06-16-2014, 06:07 AM
I have a cadaver ACL which was my third knee operation. They have come a long way in knee surgeries, my first scars were the three long ones that you see, and now the same operation is like a two inch scar. Recovery is totally different now they want you up and around right away. What did save my life was the ice machine that fits on your knee with a cooler that keeps it cool all night. Please get one for sleeping. Life saver.

Working out....just go with what they tell you and do not push it too soon. Long term you have to learn how to mentally not favor that leg, and try and isolate the leg with strength training. I still do not do this well and favor my left leg. I think the mental is far harder to get over, and you over compensate, at least I do.

rbjames74
12-05-2014, 07:59 AM
College Athlete here. Tore my ACL in august, had surgery sept 15th Patellar graft. Almost 3 months out and I no longer walk with a limp, I can do body weight squats, planks, I'm almost jogging again. Understand that your surgery leg is gonna feel like jelly because it's going to atrophy (however you spell it). Also as for being misproportioned dont make the mistake most post op people make, DONT EAT LIKE A MANIAC, you WILL gain weight. As soon as you can start doing upper body work, and integrate the leg exercises that you can do when your rehab people say you can (Leg Press, Body Weight Squats, Wall sits, etc) and you won't end up misproportioned.