PDA

View Full Version : Ribcage/Abdominal Strain/Tear -- Anyone?

Flynner
11-28-2005, 02:22 PM
Hi,

I have a strain or tear (haven't been to the doc's ... student health insurance isn't exactly the loveliest) in my lower ribcage / upper abdominal area. I initially thought I injured myself doing ab workouts ... but I realized it must've come from doing dumbell presses -- at the end of one of my sets I felt a pulling in the same area. I must have been over doing it, and inappropriate spots on my right side were compensating inappropriately.

At any rate, I'm on rest and I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar injury, or if anyone in general has advice on what I'm dealing with.

TXScout2
11-28-2005, 03:42 PM
You're right, it most likely is a strain. It just needs a little rest, and it will heal up. When it comes to muscle strains, you are really the best judge of whether or not you are ready to get back into exercising. If it hurts a lot, dont do it. Muscles have a lot of blood flow so they can heal pretty rapidly. Once the pain subsides a bit, you can probably get back into your normal routine. It probably wont take more than a couple weeks.

Flynner
11-28-2005, 11:19 PM
What about mild or moderate tears? Or, pulls in the connective tissue?

What about healing then?

xenithon
11-28-2005, 11:47 PM
Talk to Nainoa - he's an absolute expert in this.

HockeyGrrl
11-29-2005, 12:07 AM
I've torn the cartilage in my ribs twice, and the bad news is, it affects pretty much everything you do. If you are having any trouble breathing or it's difficult to get up from a lying position, the best thing to do is just rest. There's no other way around it. No one likes taking time off, but if you're in a lot of pain, it's the best thing to do. Is there any popping in your chest/ribs when you breathe?

The thing about rib injuries, which I learned the hard way, is that they start off not so bad, then get worse. I got hurt, thought it wasn't so bad, then played 5 games in the next 3 days and by the end of it I couldn't even sit down. Even Vicodin didn't help (although it did put me to sleep). Standing, walking, and god forbid, sneezing, were all incredibly painful. I eventually had to take 2 weeks off. That got rid of the sharp pain, but it still took quite a while for it to heal completely.

Since it's nearly impossible to find an exercise (or an action, really) that doesn't utilize your ribs/midsection in some way, I strongly suggest you take at least a week off and see how you feel after that. There is no splint or cast you can wear - it just takes time.

Good luck!

TXScout2
11-29-2005, 12:21 AM
Mild to moderate tearing of the muscle is what causes a "strain" or a "pulled muscle." Unless you have a complete tear where the muscle has been completely severed, rest is the key. In the case it were completely torn, surgical reattachment could be necessary, although that seems very unlikely, especially with an abdominal injury. That would be more likely in biceps, hamstrings, etc, where the muscle just rolls up like a window shade and you KNOW its torn. As far as cartilage, tendons, or ligaments go, the blood flow is less, and healing can take longer. 4-6 weeks would be the recommended rest period for a more serious injury, still the indicator youre going to have to use is whatever pain youre experiencing.

Flynner
11-29-2005, 11:16 AM
This is mildly reassuring, I suppose. My issue is basically a range of motion pain -- and it's not so much on my central ab area, but to the right (obliques?) ... It hurts when I do a crunch, toward the end of the crunch when I'm moving my upper body back toward the ground. I get a sharp, pulsating pain there. It also hurts during dumbell presses (i think this is how I may have originally injured it, by over doing it).

I noticed it 6 months ago where it was more or less chronic, took a lot of time off, forgot about it, and now I'm feeling it again.

$AJ
11-29-2005, 11:20 AM
can't say for that type of injury, but when i strained my bicep I was off for 6weeks, then when i tore my radial head (forearm) i was off for ~3months

Flynner
11-29-2005, 07:21 PM
is it "as good as new" now? give or take?

$AJ
11-29-2005, 11:31 PM
is it "as good as new" now? give or take?

my strained bicep is good as new......simple strain, no biggie, just a bunch of time

my torn forearm on the other hand is another issue - anybody whose ever had a serious tear (Technically a strain is a tear, but i use tear to mean a complete separation, not something that will heal in a few weeks) wwill tell you you never get back to 100%. There are still certain movements (e.g., pullups) that aggravate it. Not severly, but after tearing it, anytime I get pain/unusual soreness in that area i immediately stop.

Same with petefox - he tore his bicep doing 100+pd hammer curls - he recovered, like me, but was never at 100% again with it.

wonderdownunder
11-30-2005, 02:05 AM
no offense to anyone but i wouldn't listen to anyone but a professional when it comes to injuries. it could be anything

$AJ
11-30-2005, 11:21 AM
no offense to anyone but i wouldn't listen to anyone but a professional when it comes to injuries. it could be anything

you place too much stock in the medical system ^_^

up here, if your bone is poking out of your arm, good luck getting a decent diagnosis unless you see a physiotherapist (if it's musclular)

Sdumper
06-08-2015, 11:07 AM
Suffering from a similiar pain in my upper right Oblique Ab muscle over my right lower rib cage.

I have trouble sleeping at night and bending over unless I take ibuprofen. Ive given it 3.5 days off so far and enough is enough. Heading back to the GYM tonight but will focus on my legs and wear a support strap.
I simply cant just take off from the GYM completely. Id go insane...