PDA

View Full Version : Rob Poulos is an idiot

kamranhaikal
12-31-2007, 12:57 PM
Rob Poulos, author of the fat burning furnace (fatburningfurnace.com) is an idiot. He sends out a weekly email usually to those on his mailing list and here is his recent advice in an email regarding nutrition (and specifically protein)

"Proteins (lean meats, fish, poultry, soy, beans and legumes, etc.) are important to maintain the cellular structures in your body and provide the building blocks for the lean muscle you're after, which is vital if you want to burn fat fast. But with anything else, don't go overboard with protein. Some fitness experts claim that you'll need a minimum 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight each day.

There is no real proof that this is the case, and ingesting more protein than your body needs ends up going to your fat stores...plus it doesn't do your kidneys or liver any good either. I've found that keeping protein to around 0.5 grams per pound of bodyweight each day more than sufficient in feeding the lean muscle growth that my Fat Burning Furnace students stimulate with their properly performed resistance exercise.

Another important aspect of protein involves whether or not you're getting your protein from animal or plant based sources. While the traditional American diet recommends most animal based proteins, recent data suggests that too heavy a reliance on animal proteins i.ncreases risks for disease.

On top of that, animal proteins contain almost no fiber, which doesn't go very far in keeping you feeling full, and negatively effects your ability to burn fat. When choosing your protein sources, make sure you eat a good portion of your protein from plant sources (soy, beans, legumes, etc.). You don't have to be a vegetarian, but I recommend keeping your animal proteins on the low side."

Now what bull**** is that.

friedrice683
12-31-2007, 01:10 PM
Ummm I don't think it is bullsh!t.

Meat intake is linked to cancers - that is a fact. However, most of us on this board could give a rat's ass haha.

Protein recommendations is such a highly disputed topic - it doesn't really matter. He is talking about losing weight / fat, and to do so requires a calorie deficit. Carbohydrates and fats are muscle sparing and I can see WHY he would only recommend .5g protein per pound of weight, however, I don't think it is IDEAL.

It isn't bullsh!t - just not the BEST advice. IMO he could make that newsletter a LOT better by just taking out the recommendation for soy and stating just get 1g per pound of bodyweight. Then I would completely agree with him.

Lots of people have different opinions man, that's the way the world spins.

joeflex73
12-31-2007, 01:17 PM
.5g/lb maybe for someone who doesnt workout and is mostly sedentary, but thats definitely pretty low.

tinyman5000
12-31-2007, 01:18 PM
lol its bull****, look at all the people who have eating disorders or who dont exercise when they lose weight, they just w/e barely any calories and they lose muscle and become like Jared from Subway. I ate pretty much nothing but protein (2g/lb) 110 carbs and like 20 grams fat (by no means a healthy balance) but I retained almost all my muscle. For bulking I think 1-1.25 grams is sufficient but this article is retarded, eggs and other meat/dairy have antioxidants and anti-carcinogens (like selenium and stuff) in them. People just don't eat enough fiber or vegetables, keep in mind we're talking about the typical overweight, crybaby american who eats one salad a day and buys like 3000$ of laxatives a year and thats it. They're stomachs and colons are like warzones

purplefan77
12-31-2007, 01:20 PM

Meat intake is linked to cancers - that is a fact. However, most of us on this board could give a rat's ass haha.

Protein recommendations is such a highly disputed topic - it doesn't really matter. He is talking about losing weight / fat, and to do so requires a calorie deficit. Carbohydrates and fats are muscle sparing and I can see WHY he would only recommend .5g protein per pound of weight, however, I don't think it is IDEAL.

It isn't bullsh!t - just not the BEST advice. IMO he could make that newsletter a LOT better by just taking out the recommendation for soy and stating just get 1g per pound of bodyweight. Then I would completely agree with him.

Lots of people have different opinions man, that's the way the world spins.

x2

even though I eat more than .5/lb, I do think some go overboard on the protein.

eodtexan
12-31-2007, 01:28 PM

everything is linked to cancer. LOL

muscularHUNK
12-31-2007, 01:29 PM
I don't think the guy is in any way an idiot. Even if I don't agree with everything he says.

An awful lot of the accepted wisdom concerning bodybuilding is heavily influenced by the billion dollar supplement industry.

kamranhaikal
12-31-2007, 02:09 PM
Or its just common sense to keep protein high, whether in a fat loss stage (since it has the highest thermogenic effect out of all the macronutrients) or a hypertrophy stage (since it is the raw material for new muscle growth). Either way, 0.5g protein intake combined with a majority of that intake from crappy low-bioavailability vegetable proteins, and estrogen producing soy proteins, is idiotic.

zazzybrooks
11-10-2008, 09:42 PM
I don't think it is bull**** either. What everybody forgets is that it is not protein that your body actually needs, it is amino acids, which you can also recieve from plant sources. Think of a horse, or gorilla, where did they get all their muscle from? They don't eat meat at all and yet they have low body fat percentages. I think in terms of energy and protein is not an energy builder because it takes so much energy to digest it. If you are trying to lose weight then expending more calories just by digesting meat may be the trick you are looking for. If you think protein is an energy builder look to the lions because they eat only meat and sleep all day. Most animals that eat just veg are highly active. So all depends are what you want to get, fat loss vs. high energy? Maybe you want both, which would mean you want balance.