PDA

View Full Version : god NCAA needs a playoff system

BOLT.
12-30-2007, 06:51 PM
Seriously, who is against this and why? There's just too many good teams to be able to class them on in bowls. They should let them play each other out to decide. I bet 20 other teams are capable of winning the National Championship.

That's why the NFL has the playoffs. So the best teams can go in and all compete against each other and if you loose you're out.

SpeedDemon9
12-30-2007, 06:54 PM
Seriously, who is against this and why? There's just too many good teams to be able to class them on in bowls. They should let them play each other out to decide. I bet 20 other teams are capable of winning the National Championship.

That's why the NFL has the playoffs. So the best teams can go in and all compete against each other and if you loose you're out.

I'll tell you who is against the playoff system...the Big Ten and Pac 10 officials and the Rose Bowl committee. They have television contracts for the Rose Bowl up until 2011 and I doubt they will break that to give us fans a playoff system. I don't see that happening until 2012 at the earliest.

ba199
12-30-2007, 07:18 PM

20 teams? thats a joke, it's college football not college basketball. there's maybe 8 teams at the most that could win in a 16 team playoff this year and its a crazy year. usually its only 1-4 standout teams. id still like to see an 8 team playoff like everyone else though.

SpeedDemon9
12-30-2007, 07:19 PM
20 teams? thats a joke, it's college football not college basketball. there's maybe 8 teams at the most that could win in a 16 team playoff this year and its a crazy year. usually its only 1-4 standout teams. id still like to see an 8 team playoff like everyone else though.

An eight team playoff is what we will probably see, but not anytime soon.

laxster
12-30-2007, 07:20 PM
It probably would never happen, but it would be exciting to see.

Mr.Hombre
12-30-2007, 07:23 PM
it does, because my USC trojans would definitely win this year.

PowerBuilder08
12-30-2007, 07:25 PM
16-team playoff, this way all conference champions can get in. No one can complain, win your conference you get a shot.

BOLT.
12-30-2007, 07:27 PM
I'll tell you who is against the playoff system...the Big Ten and Pac 10 officials and the Rose Bowl committee. They have television contracts for the Rose Bowl up until 2011 and I doubt they will break that to give us fans a playoff system. I don't see that happening until 2012 at the earliest.
Well screw their money. They could still call them whatever they want. Like you know how you have the big 5 bowls? Those will be the 4 final playoffs and the national championship.

Yes, 20. We had so many upsets this year, why wouldnt we in the playoffs? I mean, of course you'll have 8 who are favorites and will probably win. But it's still anyone's to go get An 8-team or 16-team playoff system is a start, but I'd like to see 24 teams.

xJustin
12-30-2007, 07:40 PM
do an 8 team playoff and then also have some bowl games for the other losers

PowerBuilder08
12-30-2007, 07:45 PM
do an 8 team playoff and then also have some bowl games for the other losers

Why 8? That's stupid, why not give all the conference champions a chance to be in like all the other divisions do?

BOLT.
12-30-2007, 07:49 PM
Why 8? That's stupid, why not give all the conference champions a chance to be in like all the other divisions do?

Yep agreed. Should be at least 16, optimally 24.

PowerBuilder08
12-30-2007, 07:50 PM
Yep agreed. Should be at least 16, optimally 24.

True. I think if anything 16 would be the happy medium that MAY have a shot.

SpeedDemon9
12-30-2007, 07:52 PM

Drop the championship games for the conferences and start the playoffs early. Many of the major conference officials agreed on expanding their schedules to allow for championship games, but are unwilling to have a playoff system. They want to keep college football a one semester thing. That is why a 16 team playoff won't work, because they would have to practice/play around final exams.

PowerBuilder08
12-30-2007, 07:57 PM
Drop the championship games for the conferences and start the playoffs early. Many of the major conference officials agreed on expanding their schedules to allow for championship games, but are unwilling to have a playoff system. They want to keep college football a one semester thing. That is why a 16 team playoff won't work, because they would have to practice/play around final exams.

Yet somehow the D3, D2, and D1-AA teams manage to have playoffs during finals...

2kool4skool
12-30-2007, 08:00 PM
There aren't even close to 20 teams who could win the national title right now. Maybe 8 at the most.

SpeedDemon9
12-30-2007, 08:03 PM
Yet somehow the D3, D2, and D1-AA teams manage to have playoffs during finals...

We all know this, but the bigger conference schools are scared to change things up.

BOLT.
12-30-2007, 08:11 PM

They can work something out with the refs if they wanted to. Hell, they could just hire other refs to come in. I dont see this making or breaking the issue.

As for the exams, other schools do it. And everyone has exams at that time so they're on an equal playing field. Kids dont study 24 hours a day. They'll have time to practice and play games.

SpeedDemon9
12-30-2007, 08:17 PM
They can work something out with the refs if they wanted to. Hell, they could just hire other refs to come in. I dont see this making or breaking the issue.

As for the exams, other schools do it. And everyone has exams at that time so they're on an equal playing field. Kids dont study 24 hours a day. They'll have time to practice and play games.

This isn't about the refs, it is the College administration/staff who don't want this.

wesleybarrasso
12-30-2007, 08:26 PM
There against it because they make way more profit by doing the bowl games then they would having playoff's and all the presdients care about is the money. I would love to see maybe a bowl playoff like the sugar fiesta national champion and rose bowl they are all in a tournment.

Erik2806
12-30-2007, 08:33 PM
i like the idea of top 8. anything more than that seems to goes against what should be considered worthy of getting in. whats with this talk of 20+ teams?.. theres a reason small conference teams arent in the big games..its cuz they suck in the bigger picture. the only small conference winner for consideration to the national title is hawaii, while all the others have multiple losses. take a look at ucf. winning the conference usa, yet their
"all-american" rb cant even carry them to a win against miss. st?

guess talk is cheap though, cuz it doesnt look like theres change anytime soon..

big stud steve
12-30-2007, 08:34 PM
would never work..

the season can only be so long in college and i think BCS is much better..

xJustin
12-30-2007, 08:36 PM

but football players don't even take them anyways, teachers pass them regardless. lol

Runngunn29
12-30-2007, 08:43 PM
Actually the only big-name schools that voted for a playoff in 88' were Georgia, Louisville and Georgia Tech. The rest were all minor schools. It was voted to keep the bowls in a landslide.

But go blame it on the B10 and P10 only, makes sense. :rolleyes:

PowerBuilder08
12-30-2007, 08:46 PM
Actually the only big-name schools that voted for a playoff in 88' were Georgia, Louisville and Georgia Tech. The rest were all minor schools. It was voted to keep the bowls in a landslide.

Google Jim Delaney, look at the amount of power he has and the fact that he won't change it. He's one of the huge reasons it's not getting done.

So yes, a lot of the blame lies with the Big Ten Commish

Runngunn29
12-30-2007, 08:49 PM
^^^^ Oh God I hate Delaney, for many other reasons as well

leafs43
12-30-2007, 08:52 PM

It actually is because of the Big 10 and Pac 10.

Those 2 conferences usually only have 1 good team at a time that can usually run the table and have a better shot of getting into the championship game.

A playoff system would largely benefit conferences that are highly competitive such as the SEC and Big 12